Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,186,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Ahm, but it doesn't say that discriminating is the same thing as loving God. Jesus loved everyone.
Of course he loves everyone and He was also crystal clear that some things are sin and separate us from God. If you have children do you have to do everything they request of you to love them? Of course not.

Loving God does mean standing for what is right and the Bible clearly states a position on what constitutes marriage.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:53 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Of course he loves everyone and He was also crystal clear that some things are sin and separate us from God. If you have children do you have to do everything they request of you to love them? Of course not.

Loving God does mean standing for what is right and the Bible clearly states a position on what constitutes marriage.
I am pretty sure that a church cannot be compelled to perform same sex marriages. Does not that offer sufficient protection?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
This is basically a total fabrication, and often what results when you get your news solely from the right wing echo chamber.

Here is a more factual take with a detailed timeline.

Anatomy of a Right-Wing Fabrication: No Threat to Idaho Wedding Chapel | Advocate.com

Most specifically relevant:

Quote:
Key things to know:

The city of Coeur d'Alene has on multiple occasions indicated that it is not threatening the Knapps with jail time, fines, or any other form of censure. City staff had previously indicated that the ordinance could apply to the Hitching Post, but the city now says the Hitching Post is exempt.

The first complaint filed with the city came after the media firestorm in which anti-LGBT commentators practically salivated at the perceived injustice. The city is taking no action against the Knapps as a result of that complaint.
Also, the headline is totally false. It was never about telling a pastor he had to perform a same sex marriage. It was about whether the owners of a wedding chapel could refuse to host the ceremony. If the business was operating as a for profit public business then non-discrimination ordinances related to public accommodation could apply, but it wasn't so they didn't.

Also, the first amendment will ALWAYS protect religious organizations and officers such as pastors from having to take any action against their faith as it relates to the organization.

But don't let some basic facts get in the way of your fake outrage.

This is another case about public accommodation. This is fundamentally different from religious organizations. Colorado has a non-discrimination law that protects sexual orientation in public accommodation. Hence, it is absolutely correct that people need to follow that. The federal one will be extended to include sexual orientation as well at some point. And yes anti-gay business owners will have to suck it up and deal the same way anti-black business owners had to when they could no longer turn away blacks.

That is what these "religious freedom" bills are trying to be about. It's a rejection of the desire to provide the same dignity to gays that people of all races now enjoy. As society has come to understood the immutability of sexual orientation, we've realized this same protection is justified. I can no more change the fact that I'm gay than I can change my race or any other immutable characteristic about me. I shouldn't have to worry about what public businesses I can engage in commerce with just because the business owner has a personal dislike for something about me.

The doubly stupid thing about this bill though is that it accomplishes nothing to even further the goal of allowing such discrimination. It is already legal in Georgia for businesses to discriminate against gays since Georgia has no state anti-discrimination law that covers sexual orientation. And when the federal one is ultimately extended to include sexual orientation, that would trump this law even if it were enacted. So this does nothing now and will do nothing later. The only thing it is for is to allow bigoted state legislators to express their distaste for the growing acceptance of gay rights in this country.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I am pretty sure that a church cannot be compelled to perform same sex marriages. Does not that offer sufficient protection?
Again. Here are a couple of cases found on Google search but this is only the beginning.

Idaho city’s ordinance tells pastors to marry gays or go to jail

BAKER FACES PRISON FOR REFUSING TO BAKE SAME-SEX WEDDING CAKE

Old 03-28-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark
I am pretty sure that a church cannot be compelled to perform same sex marriages.
That is correct. It also applies to all religious organizations (not just churches).

Again, this is bull****.

That case has nothing to do with churches or religious organizations. For profit businesses are completely different and do have to follow non-discrimination public accommodation laws.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is basically a total fabrication, and often what results when you get your news solely from the right wing echo chamber.

Here is a more factual take with a detailed timeline.

Anatomy of a Right-Wing Fabrication: No Threat to Idaho Wedding Chapel | Advocate.com

Most specifically relevant:

Also, the headline is totally false. It was never about telling a pastor he had to perform a same sex marriage. It was about whether the owners of a wedding chapel could refuse to host the ceremony. If the business was operating as a for profit public business then non-discrimination ordinances related to public accommodation could apply, but it wasn't so they didn't.

Also, the first amendment will ALWAYS protect religious organizations and officers such as pastors from having to take any action against their faith as it relates to the organization.

But don't let some basic facts get in the way of your fake outrage.

First, I don't get my news solely from a right wing echo chamber and I believe that the whole right-left debates are as silly as fighting for space on the Titanic. I simply did a Google search and this is what I came up with but I am certain there are other cases and we can be sure that this is only the beginning.

Secondly, and I am sure that the Advocate is completely impartial with no agenda.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
First, I don't get my news solely from a right wing echo chamber and I believe that the whole right-left debates are as silly as fighting for space on the Titanic. I simply did a Google search and this is what I came up with but I am certain there are other cases and we can be sure that this is only the beginning.

Secondly, and I am sure that the Advocate is completely impartial with no agenda.
The refutations of that fabricated piece came from the city.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
J2Rescue is an awful human being.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
J2Rescue is an awful human being.
I don't think so Ant. I respect his convictions and faith. I just don't agree with his position on this issue. But that's okay.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Jesus Christ wouldn't even support this bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta