Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
So proud to have Mike Jacobs as my rep. He's definitely earned by vote again.
Yup. Jacobs pretty much called his "colleagues" out on this and had the non discrimination wording added. That killed the bill. Thanks Jacobs. Sometimes one just has to call a spade a spade.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
They don't have anything better to do with their time damn

Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I have a feeling this will be back next year and every year thereafter.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
How are Atlanta's giant corporations and their lobbyists not able to permanently kill this?

Old 04-02-2015, 09:47 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have a feeling this will be back next year and every year thereafter.
And thankfully, it will get harder and harder to pass a bill like this as time goes on

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
How are Atlanta's giant corporations and their lobbyists not able to permanently kill this?
The people who support it REALLY support it and they work very hard to make sure their legislators know how they feel. They also play the long term game -- this was just round one.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,404 times
Quote:
The people who support it REALLY support it and they work very hard to make sure their legislators know how they feel. They also play the long term game -- this was just round one.
And the funny thing is that this bill would not mean anything here... At least not until gay marriage is legal here. Other that wedding catering, what other type of business would know or would want to know the sexual orientation of someone?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
And the funny thing is that this bill would not mean anything here... At least not until gay marriage is legal here.
Which may happen as early as this summer. That's probably why bigots are pushing so hard to try to get these laws on the books, before marriage equality has been the law of the land long enough for there to be a significant number of these events, and before they lose so much political power that they cannot get the bills passed anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Other that wedding catering, what other type of business would know or would want to know the sexual orientation of someone?
Florists, photographers. Maybe clothiers.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A comment belied by the fact that the topic of the thread is that which fosters "the unjust practices" I mentioned. I respect your right to dodge my repudiation of what you supported, but would rather you not try to so hard to make it seem like you didn't.

Laughter doesn't hide the fact that you didn't defend what you're supporting. You are very smart to realize that no one could rationally defend the indefensible perspective that you support. Again, I respect your right to try to save face by dodging the issue.

Let'see. Your "repudiation" includes comparing "the unjust practices" targeted by this bill to murder which is absurd, detailed an apparently toothless tyranny, and (of course) implied that anyone who would support the bill is characterized by bigotry and hate. Forgive me if I don't particularly see anything requiring a dodge there.

The real tyranny here is in the public discourse - it's political correctness on Red Bull. To merely state a belief that marriage is between a man and a woman is met with insults, derision and the obligatory "bigotry and hate".

I have stated it before but will again. This bill is not about discrimination. The real point of this bill is that no one should be forced to participate in an act (gay marriage) that contradicts their beliefs or threatened with fines/jail for not doing so. This doesn't deprive anyone of ANYTHING. Why would anyone want someone to be a part of their marriage that doesn't want to be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I don't give two ****s if you think gay people are "sinners", your viewpoint and your source book are backwards, irrelevant, and are NOT the foundation of our public policy.
Don't be so eager to be offended. You need to read the comment I was responding to to understand what is being said.

But at last we have found something we agree on. Our public policy is certainly not based on the Bible and there is abundant statistical evidence of this truth in the direction of our society.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Well actually, round two, it was defeated last year too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta