Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Oh boy. Looks like it isnt over for me yet.

I'm typing this from Bowling Green KY, I have to be back in Atlanta tomorrow and then Austin on Monday... and my route is right through the trajectory of Hurricane Barry. I'm highly considering leaving Atlanta early tomorrow and cutting through Arkansas instead of Louisiana. Think I should try that? It's out of route but Camaros are NOT fun in downpours or floods.
Good luck with all that!!! Some of my Pickleball buds are staying here in Austin for a few extra days rather than making their drive back to central Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:46 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,689 times
The thing I would be concerned about are storms accompanied by high winds, etc. that can cause tall trees to fall across roadways in some parts of either state, and along the way. This happened to someone in my family...not hit, but came by shortly after. I haven’t followed this storm’s predicted effects closely, though. Stay aware, and have a safe trip.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Brace yourself! I've just made the drive to DFW and back several times in the past 3 months and it has gotten so much better! Be here almost 30 years and I think it is the best it has ever been, virtually all the contruction is done, 3 lanes and 75 MPH pretty much all the way!

I still have PTSD going through Hillsboro, the years of the construction through there really took a toll but now you just breeze through! The Temple/Belton horror of recent years is done too! IT IS UNBELIEVABLE! Traffic is steady pretty much the whole way, never an empty road, but I am not kidding, I have left Austin at 4 pm on a Friday and was free-flowing the entire way into Dallas and onto 75!

Try it out!
We just went to dallas a few weeks ago and google had us bypass waco on a parallel road to I35. It supposedly saved us a 40 minute slowdown.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
We just went to dallas a few weeks ago and google had us bypass waco on a parallel road to I35. It supposedly saved us a 40 minute slowdown.

DW wishes she had gotten a notification like that a couple of weekends ago. ONE lane southbound for a bit outside of Temple and much of the newer 3-lane was choked into two lanes...naturally with folks afraid to pass clogging the left lane

Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Good luck with all that!!! Some of my Pickleball buds are staying here in Austin for a few extra days rather than making their drive back to central Florida!
Yeah. I'm detouring. I got off at I-22 in Birmingham and am heading to Memphis and cutting across I-40. According to the weather map I am just outside some of the storm as I type. I was hauling to Birmingham. I'm probably going to be just barely outside of it for the entire duration of I-40. I-30 looks like it is already getting hit so I am going to go to U.S. 75 and head south in Oklahoma.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Oh boy. Looks like it isnt over for me yet.

I'm typing this from Bowling Green KY, I have to be back in Atlanta tomorrow and then Austin on Monday... and my route is right through the trajectory of Hurricane Barry. I'm highly considering leaving Atlanta early tomorrow and cutting through Arkansas instead of Louisiana. Think I should try that? It's out of route but Camaros are NOT fun in downpours or floods.
Just wanted to remind you that Barry is forecast to cut straight up through Arkansas from top to bottom starting on Sunday. 90 percent chance of rain, several inches.

Gonna be hard to get around this storm if you're driving from Atlanta to Austin.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yes. They are in tornado alley. Austin is not. Dallas is drier in the summer. Anyone who looks at a climate map that a 4th grader can read would see Sustin is not in the desert.
Austin certainly is not immune to tornadoes. May 27th, 1997 the Austin area had one of the worst tornado outbreaks in the history of tornadoes. There were like 20 funnels over a three county area.

The one that hit Jarrell, Tx was F-5 and was one of the most powerful tornadoes ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_C...rnado_outbreak

Old 07-13-2019, 09:53 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Austin certainly is not immune to tornadoes. May 27th, 1997 the Austin area had one of the worst tornado outbreaks in the history of tornadoes. There were like 20 funnels over a three county area.

The one that hit Jarrell, Tx was F-5 and was one of the most powerful tornadoes ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_C...rnado_outbreak
Oh. Absolutely. I never said we were immune to them. But, again, it’s not in tornado alley.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM

11,816 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just wanted to remind you that Barry is forecast to cut straight up through Arkansas from top to bottom starting on Sunday. 90 percent chance of rain, several inches.

Gonna be hard to get around this storm if you're driving from Atlanta to Austin.
I'm about 100 miles from Texarkana. I had to rest. About to get the heck out of dodge now.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I'm about 100 miles from Texarkana. I had to rest. About to get the heck out of dodge now.
Driving in the middle of the night anywhere near a storm is no bueno! Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin