Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM

198 posts, read 153,593 times

Advertisements

They need to demolish this place. I remember reading a story a couple years ago about police responding to the Darlington to investigate a dead body. While they were there, workers discovered an unrelated, badly decomposed body on a different floor. I believe foul play was ruled out in both cases, but still very creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
They need to demolish this place. I remember reading a story a couple years ago about police responding to the Darlington to investigate a dead body. While they were there, workers discovered an unrelated, badly decomposed body on a different floor. I believe foul play was ruled out in both cases, but still very creepy.
It didn't seem very safe even back in 1982... but I was just in my early twenties and from a small town, so I found it a "cool" NYC kind of vibe... at least what a kid from Palookaville might envision as being like that.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:43 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
It didn't seem very safe even back in 1982... but I was just in my early twenties and from a small town, so I found it a "cool" NYC kind of vibe... at least what a kid from Palookaville might envision as being like that.

honestly it is very cool. it seems safe now. there is a restaurant on the bottom floor that has the best black eyed peas i have had anywhere. the whole building has this 70s NY vibe, and even the parking lot out front, with the big trees and retro globe lamps is pretty cool. i am glad that the building hasn't been touched in the 3 years since this thread got started.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
"Among the many options: rehab the building to seek higher rents..."

I thought we needed more affordable housing intown....
We may need it, but developers want the most money they can get. The city's needs and their needs are often diametrically opposed.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Looks like the Darlington rehab is going forward.

Quote:
The cruciform complex, built in the 1950s, holds more than 600 apartments, many of which house people living on low or fixed incomes. Now, some of those residents worry they could end up homeless.

Hammond Residential bought the property in April 2017 for $30 million, according to Fulton County property records.

The 15-story brick high-rise has been positioned as developer bait since at least 2015.

And although the affordable high-rise has been described by residents as “the Buckhead ghetto,” due to issues with utility services—not to mention multiple violent crimes—the company’s website markets the Darlington online as “luxury living at its best.”

Reached by phone, a rep at Darlington’s leasing office said rent prices will indeed rise following the renovation.

More...Residents to be booted from Buckhead’s ‘only affordable apartment complex’

Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
I had a friend and co-worker I worked with at Rich's over twenty years ago who lived at the Darlington. She had a pretty cute apartment. I remember she slept on a day bed in the main room and used the rather small bedroom as a walk in closet. Anyway, the really weird thing I remember is that there was a man who lived across the courtyard from her who slept all night in the nude with no covers, his shades up, and his light on; she ALWAYS kept her shades down for this reason, but her constant complaints to management never had any results.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:05 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
The only thing I like about it is the population sign which is nearing 6 million. When I moved here in the early 90's it was at about 2.7 million.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:04 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...e-and-support/

Buckhead Christian Ministries is spearheading the process of helping needy residents relocate.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:37 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2...e-and-support/

Buckhead Christian Ministries is spearheading the process of helping needy residents relocate.
Excellent!

Old 09-29-2018, 10:22 AM

446 posts, read 396,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
"Among the many options: rehab the building to seek higher rents..."

I thought we needed more affordable housing intown....
So did I. I was reading about this in the local news sometime this past year. This doesn't seem to go along with that, which is a shame. The Darlington is right on MARTA and convenient to the whole city, as well as convenient to Piedmont.

It would be wonderful if it could be bought by a board and turned into another affordable senior building, which the area needs more of. Or just affordable housing, period. I thought Buckhead wanted to encourage its workers to live close-in, because of the horrible traffic. The last thing this stretch of Peachtree needs is another upmarket "development," commercial or residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta