Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Yes we all know NYC offers better amenities that no brainer. I shop at century 21, Top shop, Jamaica Ave, Canal, H&M, Zara, Urban outfitters. those are the places I like to go. Right but housing is a mjor factor because thats what you going to spend most of your money on. How are you going to enjoy the amenties around NYC if you cant really afford to pay the high rent. If I only made 70,000 dollars and i lived in NYC what can that get me. If I made 70,000 in Atlanta what could that get me. Including amenties and all.
Of course if you make the same money, then ATL is a no-brainer. The OP's offer is $75K more in NYC. In my opinion, that can make up for the housing differential with all other things being equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
I totally agree with everything vsmoove had to say.......the only thing I would like to know from the OP is why would you leave somewhere you already live and I assume like? I mean why are you considering NYC at all is it strickly becasue its more money or you actually would like living there? Salaries aside where would rather live?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
It all depends on your lifestyle. If you want to live in Manhattan, you can certainly, in these economic times, find a decent place to rent. Outside the city, you could live about an hour commute (by train).

One thing to consider is which location gives you more opportunity for advancement. Also, could you work in NYC for a few years and then move back to Atlanta?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM

487 posts, read 1,815,432 times
You can live just fine in NYC with that type of money, if I had that offer I would run, fly, jump to NYC. I moved from NY to here for the cheaper housing but I miss NY, Atlanta is ok but I miss my family and friends. You need to look at other things than just the money. Do you have family and friends in NY?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
It all depends on your lifestyle. If you want to live in Manhattan, you can certainly, in these economic times, find a decent place to rent. Outside the city, you could live about an hour commute (by train).

One thing to consider is which location gives you more opportunity for advancement. Also, could you work in NYC for a few years and then move back to Atlanta?
Ehh... my commute from Downtown Brooklyn to Manhattan was less than fifteen minutes by subway... If you live on the Hudson River in NJ, it will be about 10-20 minutes... if you live in Queens close to 57th Street Bridge, it will be 20 minutes... if you live in Riverdale in the Bronx, it will be about 20 minutes... and those places are very affordable with that salary.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,126 times
I lived in Atlanta from 93-99, NYC from 99-05, and am back in Atlanta since Jan 06. Without a doubt, there is no comparison in terms of culture, diversity, things to do, etc - NYC is #1. But, I specifically moved back to Atlanta soley because I could not afford it anymore. It took almost 2 years for me to stop pinning to go back, too. I made ~200K/year when I was living in NYC and I can tell you it goes FAST! I had a beautiful apartment I paid 2600/month for, but it was a large studio in a brand new high rise buildng on the 42nd floor in midtown. To get a similar apt, but larger you are looking at 3000+. And that is for a large 1 bedroom. If you ever want to live like a normal person with 2 bedrooms and good closet space in a good doorman building you are looking at 4000+. I was 34 years old when I left. I left because I knew I could not realistically spend that kind of money on rent - let alone save money for retirement, invest, travel, and potentially OWN my own place in NYC... (thats a whole other topic, but you are looking at minimum 700K for a really nice 1 bedroom with space/closets to buy). Add on top of that taxes and those darn condo fees/maintenance fees - it would be impossible for me to do. So here I am in Atlanta, making GREAT money ~150K/year. I'm living in a beautiful condo in midtown, have money to save, invest, travel, spend. Yes, I don't have all that NYC has to offer, but for me I had to decide on a direction for my life and I chose to live BELOW my means. The freedom I have to do what I want (within reason) is priceless. My advice for you is this: if you are young GO FOR IT - move to NYC and enjoy it for a couple years. The experience is worth the risk - just try to save some money so you aren't totally strapped. If you are older (relative term, I know) I'd say stay in ATL and take the 150K salary. Living on 225K in NYC is doable, but I can tell you that cabs, dining out, etc will easily cost you 2K/month so factor that in....it adds up very quick. When you live in Atlanta, you can cook in, have people over, and generally spend less day to day. NYC is like living in 1 big mall - lots of window shopping and temptations to spend spend spend. Good luck - let us know what you decide to do!!!

oh - forgot to say, I lived on the Hudson River across from 72nd Street for 4 years and LOVED that area - got to take the ferry in/out everyday and it was great. I lived in the city on 54th and 8th for 2 years and that was great too. Of course the city was convenient, but I got a lot more for my money in NJ and sometimes my commute to downtown for work was quicker that others that lived on the Upper East.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillot1 View Post
I lived in Atlanta from 93-99, NYC from 99-05, and am back in Atlanta since Jan 06. Without a doubt, there is no comparison in terms of culture, diversity, things to do, etc - NYC is #1. But, I specifically moved back to Atlanta soley because I could not afford it anymore. It took almost 2 years for me to stop pinning to go back, too. I made ~200K/year when I was living in NYC and I can tell you it goes FAST! I had a beautiful apartment I paid 2600/month for, but it was a large studio in a brand new high rise buildng on the 42nd floor in midtown. To get a similar apt, but larger you are looking at 3000+. And that is for a large 1 bedroom. If you ever want to live like a normal person with 2 bedrooms and good closet space in a good doorman building you are looking at 4000+. I was 34 years old when I left. I left because I knew I could not realistically spend that kind of money on rent - let alone save money for retirement, invest, travel, and potentially OWN my own place in NYC... (thats a whole other topic, but you are looking at minimum 700K for a really nice 1 bedroom with space/closets to buy). Add on top of that taxes and those darn condo fees/maintenance fees - it would be impossible for me to do. So here I am in Atlanta, making GREAT money ~150K/year. I'm living in a beautiful condo in midtown, have money to save, invest, travel, spend. Yes, I don't have all that NYC has to offer, but for me I had to decide on a direction for my life and I chose to live BELOW my means. The freedom I have to do what I want (within reason) is priceless. My advice for you is this: if you are young GO FOR IT - move to NYC and enjoy it for a couple years. The experience is worth the risk - just try to save some money so you aren't totally strapped. If you are older (relative term, I know) I'd say stay in ATL and take the 150K salary. Living on 225K in NYC is doable, but I can tell you that cabs, dining out, etc will easily cost you 2K/month so factor that in....it adds up very quick. When you live in Atlanta, you can cook in, have people over, and generally spend less day to day. NYC is like living in 1 big mall - lots of window shopping and temptations to spend spend spend. Good luck - let us know what you decide to do!!!

oh - forgot to say, I lived on the Hudson River across from 72nd Street for 4 years and LOVED that area - got to take the ferry in/out everyday and it was great. I lived in the city on 54th and 8th for 2 years and that was great too. Of course the city was convenient, but I got a lot more for my money in NJ and sometimes my commute to downtown for work was quicker that others that lived on the Upper East.
I completely agree. Living in the city can drain you... not only because of housing prices but there is so much to do and you want to do it all... you could dine at a different great place every day of the week for a year. But, again, you won't be spending 3 or 4K for an apartment outside of the city.

Again, folks NYC is much bigger than Manhattan! The vast majority of folks who live in NYC live outside of Manhattan because they can't afford it either... if you are not getting Wall Street type bonuses or are not lucky enough to live in rent control buildings, you probably will never be able to afford to buy a sizeable place.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

176 posts, read 729,787 times
I currently live in NY and my husband and I have travelled with military to different places. I can tell you this NY is expensive and every day it is getting more and more outrageous. Not just that, NY is very competitive you will not enjoy what you do from all the over working. You will be over worked for that 225k by the time you get home late from working over time in office you are too exhausted. Than after working a long shift and you tired you have to get on crowded trains, no seat you have to stand under stinky people arms get pushed and shoved all over. When you get home you literally drop to sleep wake up the next day and do it all over again. By the time the weekend comes you are much to tired to deal with the hustle of the city.

Taxes in NY is very high after tax for single person you're left with nothing even married with kids you're still left with nothing. If you live in the city area and you want a decent location you will pay at least 3g for 1bdrm and this is a small bdrm, no washer, dryer, dish washer nothing. You have to go out to wash your clothes even if it is in building still an incovenience. You can go to outer boroughs and get bigger space but again you still will not have washer dryer. Depending on where you are you have to travel. NY employers over work their employees everyone is in competition, if your sick or whatever you need to be on point no one really cares.

The whole point I'm trying to make is we spend most of our time in the work place, you need to enjoy what you do or even like it. Here in NY you have no time to even think about that because of all the stress daily. In ATL you will not be over work as you would be in NY, giving you time and energy to do many things, like traveling to visit NY, Paris and having a whole lot of options. The only option here in NY is work hard and pray you can get home to get some sleep. ATL job will give yoiu more options and therefore more fullfillment. Not just working to pay pricey apartment and that's it. Your money does not go far at all here in NYC.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I currently live in NY and my husband and I have travelled with military to different places. I can tell you this NY is expensive and every day it is getting more and more outrageous. Not just that, NY is very competitive you will not enjoy what you do from all the over working. You will be over worked for that 225k by the time you get home late from working over time in office you are too exhausted. Than after working a long shift and you tired you have to get on crowded trains, no seat you have to stand under stinky people arms get pushed and shoved all over. When you get home you literally drop to sleep wake up the next day and do it all over again. By the time the weekend comes you are much to tired to deal with the hustle of the city.

Taxes in NY is very high after tax for single person you're left with nothing even married with kids you're still left with nothing. If you live in the city area and you want a decent location you will pay at least 3g for 1bdrm and this is a small bdrm, no washer, dryer, dish washer nothing. You have to go out to wash your clothes even if it is in building still an incovenience. You can go to outer boroughs and get bigger space but again you still will not have washer dryer. Depending on where you are you have to travel. NY employers over work their employees everyone is in competition, if your sick or whatever you need to be on point no one really cares.

The whole point I'm trying to make is we spend most of our time in the work place, you need to enjoy what you do or even like it. Here in NY you have no time to even think about that because of all the stress daily. In ATL you will not be over work as you would be in NY, giving you time and energy to do many things, like traveling to visit NY, Paris and having a whole lot of options. The only option here in NY is work hard and pray you can get home to get some sleep. ATL job will give yoiu more options and therefore more fullfillment. Not just working to pay pricey apartment and that's it. Your money does not go far at all here in NYC.
This is what I was trying to tell Vsmoove.. There has to be a reason why NY naitives are moving south to places like Charlotte Atlanta, Houston , Dallas is because you can have more for your money. there are enough amenties in these cities to get by. and trust the Dollar can go alot further in the south than the North.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
For me, personally, it would be a no-brainer. But in the opposite way from many others..I'd prefer Atlanta over NYC. I'm not so much into the "oh my god there's so much to do" type, so the hustle and bustle of NYC just doesn't really appeal to me, unless i had a crapload of friends or something. Seven straight years of travel for entertainment shows gave me all the culture I ever needed. I still like to go out and all that, but don't need a new place every day. Atlanta is just much more my style.

I make a little less than 2/3 of what you are looking at making in Atlanta, and even at that never worry about money. Own a townhome just 10 minutes from downtown and midtown and have pretty much everything we need. With $60k MORE per year, I can't imagine the things I could do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta