Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Many in here wanted them to fail so bad. Yet they seem to be doing much better. I know it sucks that it doesn't fit the narrative of many here. Also, the game day experience is 10x better at the battery than what it was a Turner Field.
The aftermath of the Braves' "divorce" with the CoA seems to be working out for both Braves fans and the CoA better than I thought it would. Can't help but think about the Cobb taxpayers, though.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
The aftermath of the Braves' "divorce" with the CoA seems to be working out for both Braves fans and the CoA better than I thought it would. Can't help but think about the Cobb taxpayers, though.
I am a Cobb tax payer, and I'm ok.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:29 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I am a Cobb tax payer, and I'm ok.
Same here, I mean my Cobb property taxes and sales taxes are at least both a lot lower than City of Atlanta, so, I mean. I haven't had much issue with high taxes.

If anything the opposite, I would prefer higher taxes in Cobb, and more public services (like better and more public transportation and parks and libraries, etc.).

The stadium's net impact on my wallet is sort of unclear to me, since its existence has definitely contributed positively to my home value.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Yeah, worked out better for both Braves and the City of Atlanta. Braves got their Disney World where they get a cut of all the revenues. And Summerhill gets rid of the Braves that had been holding the land around them hostage. Myself and most city tax payers are quite glad we did not take on the liability / debt to build the Braves a new stadium.

My only hope is that a minor league team locates near the city center. I still miss going to baseball games regularly. Only made it to three this season.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:59 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Except Summer Hill other than that one piece of land right where the stadium is still sucks once you go up the hill and cross the railroad tracks. The crime is still sucky as is most everything else. But yea, it is nice for that one little spot right there where GSU is. Source, my family still lives over there.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:14 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, worked out better for both Braves and the City of Atlanta. Braves got their Disney World where they get a cut of all the revenues. And Summerhill gets rid of the Braves that had been holding the land around them hostage. Myself and most city tax payers are quite glad we did not take on the liability / debt to build the Braves a new stadium.

My only hope is that a minor league team locates near the city center. I still miss going to baseball games regularly. Only made it to three this season.
Outside of building another stadium for "your" minor league team on the corner of Peachtree & 14th street, how much closer to the CoA than Suntrust can be? The ballpark is literally 2 miles from the city/line border, unless Buckhead is not CoA enough for you. It's not like SunTrust Park is in Buford or Villa Rica.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:25 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Outside of building another stadium for "your" minor league team on the corner of Peachtree & 14th street, how much closer to the CoA than Suntrust can be? The ballpark is literally 2 miles from the city/line border, unless Buckhead is not CoA enough for you. It's not like SunTrust Park is in Buford or Villa Rica.
There is a better chance of the CoA annexing the Cumberland area (and STP) than a minor league team relocating to ITP.

If you want ITP baseball, it's Georgia Tech, Georgia State when they eventually move to Summerhill, or Oglethorpe.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:28 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
There is a better chance of the CoA annexing the Cumberland area (and STP) than a minor league team relocating to ITP.
That idea would at the very least solve the whole MARTA problem. I believe. Since Atlanta is its own MARTA jurisdiction regardless of county.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:33 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
I can count on one hand the number of times I have visited in Cobb County in the last 5 years. It is just not that convenient for many of us in town, especially that do not own a car. Plus the Braves made it pretty clear they are "all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta". So I am not really in their target audience anyways.

Great for those of you that live and / or work there. But I am still hopeful that we get a team that is convenient for folks in Atlanta. Getting a minor league team to share the new baseball stadium with GSU in Summerhill would be ideal. In fact, I would prefer that they get additional use out of that stadium over building a new one just for a minor league team. I'd love to watch games be played on the Atlanta-Fulton Co Stadium diamond again, and home runs hit over the same wall where Hank Aaron broke the record. Not to mention, a reason to visit all the new restaurants and things opening up in Summerhill.

But yeah, it is certainly not worth hundreds of millions of tax dollars going to build a new stadium.

I will probably check out some of the GSU games anyways. But the college level games I have been to before just do not have the same atmosphere. We will see.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:13 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Even if Cobb joined MARTA it would probably be a cold day before they ever built a rail line out there. South DeKalb has been waiting for half a century and still has decades to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta