Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
As someone who lives a 5 minute walk away from STP and The Battery, the traffic has been an non-issue. Some of neighbors prematurely sold anticipating that nightmare, jokes on them.
Yep. The only time I've had any traffic issue there is right as the game lets out over around the uber pickup area. That area is a nightmare. But, everything else is fine. I think spreading the parking around, allowing people to come from any direction and not have to funnel into one area, helped a lot. Although it sucks that they got rid of some of the parking shuttles from the places a 15+ minute walk away.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:17 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Good luck to the Braves in the playoffs.
Thank you for that nice comment cq. I for one love ATL United most right now, followed by these very admirable current Braves. Regardless of my property value interests.

And I love what they did with Turner for GA State and Summerhill. Absolutely loved seeing GA State beat Tennessee.

I'm planning to move away next year but I Have a Dream that one day the metro can be more united instead of always this like resentful mindset of CofA vs Cobb, or ITP vs OTP or suburbs vs closer in suburbs blah blah.

With that said, Cobb needs MARTA and there needs to be some negative consequences for not having it and not participating in a more connected metro. I just wish that the internal-metro cross-river hate wars or whatever would chill out a bit. Not anyone's or either side's fault but I just like to see when an in-town urbanist says something nice about something (indirectly) related to Cobb or a Cobb person says something nice about in-town. We can grow up and get past this divide. Just my hope anyway, to see that.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Sam - You are right that I was using a partial year attendance count for 2018 of 28,660 instead of the correct full year 31,553. The average attendance at SunTrust Park is "only 600" lower at 31,753.

But it is still lower average attendance than Turner Field still.

Beyond that, y'all tell yourself what "context" you feel you need to. Or you could just go enjoy watching your team and the great on-field performance they are having at SunTrust Park. Getting higher attendance numbers was never part of their strategy when moving out of the city. They are making buckets of money just like they planned.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:20 PM

11,820 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sam - You are right that I was using a partial year attendance count for 2018 of 28,660 instead of the correct full year 31,553. The average attendance at SunTrust Park is "only 600" lower at 31,753.

Beyond that, y'all tell yourself what "context" you feel you need to. Or you could just go enjoy watching your team and the great on-field performance they are having at SunTrust Park. Getting higher attendance numbers was never part of their strategy when moving out of the city. They are making buckets of money just like they planned.
I have to agree with this.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:30 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Less than a 2% difference, and only when including the way higher first two years of Turner more than 20 years ago.

Quote:
Beyond that, y'all tell yourself what "context" you feel you need to.
You mean, like normal people?

Quote:
Getting higher attendance numbers was never part of their strategy when moving out of the city. They are making buckets of money just like they planned.
Except, they ARE getting higher attendance. The attendance is higher than the last 18 years. You have to go back more than twenty years to pull a higher attendance average. And this year's attendance was higher than any of the last 15 years at Turner, except for one. Last year's was higher than the last 14 years at Turner, minus two.

You can keep pushing away context in terms of hanging onto an attendance average based on two years more than 20 years ago, but your end conclusion is fairly irrelevant to anyone who cares. No one cares what happened twenty years ago. Do you plan your life around singular events that happened 20 years ago? Do you buy a house based on your income from 20 years ago? Would you try to get a business loan based on a valuation from 20 years ago? This is why context matters, and why no one with any degree of intelligence would say that SunTrust is doing worse than Turner. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, except the very fringe, agenda-driven ones.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:39 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,406,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Less than a 2% difference, and only when including the way higher first two years of Turner more than 20 years ago.

You mean, like normal people?

Except, they ARE getting higher attendance. The attendance is higher than the last 18 years. You have to go back more than twenty years to pull a higher attendance average. And this year's attendance was higher than any of the last 15 years at Turner, except for one. Last year's was higher than the last 14 years at Turner, minus two.

You can keep pushing away context in terms of hanging onto an attendance average based on two years more than 20 years ago, but your end conclusion is fairly irrelevant to anyone who cares. No one cares what happened twenty years ago. Do you plan your life around singular events that happened 20 years ago? Do you buy a house based on your income from 20 years ago? Would you try to get a business loan based on a valuation from 20 years ago? This is why context matters, and why no one with any degree of intelligence would say that SunTrust is doing worse than Turner. It's not, by any stretch of the imagination, except the very fringe, agenda-driven ones.
He's moving the goalposts to fit his narrative as usual lol. I dont think there's literally anyone that would come on here and say that the game day experience was better at Turner Field than it is at the battery.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
There you go again with that "context". (I put it in double quotes because I'm an edgy cool guy.)

Old 09-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have to agree with this.
You have to agree that a for-profit company has a goal to make money?

Old 09-26-2019, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
With that said, Cobb needs MARTA and there needs to be some negative consequences for not having it and not participating in a more connected metro. I just wish that the internal-metro cross-river hate wars or whatever would chill out a bit. Not anyone's or either side's fault but I just like to see when an in-town urbanist says something nice about something (indirectly) related to Cobb or a Cobb person says something nice about in-town. We can grow up and get past this divide. Just my hope anyway, to see that.
A cohesive, metro transit system would be a catalyst to a more connected metro.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
All I have to say is I have only ever been to Turner Field for events there.

I've been to the new field for events there.

BUT.... I've also been to the Battery for:
Concerts at the Roxy.
To eat at the restaurants there.
To visit a friend who lives in the apartments there.

The Battery is a zillion times better than Turner Field because it HAS restaurants, businesses, an awesome concert venue, and apartments.

There's really nothing else to say. It's not even a contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta