Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 10:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,962,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dockery View Post
I haven't been out that way in a few years, now... how dos it look?

Is the Darlington still standing?
Oh yeah, it's still there. But I'm not sure of the status on the renovation.

What has changed in the neighborhood is the huge new tower at Piedmont up the street. It's pretty damn impressive, but the loss of the little hill and all the old trees is pretty jarring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:39 AM

783 posts, read 1,164,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh yeah, it's still there. But I'm not sure of the status on the renovation.

What has changed in the neighborhood is the huge new tower at Piedmont up the street. It's pretty damn impressive, but the loss of the little hill and all the old trees is pretty jarring.
During the time I lived in Atlanta I walked that area often... and lived in the Darlington for a while, #609.

I left in early 1983, and as far as I can recall, haven't been back inside the Darlingon since.

I was there in Summer/Fall of 1982, was walking to Oxford Books, when I saw the demolition of the Brookwood Hotel, in progress... ah, cameras were not as common as now, so no htos, only memory...

Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,857,518 times
I think all the tenants have been kicked out of the Darlington.

A medical building is going in where the front parking lot is now. Whether they intend to retain any of the old apartment building is not clear, but it looks like it would be a tight fit.

New medical offices to be built in front of Darlington Apartments

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8100...7i16384!8i8192

Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 AM

994 posts, read 503,969 times
I hope that they keep it.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,857,518 times
Sounds like crime had become something of an issue, at least in the eyes of some. But when you break it down, that's only 3 police calls a day and only a little more than 2 shooting incidents per month.

Quote:
Atlanta police say they recorded 438 calls for police to come to the building at 2025 Peachtree Road between June 1 and Dec. 17.

Sgt. Warren Pickard said 14 of the calls in the six-month period were for reports of shots fired. Pickard said he could not easily break down the reasons for all the calls, but “either way, that’s a lot of calls for one particular address.”

Police have received 438 calls to Darlington Apartments since June

Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM

23,507 posts, read 44,177,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like crime had become something of an issue, at least in the eyes of some. But when you break it down, that's only 3 police calls a day and only a little more than 2 shooting incidents per month.
"Only?" Jesus, what a rathole.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 AM

783 posts, read 1,164,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think all the tenants have been kicked out of the Darlington.

A medical building is going in where the front parking lot is now. Whether they intend to retain any of the old apartment building is not clear, but it looks like it would be a tight fit.

New medical offices to be built in front of Darlington Apartments

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8100...7i16384!8i8192
So... it seems that it is history...

Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,024,615 times
So torn about this. The Darlington for so many years stood as the largest (and one of last) places of affordable housing for low income people in Buckhead. While some might question why that's a good thing keep in mind that the hospital orderly, janitor or security guard at a fancy high rise, or domestic helper are the kind of folks that benefit from that housing availability.

On the other hand, that place is a complete and utter dump. Aside from the crime issues it was literal dump. Full of vermin, mold, and plumbing issues that were monumental. It needed to go or be overhauled.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,133,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
So torn about this. The Darlington for so many years stood as the largest (and one of last) places of affordable housing for low income people in Buckhead. While some might question why that's a good thing keep in mind that the hospital orderly, janitor or security guard at a fancy high rise, or domestic helper are the kind of folks that benefit from that housing availability.

On the other hand, that place is a complete and utter dump. Aside from the crime issues it was literal dump. Full of vermin, mold, and plumbing issues that were monumental. It needed to go or be overhauled.
If we have to rely on buildings degrading to "dump" status as being the prime drivers of affordable housing, something is really, really wrong.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,888,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If we have to rely on buildings degrading to "dump" status as being the prime drivers of affordable housing, something is really, really wrong.

maybe so but it's kind of expected at this point. i go around the city and look at all the new apartment buildings and try to imagine what they're going to look like in 20+ years because neither i nor anyone i know very well can afford to live in what they're building now. honestly i have gotten used to kind of rooting on decay because that's the only way a lot of us get nice things. and honestly, places aren't really that interesting until they've had a few years to settle and become a part of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta