Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
You make a good point Tony. Racism can back fire on people.
Yes, it can. In the yrar of 2017 we still have people making decisions based on their racism instead of economics and quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 AM

57 posts, read 103,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Judge, much? Maybe because you want your children to go to excellent schools and you want to live in a house that has more than 1.5 baths for a family of 4 that doesn't cost 3/4's of your monthly take-home?
Agree. Not only that, not everybody is in position to afford living closer in; or packing up and go every time there's a job change or even a site move. Also, people choose to live in areas they find more suitable to their family needs or wants, which may not necessarily jive with the job sites (crime, amenities, schools, quality of life, etc.)

I for one wouldn't live or be willing to pay up for living closer to downtown Atlanta. Having a longer commute is but a speed bump (no pun intended) in an otherwise fantastic situation I have.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
So any commuters have traffic updates?

This is just another example of why living 35+ miles from your workplace is silly. Not sure why some people want to add 2 hours to their workday sitting in the car even without bridge collapse traffic.
Because of the schools and housing is much more affordable.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
As the fallout from this event continues I believe it willl shine a light on the many quality of life fails in Atlanta. People living absurd distances from their places of work, aging road infrastructure, terrible decision making (storing flammables under a major highway), how close this city actually is to total gridlock, a total lack of usable transit to take up the slack, the racism inherent in counties like Gwinnett voting against MARTA: whose residents will now bear the brunt of commuting without I-85, etc. This next month will be interesting.
Infrastructure should be made priority in this country but they turn it into politics and put people's lives in danger.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:03 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
As the fallout from this event continues I believe it willl shine a light on the many quality of life fails in Atlanta. People living absurd distances from their places of work, aging road infrastructure, terrible decision making (storing flammables under a major highway), how close this city actually is to total gridlock, a total lack of usable transit to take up the slack, the racism inherent in counties like Gwinnett voting against MARTA: whose residents will now bear the brunt of commuting without I-85, etc. This next month will be interesting.
Good Points. Lots of good points.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Good Points. Lots of good points.
How about you refresh our memories for us OnyxStation. When was the last binding MARTA vote in Gwinnett again?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:11 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sidney Marcus/Lennox is awful on normal rush hours. On bad days, that last couple of miles getting to 400 down Cheshire Bridge can take 30 minutes. I can't even imagine what its like over there today.
Surprisingly not that bad. I got through the light at Lenox and Buford to the Cheshire/Piedmont intersection in about 8 minutes total. Everyone at the Cheshire/Piedmont intersection was falling for the trap of getting to the Buford connector that way when in reality if you just made the left and went down to Rock Springs and looper back up Monroe it was 10 minutes faster

Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
What possible difference would it make to have it better to collapse on a Thursday during rush hour instead of a Sunday evening?
2 words.

The Weekend

Old 03-31-2017, 09:13 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You do know a lot of the people most affected by this live intown right? All the surface streets around that area are just a mess. My sister lives off Peachtree north of Midtown and it's just a constant parking lot. A lot of the areas around Lindbergh are also heavily congested.
You are absolutely right. I live in Morningside and it took almost 2 hours for me to get to my office in Dunwoody this morning. Cheshire Bridge was a parking lot, and Piedmont, Wellbourne, and Lenox Rd were backed up for nearly a mile with people trying to turn right onto Cheshire Bridge. I finally gave up and took the Buford Hwy Connector south from Monroe to 75N to 285E. What a nightmare this is going to be...

Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Yes, it can. In the yrar of 2017 we still have people making decisions based on their racism instead of economics and quality of life.
2017? I thought racism didnt exist anymore. All you need is an "education" and life will be fair for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta