Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I see where you are coming from on some level, but relating it to economic success is a unfounded logical jump. As others have posted, Asian countries are obviously not influenced by Western religion, but they have their own beliefs. Europe is not the bastion of quality of life that you make it out to be - but even where life is really good in Europe it has more to do with lack of diversity and the presence of small homogeneous nations rather than lack of religion.
A quick google search shows Korea to be at least 30% Christian and growing upwards of 9% a year, so hard to make blanket statements.

BUT HOW ON EARTH DID A DISCUSSION OF MILTON COUNTY END UP HERE?

If any of you go back, you will see one guy who blasted conservative Christians for North Fulton's problems with the rest of Fulton. Several, myself included debated him on the validity of this argument, so no need to go on with a debate on the role of religion in the economy of the world's nations. Anyone who visits this site knows to stay on topic and this thread has gone as far off the OP as any I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 12:07 PM

83 posts, read 113,421 times
...back on topic
I think there will definitely be discussion in the GA for 1 reason...Jan Jones has made it her mission in life to make it happen, and being that she is #2 in leadership she is going to force the issue. The reason the MARTA 50/50 split and the regional transportation governance issues failed was because she held it hostage trying to force the Fulton Co delegation to back an amendment to the state constitution (since they couldn't get it done with just R's). My guess is she will do the same thing again. Also, with redistricting there will be a more Republican Fulton Co delegation. Now I think the Fulton Co commission has well outlived its usefulness (if it ever was useful), and the budgets they have is outrageous. I also think Emma Darnell is about as much of a racist as the people she likes to lob that term towards. Just look at the amount of money the county has had to pay out because of racism she was behind in some way (librarians, promotions...etc). They (legislature) need to reduce the size of Fulton Co government...not Fulton Co

Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
There will be some changes in Fulton County government, and the push for Milton is still there when one pays attention to local elections in north Fulton. Some of the candidates running for local office have made the Milton County platform one of the issues they are running on.

Keep in mind, Milton county will a have very small to zero chance of being recreated because of the current Georgia constitutional law to limit the number of Georgia counties to 159.

The only way Milton might get recreated anytime relatively soon is if some other rural, depopulated Georgia county decides to merge with another one and chances are quite slim-to-none this will happen anytime soon, unless some Georgia counties go completely bankrupt.

For the most part, the rest of the politically-active people outside of north Fulton really do not care about this issue.

This topic has been covered here in this forum with other details, but I cannot find the thread to link to about it at the time of my post.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
T

This topic has been covered here in this forum with other details, but I cannot find the thread to link to about it at the time of my post.
This one shows up at the bottom of this topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...nts-split.html

Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
North Fulton will push hard for it.

Sure, it'll be great for people north of the city limits, but what about the rest of us who get left holding the bag? We carried the load for North Fulton for decades, and it hardly seems fair for them to take off and leave us in the ditch.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
North Fulton will push hard for it.

Sure, it'll be great for people north of the city limits, but what about the rest of us who get left holding the bag? We carried the load for North Fulton for decades, and it hardly seems fair for them to take off and leave us in the ditch.
Is that really the case? I mean, is there real data showing the rest of Fulton carrying the load while N Fulton was being established, and without reciprocal benefit from its creation?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM

83 posts, read 113,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
There will be some changes in Fulton County government, and the push for Milton is still there when one pays attention to local elections in north Fulton. Some of the candidates running for local office have made the Milton County platform one of the issues they are running on.

Keep in mind, Milton county will a have very small to zero chance of being recreated because of the current Georgia constitutional law to limit the number of Georgia counties to 159.

The only way Milton might get recreated anytime relatively soon is if some other rural, depopulated Georgia county decides to merge with another one and chances are quite slim-to-none this will happen anytime soon, unless some Georgia counties go completely bankrupt.
Which is why its an important observation about the new redistricting map making the Fulton delegation majority republican. THEY WANT TO AMEND THE STATE CONSTITUTION!
Thats whats been holding it up. They couldnt get the Fulton delegation to approve a vote on letting the full body vote...they can now. Thats why you saw all the Jan Jones MARTA maneuvers trying to force the Fulton Co democrats to support letting this amendment go to the floor for a vote then to the ballot. This is a real threat to everyone in Fulton and Atlanta...dont dismiss it because it is more likely this session than its ever been before.
Questions about whether Milton would contribute to MARTA, who will provide the county based services and at what cost...these are legitimate questions Jan Jones should have to answer...wake up people or dont complain when it comes to fruition

Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahsloop View Post
Is that really the case? I mean, is there real data showing the rest of Fulton carrying the load while N Fulton was being established, and without reciprocal benefit from its creation?
When Milton joined Fulton County it was bankrupt. It relied almost totally on cotton farming and had been slammed by the boll weevil. There were almost no paved roads, no healthcare, very minimal education facilities (broken down one room schoolhouses), no sanitation or water system, no means of caring for the poor and a population of only 6,500.

By contrast, the city of Atlanta at that time had a population of 275,000. There were numerous hospitals, hotels, skyscrapers, banks, insurance companies, an extensive water and sewer system, scores of churches, major universities, public parks, major intra and interstate train stations, a poorhouse, an extensive public transportation system, interurban trains, an airport and large department stores. It was the state capitol, the home of the federal and state appellate courts, and and thriving newspapers. There was professional baseball, a symphony orchestra, an opera company and just about everything a bustling city of that era could have. There were 50 fully staffed elementary schools and a large library system.

30 years later, the population of Atlanta was nearly 490,000, whereas all the rest of Fulton County -- including South Fulton, Sandy Springs, Roswell, and all of Milton County -- was only 556,000. Even by 1970 the entire non-Atlanta population only made up 25% of Fulton County.

So yeah, the north part of Fulton County basically rode the economic and cultural engine of Atlanta for at least half a century.

Do I think North Fulton is getting a fair shake on its tax contributions these days? Nope, not at all. The Fulton County commission has been poking them in the eye for way too long.

However, the history of Milton's dependency is fact. That's why I think the rest of the county deserves some consideration. It's not right to show up on somebody's doorstep when you are destitute, stick around and be supported for 50 years, and then simply bolt when times are fat.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,374 times
Milton County and Fulton County are barely geographically connected, and pretty much look contrived when you see the way current day Fulton looks. I mean, maybe Atlanta should share a tax base with Troop County or Laurens County?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM

What if Milton said, "Look, Fulton, we appreciate all your help in our times of need but things have changed now. Here's all your money back, and we'll be on our way."

Who could object to that?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta