Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
After all, south and south central Texas are called the flash flood capital of the world. Some people just don’t research an area much before relocating.

Well, if the OP had asked me after our first FIVE years(half a decade) here, I would have told him it's dry as heck!!! HOT(record-setting years) AND DRY(record-setting years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
It was pretty darn hot and dry today. My thermometer read 103, yikes!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It was pretty darn hot and dry today. My thermometer read 103, yikes!
Getting a little dampness right about now, depending on the part of town Nice drop to 80 degrees, also

Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 AM

11,814 posts, read 8,023,382 times
I had to drive back to Atlanta and I'm pretty sure I hit the same storm that came through Austin again in Mississippi. It was a lightning show then a wall of rain between Jackson and Meridian. Couldnt see squat. I outran it...I'm pretty sure it will catch up with me again.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I had to drive back to Atlanta and I'm pretty sure I hit the same storm that came through Austin again in Mississippi. It was a lightning show then a wall of rain between Jackson and Meridian. Couldnt see squat. I outran it...I'm pretty sure it will catch up with me again.
Been there and done that! MANY trips from ATL to Jackson(Madison) and back over the years...facing the rising or setting sun on I-20 or the walls of water falling from the sky! Not fun.
Looks like MS will get much more of this current storm development than we will.
Would be interested in knowing the route you use from Austin to Shreveport...we've gone four different ways over the years. I've never driven the "southern" route down toward the Gulf.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Been there and done that! MANY trips from ATL to Jackson(Madison) and back over the years...facing the rising or setting sun on I-20 or the walls of water falling from the sky! Not fun.
Looks like MS will get much more of this current storm development than we will.
Would be interested in knowing the route you use from Austin to Shreveport...we've gone four different ways over the years. I've never driven the "southern" route down toward the Gulf.
Per Google Maps I-35 to U.S. 79 in Waco to I-20 just outside of Tyler is the fastest. I went that way one time and never again. Too many towns and stop lights. Now I just go up to DFW and cut across I-20. This trip would be the first time I hit inclement weather on the several (probably atleast 15 at this point) times I've done this drive.

When I moved here I went I-85 to I-65 to I-10 to TX-71 ..
The DFW route seems to be a bit faster. Theres too many towns in Lousiana on I-10 then you also have to fight Houston full on so it adds about 2 hours to the drive especially during holidays. When I went back for Thanksgiving I made the big mistake of going via I-10 and sat in Lousianna for like 9 hours. I even had to get off the I-10 on several accounts and run back roads.

This would be the first time on this trip I actually felt tired after arriving in Atlanta. Was virtually running on steam. I'm still not done either. I have to go to Bowling Green KY tonight. Then back to Atlanta and be back in Austin for Monday.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

This would be the first time on this trip I actually felt tired after arriving in Atlanta. Was virtually running on steam. I'm still not done either. I have to go to Bowling Green KY tonight. Then back to Atlanta and be back in Austin for Monday.

You were either VERY lucky or have nerves of tungsten to prefer the drive down 35 from Dallas. I've done it a half-dozen times and can't figure out why that highway has been under construction for 11 years!!!

Your driving schedule sounds like mine when I was a sale rep. 42000 miles in one year, 40k in another. Some of those years were under the national 55mph Interstate speed limit.

Mountain Dew was my friend

Keep an eye on the storm this weekend!

Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You were either VERY lucky or have nerves of tungsten to prefer the drive down 35 from Dallas. I've done it a half-dozen times and can't figure out why that highway has been under construction for 11 years!!!

Your driving schedule sounds like mine when I was a sale rep. 42000 miles in one year, 40k in another. Some of those years were under the national 55mph Interstate speed limit.

Keep an eye on the storm this weekend!
Oh man I would cry if I was forced to do 55 on these trips. Usually I'm doing between 80 and 83 in Texas, and 77 - 80 anywhere else except Lousiana which I do about 75 - 77 due to the large presence of state troopers.

Texas for the most part you can pretty much fly through without much trouble as long as you stay below 90 from what I've seen.

Lousiana I have to becareful in.

Mississippi can be random but usually it's fairly decent.

Alabama may as well remove all their speed limit signs. The only enforcement I've ever seen in that state is on I-459 in Birmingham.

Georgia you can also easily get away with 80 if you're in the Atlanta area. I even had a cop literally say 'just do 75 like everyone else and you'll be fine.'

I-35 is mostly done now. The section in Temple seems to be finished. I think there is still one other work zone in Waco but overall it's much better than it used to be.

I-10 should undergo upgrades similar to this to San Antonio.

Yeah I put alot of miles on my car. I bought my SS brand new in March of 2018 with 300 miles on the odometer right before moving to Austin. July of 2019, or barely 1 year later - I have 31,000 miles on the odometer. Fortunately I also have an extended warranty and free oil changes. I've already exhausted 1 set of tires. I also used my other car to drive to / from Atlanta twice so some of the miles were divided.

My dad was a truck driver and he took me over the road when I was a kid. Ever since then my life has always belonged to the interstate.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-11-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Quote:

Brace yourself! I've just made the drive to DFW and back several times in the past 3 months and it has gotten so much better! Be here almost 30 years and I think it is the best it has ever been, virtually all the contruction is done, 3 lanes and 75 MPH pretty much all the way!

I still have PTSD going through Hillsboro, the years of the construction through there really took a toll but now you just breeze through! The Temple/Belton horror of recent years is done too! IT IS UNBELIEVABLE! Traffic is steady pretty much the whole way, never an empty road, but I am not kidding, I have left Austin at 4 pm on a Friday and was free-flowing the entire way into Dallas and onto 75!

Try it out!

Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 PM

Oh boy. Looks like it isnt over for me yet.

I'm typing this from Bowling Green KY, I have to be back in Atlanta tomorrow and then Austin on Monday... and my route is right through the trajectory of Hurricane Barry. I'm highly considering leaving Atlanta early tomorrow and cutting through Arkansas instead of Louisiana. Think I should try that? It's out of route but Camaros are NOT fun in downpours or floods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin