Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 12:03 PM

561 posts, read 781,482 times

Advertisements

It's so frustrating how long it takes for projects to go from concept to completion in this country. There has got to be a better way. Reforms are BADLY needed for these processes. This is sad.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:15 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
It's so frustrating how long it takes for projects to go from concept to completion in this country. There has got to be a better way. Reforms are BADLY needed for these processes. This is sad.
Well this is what happens when the Little Man pays taxes to the Big Government. You're lucky if you get anything in return. Look at the California High Speed Rail. They've been had, as the City of Atlanta taxpayers.

Anyhow, knowing how it is around here, did you expect anything different? I knew there wasn't going to be any ground breaking any time soon.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well this is what happens when the Little Man pays taxes to the Big Government. You're lucky if you get anything in return. Look at the California High Speed Rail. They've been had, as the City of Atlanta taxpayers.

Anyhow, knowing how it is around here, did you expect anything different? I knew there wasn't going to be any ground breaking any time soon.
This is the result of urban renewal and environmental regulation. Before this federal, state, or city governments could use eminent domain to tear down homes, businesses, etc. Environmental regulations ensure that endangered species, residents, and natural protected areas won't be negatively impacted.
But hey this is taking too long! Let's be more like China and just build it, who cares about nearby residents, businesses, and the environment.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is the result of urban renewal and environmental regulation. Before this federal, state, or city governments could use eminent domain to tear down homes, businesses, etc. Environmental regulations ensure that endangered species, residents, and natural protected areas won't be negatively impacted.
But hey this is taking too long! Let's be more like China and just build it, who cares about nearby residents, businesses, and the environment.
But, does it really take 3-5 years to figure those things out?

Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
FTA studies can take awhile. That is why MoreMARTA Atlanta is proposing Summerhill BRT, North Ave BRT, and Streetcar East Extension as the first projects funded because they will not require matching federal funding.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why is it going to take 5 yrs to get a BRT bus service going and 15 yrs for the beltine to be completed on a right of way they already have.

Sadly many of us will be dead before metro ATL gets transit where it needs to be going. Only $4-5 gas prices over a extended time would speed that up.

20-30 years is the blink of an eye in terms of transit planning and development. "We will build no line before its time."

Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yep, and it ain't just rail construction either.

Preliminary engineering for I-285/GA 400 began in 1993, with ground-breaking a quarter-century later.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:22 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
One thing that you can do besides voting is donations to the Beltline. Myself included. I'm going to start contributing. I have no right to complain if I'm not doing something to change it.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:23 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Its the Feds paying for things and the Environmental protections.

If you pay for it yourself, it can be done in less than half the time. Texas has done that with some toll roads.

But in fairness, I think some of this delay is a pay as you go philosophy, waiting for the sales tax to come in.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its the Feds paying for things and the Environmental protections.

If you pay for it yourself, it can be done in less than half the time. Texas has done that with some toll roads.

But in fairness, I think some of this delay is a pay as you go philosophy, waiting for the sales tax to come in.
They can leverage bonds against future tax collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta