Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rork View Post
Hey JPD, which apartment complexes on Idlewood are you talking about? I've seen some that didn't look that great not too far from the intersection with Lawrenceville Hwy. Is that it?

As you may remember from some of my other posts, we've been looking into buying a house off of Idlewood Rd. If everything goes well, we'll be moving into our new home in Classic Village next month.

Looks like we'll be neighbors.
The complexes I'm talking about are on Idlewood across the street from Tucker Middle School (that's probably the one you're referring to). Also, there's a complex which is on Fellowship Road, one block from the intersection of Idlewood and Fellowship. I don't know the names of them.

I think Classic Village is a fine area and has been as long as I can remember. Good luck with that!

I was at Idlewood Elementary last night for a community meeting. Looks like there's some development going on over there (across Hwy. 78 from Classic Village), but it's probably going to be fairly high-end homes...seems like that's all they build these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:52 AM

44 posts, read 172,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
The complexes I'm talking about are on Idlewood across the street from Tucker Middle School (that's probably the one you're referring to).
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about.

Quote:
I think Classic Village is a fine area and has been as long as I can remember. Good luck with that!
Great! Thanks! It's a pretty much a done deal. Just a few formalities to be worked out. We're pretty excited about that!

Quote:
I was at Idlewood Elementary last night for a community meeting. Looks like there's some development going on over there (across Hwy. 78 from Classic Village), but it's probably going to be fairly high-end homes...seems like that's all they build these days.
Hmmm... I wonder where exactly. There are some pretty good looking duplexes right across 78 from Classic Village. I will have to drive there again and look around. I sure hope those will be some nice houses and not low-quality apartments...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 AM
JPD

Quote:

Hmmm... I wonder where exactly. There are some pretty good looking duplexes right across 78 from Classic Village. I will have to drive there again and look around. I sure hope those will be some nice houses and not low-quality apartments...
I think they said at the meeting that it was going to be 56 homes. I took that to mean 56 individual houses and not apartments, condos or duplexes. I could have that number slightly off. I don't know where the development is exactly, but there is a new traffic light on one ond of the bridge, and some areas were taped off. It was on the right side of Idlewood if you're heading away from downtown Tucker towards E. Ponce de Leon.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I think they said at the meeting that it was going to be 56 homes. I took that to mean 56 individual houses and not apartments, condos or duplexes. I could have that number slightly off. I don't know where the development is exactly, but there is a new traffic light on one ond of the bridge, and some areas were taped off. It was on the right side of Idlewood if you're heading away from downtown Tucker towards E. Ponce de Leon.
OK, thanks! I want to drive there anyway this weekend, so I'll look for it.

See you soon in the neighborhood!

Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Oh, and to the thread-starter, before we settled for the southern part of Tucker, we looked at some houses in the north, and especially in the Smoke Tree neighborhood. It looked really nice and we were pretty excited about one of the houses there. Then, we did some research and found out that that area has been apparently going down-hill recently.

Incidentally, somebody posted here a link to this article from USA Today about foreclosures in Atlanta. There was a whole paragraph there about that neighborhood and how bad it's gotten lately.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, and to the thread-starter, before we settled for the southern part of Tucker, we looked at some houses in the north, and especially in the Smoke Tree neighborhood. It looked really nice and we were pretty excited about one of the houses there. Then, we did some research and found out that that area has been apparently going down-hill recently.

Incidentally, somebody posted here a link to this article from USA Today about foreclosures in Atlanta. There was a whole paragraph there about that neighborhood and how bad it's gotten lately.
Never mind, I got it all wrong. Apparently, that's a different neighborhood I was thinking of. Sorry...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 282,390 times
Quote:
Never mind, I got it all wrong. Apparently, that's a different neighborhood I was thinking of. Sorry...
What is the commute like from Tucker to Midtown? (M-F, 8-9 am and 5-6 pm)

Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut2k View Post
What is the commute like from Tucker to Midtown? (M-F, 8-9 am and 5-6 pm)
I'm not sure about Tucker to Midtown, but Tucker to Downtown (Five Points/Fairlie Poplar) is 25-30 minutes of driving (NOT on the highway). I leave at 7:20 and I'm siting at my desk a few minutes before 8. I think the traffic between 8 and 9 is similar. The afternoon drive can be a bit worse, but not too bad. I leave work at 4:30 and get home by 5:10. I think leaving at 5 would make the commute 10 minutes longer.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,697 times
Default Thinking about buying in Tucker

My wife and I are a young couple looking to buy our first house. We are currently looking in Clarkston & Tucker. We want a safe neighborhood being that I travel quite a bit for business. I would love to here what people think about the area. The Tucker homes we are looking to buy are in the area of Idlewood, off of Ponce near Clarkston. The Clarkston homes are off of Ponce, on the border of Stone Mountain and Clarkston. I currently live in Decatur, 30033 and am looking for info on these areas from people familiar with them.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times
Default Here is the deal

My wife and I are a young couple looking to buy our first house. We are currently looking in Clarkston & Tucker. We want a safe neighborhood being that I travel quite a bit for business. I would love to here what people think about the area. The Tucker homes we are looking to buy are in the area of Idlewood, off of Ponce near Clarkston. The Clarkston homes are off of Ponce, on the border of Stone Mountain and Clarkston. I currently live in Decatur, 30033 and am looking for info on these areas from people familiar with them.
----------------------------------------------------

I don't know if you've already moved, but I was a police officer in the Tucker, Clarkston and Stone Mountain area for 5 years. I know every inch of the place. DO NOT move into Clarkston unless you want to be plauged daily with Burglary, Shootings in strip malls, and Armed Robbery. Let's not forget home invasions...though probably less likely unless you're into selling drugs. Tucker is a GOOD area with the exception of the Pleasantdale Rd area where the apartment complexes are. I would advise staying OUT of that small area. Tucker can be a bit pricey though 250-400s. Tucker is a good community and seems to keep the crap out somehow. The boundary between "good and bad" would be Brockett Rd. You're taking a chance the further South on Brockett Rd you go. I'd say a good rule of thumb is this...If it's South of Lawrenceville Hwy then No Go, If it's North or Lawrenceville Hwy then Go.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta