Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
That may effect projects within Austin, but would not stop the state from building needed roads around the city itself, like an I-35 bypass to the east of the city that would have kept I-35 in town from being the mess it is today. There is a lot of blame that can be spread around upon many agencies. I suppose traffic will just be one of those prices we pay for living in the area. At some point traffic is going to be a reason that people stop moving here, which might not be a bad thing.
Roads construction in the Austin area are in conjunction with the plans approved by the federally mandated Metropolitan Planning Organization, formerly the Austin Transportation Study, now known as the Capitol Area Metropolitan Planning Organization. The 1994 council appoint two vocal opponents to ATS who joined with a similarly aligned Travis County rep to basically shut down new road construction by amending the approved plan to end all planned limited access highways in the Austin area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
The quality of life in Austin is the main reason for growth. Things like parks, trails etc are a large contributing factor to that quality of life, otherwise Austin would look like Dallas or Houston. Yes I agree that the city needs to make transportation improvements on city streets, but that does not address the over crowded state highways in the area. I believe TXDOT has failed to provide adequate funding to expand state roads in the Austin area for decades now. They could have routed an I-35 bypass east of Austin a long time ago, but somehow now all we can get are more toll roads. Even with all the transportation problems, Austin is still an awesome place to live.
As long as there are jobs, people will keep flocking here.
The rest is an exaggeration, as those other places also have high growth and decent marks on QOL, parks/trails etc.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,685 times
That map makes me so mad, Scm. And the same yahoos who kept us from having a proper road system are blaming traffic on everyone but themselves.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

36 posts, read 42,813 times
Capacity upgrades alone rarely solve problems. Just kicks the can down the road.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx1626 View Post
Capacity upgrades alone rarely solve problems. Just kicks the can down the road.
Creating a proper ring road system isn't merely "creating capacity". And that's the nonsensical attitude that led to us having a completely inadequate road system in the first place.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
Here are aerial photos of Dallas and Houston:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/744692.jpg
http://www.metroviews.com/images/720...ERIAL_3440.jpg

And here is Austin:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I'm fine with a ring road, but personally I think we dodged a bullet by avoiding the typical highways carving up downtown and central neighborhoods (as the 1985 plan would have done). Dallas is already trying to bury some of those close-in highways to create the kind of urban continuity Austin has.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
That may effect projects within Austin, but would not stop the state from building needed roads around the city itself, like an I-35 bypass to the east of the city that would have kept I-35 in town from being the mess it is today. There is a lot of blame that can be spread around upon many agencies. I suppose traffic will just be one of those prices we pay for living in the area. At some point traffic is going to be a reason that people stop moving here, which might not be a bad thing.
They did build it...it's called Texas 130.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 PM

577 posts, read 512,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They did build it...it's called Texas 130.

That is a private built toll road. I-35 should have be re-routed that way a long time ago to get the through traffic out of Austin. Obviously the toll road isn't working, the company that built it is in financial trouble.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM

36 posts, read 42,813 times
Quote:
That is a private built toll road. I-35 should have be re-routed that way a long time ago to get the through traffic out of Austin. Obviously the toll road isn't working, the company that built it is in financial trouble.
Most of the roads in that plan were to be tolled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Creating a proper ring road system isn't merely "creating capacity".
That 1985 plan is a joke. The cross-town freeways would have met with revolt and the other roads don't answer any of the following questions:

How did the 1985 plan upgrade 35 and MoPac from their antiquated designs? Even at 50-100K AADT less, those roads would still be massively congested.

How does the proposed outer ring in the 1985 plan aid the dominant, longitudinal commute patterns in the area in 2014?

We've seen the eastern half of the ring road (SH 130) fail to keep through trucks off of 35 due to a combination of distance (15 miles or so) and tolls. Why would the western half of that loop, one of similar length and also heavily tolled, fare any better?

The Manor and future Bergstrom Expressways, in combination, are a far more effective use of transportation dollars than blowing a road through some hills in Lakeway (and trust me, I'm not shedding a tear for anyone in Lakeway). That would have failed like every other beltway in this state has failed either due to sprawl or lack of use. People like to compare traffic in San Antonio to traffic here, but outside of traffic on the northeast side up to New Braunfels, the traffic patterns aren't at all analogous.

You can't just snap your fingers and say "more roads will solve Austin's woes", much like you can't just snap your fingers and say "we need a train!". Road upgrades and mass transit options, as part of a nuanced plan, are needed and both are coming.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm fine with a ring road, but personally I think we dodged a bullet by avoiding the typical highways carving up downtown and central neighborhoods (as the 1985 plan would have done). Dallas is already trying to bury some of those close-in highways to create the kind of urban continuity Austin has.
The only inner city highway in the '85 plan is one I probably would have opposed as well - the Koenig freeway. But 360 should be a freeway as was always envisioned, 183 should already be freeway from 290 to 71, and we should have a ring road because of our growth in jobs in the outer ring (10-35 mi from downtown), where we had the third largest percentage growth in the nation. We are a polycentric job market, with a unicentric road network.

The bastardization of the "induced traffic demand" argument is interesting. What's has happened is that that urban religionists have taken that theory - where added road capacity in static populations is filled because of:

• Diverted traffic that changes its route onto the improved capacity.
• Rescheduled traffic that previously used the facility at a different time (spreading or contracting the peak).
• Shifts from other modes -- which may or may not have used the facility before -- including changes in occupancy.
• Destination shifts resulting from the improvement of the facility.
• Additional travel by persons already using, or in the market for, the facility.

They have perversely used this theory from static populations, to falsely argue against added road capacity in growing populations - because not adding capacity in Austin has worked so well, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin