Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
As the fallout from this event continues I believe it willl shine a light on the many quality of life fails in Atlanta. People living absurd distances from their places of work, aging road infrastructure, terrible decision making (storing flammables under a major highway), how close this city actually is to total gridlock, a total lack of usable transit to take up the slack, the racism inherent in counties like Gwinnett voting against MARTA: whose residents will now bear the brunt of commuting without I-85, etc. This next month will be interesting.
You do know a lot of the people most affected by this live intown right? All the surface streets around that area are just a mess. My sister lives off Peachtree north of Midtown and it's just a constant parking lot. A lot of the areas around Lindbergh are also heavily congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:54 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I work on the Northside and thankful I have access to marta. Hopefully no one was hurt but it may make a case for expanded transit.
Especially in Dekalb and Fulton where I think there should be at least 10 more heavy rail stations ITP.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Shout-out to the people in Gwinnett. This is what you get for not ha ing MARTA. Good luck in traffic tomorrow. Lol
You make a good point Tony. Racism can back fire on people.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 AM

376 posts, read 330,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I honestly think "fast track" would be four months (or or possibly more). As I said upthread, it's not simply rebuilding it - they know how how to do that. It's all the preliminary investigation, reports, communication between federal and state agencies, etc. Since it's such an important slice of the highway system in Atlanta, no doubt they will fast track it. But, it's gonna be more than a month.
Yes thats about right. I'd say around Labor Day might be what to expect.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
Yes thats about right. I'd say around Labor Day might be what to expect.
Labor Day sounds about right,

FastTrack 24x7 operation..

In Washington State on the I5 They had a "Temporary" bridge up in 3 week, at the 4 month point they had a new span installed.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Default I want to clarify this statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
And folks are still against building a northern arc??? This should open up some folks eyes.
I understand this happened ITP but a second outer perimeter would have made I-85 less of a needed commodity particularly with heavy freight traffic. The expansion of MARTA to the edge cities would have helped tremendously because folks could have just drove to the station, parked and used transit to completely avoid the problem. I'd imagine if one line reached Cumberland/Suntrust Park and one line reached Gwinnett Place Mall the area wouldn't be hurting as much as it is now.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:43 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
So any commuters have traffic updates?

This is just another example of why living 35+ miles from your workplace is silly. Not sure why some people want to add 2 hours to their workday sitting in the car even without bridge collapse traffic.
Judge, much? Maybe because you want your children to go to excellent schools and you want to live in a house that has more than 1.5 baths for a family of 4 that doesn't cost 3/4's of your monthly take-home?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:44 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
People in the know are saying only about 6+ months, 9 max.

18 is insane.
That's encouraging. I just know that Pensacola took about 3 years after the hurricane destroyed the Escambia Bay Bridge.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I dont think its as bad as the media is making out to be. At least it happened on a Thursday evening and not a Sunday night. The situation does point to a lot of problems of the Connector 85 75 20 & 400 being life or death of us getting around the city. Maybe its just Braves karma.
What possible difference would it make to have it better to collapse on a Thursday during rush hour instead of a Sunday evening?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
It's pretty clear that some did because an excessive amount of people came down 400 and are getting diverted off at Sidney Marcus or Lenox. I don't think that many people would be doing that if they knew
Sidney Marcus/Lennox is awful on normal rush hours. On bad days, that last couple of miles getting to 400 down Cheshire Bridge can take 30 minutes. I can't even imagine what its like over there today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta