Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:02 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
maybe so but it's kind of expected at this point. i go around the city and look at all the new apartment buildings and try to imagine what they're going to look like in 20+ years because neither i nor anyone i know very well can afford to live in what they're building now. honestly i have gotten used to kind of rooting on decay because that's the only way a lot of us get nice things. and honestly, places aren't really that interesting until they've had a few years to settle and become a part of things.
Some of these stick-builts may decline in price in years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 02:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If we have to rely on buildings degrading to "dump" status as being the prime drivers of affordable housing, something is really, really wrong.
No, it was affordable before it became a dump. I just got really bad due to several bouts of bad management.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,881,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Some of these stick-builts may decline in price in years to come.

i'm holding out for a condo in the new amli building across from the arts center station. i was in the parking lot of the pizza place next door and looked up at the building and thought i was looking at a mid-century apartment tower i had never seen before. most of the new stuff is obnoxiously bland but that one i like!

Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM

3,664 posts, read 3,944,979 times
Quote:
maybe so but it's kind of expected at this point. i go around the city and look at all the new apartment buildings and try to imagine what they're going to look like in 20+ years because neither i nor anyone i know very well can afford to live in what they're building now. honestly i have gotten used to kind of rooting on decay because that's the only way a lot of us get nice things. and honestly, places aren't really that interesting until they've had a few years to settle and become a part of things.
Go and look at Marq on Ponce (formerly Alexander on Ponce) behind the Georgian Terrace that's about 15 years old. It looks good.

It's all in how well it's maintained.

Even if these apartments were clad in marble and granite, come the next decade they won't be perceived as new, hip, or the latest and greatest, and won't have as much appeal.

Chalk it up to our consumerist lifestyle in America for which our entire economy shakily is riding on.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,127,480 times
Quote:
i'm holding out for a condo in the new amli building across from the arts center station. i was in the parking lot of the pizza place next door and looked up at the building and thought i was looking at a mid-century apartment tower i had never seen before. most of the new stuff is obnoxiously bland but that one i like!

You're gonna be holding out for a while if you're buying, AMLI Arts Center is nothing but rental apartments.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:22 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Yahoo! Looks like the Darlington will be saved after all!

It will be converted to affordable condos in the $300-500K range.

Buckhead’s last affordable living holdout will be converted to ‘affordable luxury’ condos

Old 06-22-2019, 04:01 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,881,847 times
Quote:
An earlier proposal called for a restoration of the 612 apartments, some of which would have been earmarked for people earning 65 percent of the area median income.
But Vardan backed away from that plan because the federal government wanted units set aside for people making even less than that—50 percent of the area median income—according to the paper.
they were even going to get *federal funding* to allow those units to remain affordable for low income residents and they rejected it because they think the people who live there are trash and they want to kick them out because they don't "deserve" to live there, despite how long they may have lived there, or how new these Vardan people are to the metro area. colonization continues on.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:50 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Default Buckhead to welcome Atlanta’s first ‘microtransit’ system

Who wants a free ride to and from the nearby MARTA stops?

In the near future, Buckhead is set to introduce the city’s first “microtransit” system, thanks to efforts by the Buckhead Community Improvement District.

The model will be similar to Uber and Lyft: Users will download an app that allows them to hail a ride, “and within minutes, a Mercedes 12-passenger Sprinter van arrives to pick them up and take them to their destination,” according to a Livable Buckhead press release..."

FULL STORY: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/9/27...t-system-marta

SOURCE: Curbed Atlanta

Old 09-28-2019, 07:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Who wants a free ride to and from the nearby MARTA stops?

In the near future, Buckhead is set to introduce the city’s first “microtransit” system, thanks to efforts by the Buckhead Community Improvement District.

The model will be similar to Uber and Lyft: Users will download an app that allows them to hail a ride, “and within minutes, a Mercedes 12-passenger Sprinter van arrives to pick them up and take them to their destination,” according to a Livable Buckhead press release..."

FULL STORY: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/9/27...t-system-marta

SOURCE: Curbed Atlanta
On-demand microtransit, Livable Buckhead operated the BUC shuttle for several years, but it operated on a fixed route.
This is not a solution, the on demand shuttle will still get caught in traffic. A truly revolutionary idea is giving transit priority over SOVs.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times
Skybuckets.

The only real solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta