Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Maybe if you and the high priest of the First Church of Urbanism would allow some of us to live as we prefer - the same way we are willing to let you live as you prefer - then people might stop pushing back.

Ring roads are often disasters for suburbanites too!

I'm not a particular advocate of urbanism other than in my personal choices. I do think the Paris example is instructive in that it points to the danger of a center-periphery dynamic. It seems that Austin is devolving into an area where folks in Lakeway/Bee Caves never come downtown and central folks never go out there -- it will make any regional transportation solution -- even your ringroad, more difficult to implement. I can't imagine driving on 620 every day, I was only out there for the first time in about 15 years two months ago, and I wouldn't be happy about having to pay for a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,449 times
I feel like an idiot because I ignored your main question. they move here because it is either cheaper than where they come from or they perceive it to be, incorrectly.
Look at this chart from NY.
Meet the "Typical" Roommates of New York City « Roommates by Apartment List Roommates by Apartment List
LA...
Roommates-by-LA-Neighborhood Guide is Hilariously Wrong - Bad Infographic Thing - Curbed LA

The rents there are $1200.00+

Last edited by creepy; 05-01-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 09:34 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times
It's cheaper, it offers a fresh start, its warmer, it sounds good in the magazines. They'll worry about the other crap when they get there as they hear more good than bad.

It seems no different to me than any other "hot warm cities" in the last 30 years. Pheonix, Tuscon, Vegas, Orlando..... take your pick. I remember everyone flocking to Arizona at one point years ago. Now they are flocking to Texas.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,005 times
I really thought this question was rhetorical.

In no particular order for most all moving here all one needs is a few of these boxes to be ticked.

Compared to where many are coming from:

-Cheaper housing
-Better public schools
-Safer
-Better employment numbers
-Perceived Hip factor
-Warmer
-Cleaner
-Clean slate factor
-No state income tax
-Cowboy hats
-BBQ
-Live music
-Optimism (aside from CD)

Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Man, I am ready for school to be out so we get that summer traffic pattern started......

Old 05-04-2014, 12:25 PM

115 posts, read 160,703 times
Austin IS NOT overcrowded, the transportation system is the one that is overcrowded, The city is fine, great schools and services in general, a lot of greenbelts, now what it needs is an aggressive transportation and new roads growth...

Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,956,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse2000 View Post
Austin IS NOT overcrowded, the transportation system is the one that is overcrowded, The city is fine, great schools and services in general, a lot of greenbelts, now what it needs is an aggressive transportation and new roads growth...
Says the person who still doesn't live here.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:30 PM

440 posts, read 714,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
OMG! Paris' ring road is an utter disaster! It has basically destroyed the city and turned it into a fortress! It completely reinforces K's point! Talk about suburban sprawl and congestion and social exclusion!
To really make it work, you need a series of rings - as in Amsterdam and London. The canals do the job too. And of course in A'dam there are bike paths everywhere. But both cities either outright ban traffic from many central areas, or limit the hours; and A'dam also has street cars and canal boats in the core. On the other hand, when a country is full, IT IS full; there are 100 mile long traffic jams as those who either choose or can't afford to live in the main cities of employment go to work. People live on houseboats, some legal some not; and squatters are allowed to occupy buildings to escape the elements. There really is such a thing as *full*.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,575,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
-Cowboy hats
I saw more cowboy hats living in California than Austin, but I did live near a Marine base. I normally go weeks or months in Austin before I see someone wearing a cowboy hat.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:59 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Says the person who still doesn't live here.
by what metric do you think Austin is crowded.

It simply is not crowded by any reasonable metric - it's one of the lowest density cities of its size in the entire planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin