Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 06:02 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,957,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Watermelons.... ( green on the outside, red in the middle )
I know someone who calls them the browns. Can't remember what it means though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 07:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
I suspect the banning order was lifted in NSW more out of 'the look' that would have been broadcast around the world. Imagine, cities where the virus really played out like London, Stockholm, Paris, Toronto, besides USA cities and not forgetting Auckland, allowing such an event, while Sydney was seen around the world as being authoritarian, over zealous policing with the likely confrontations and arrests of hundreds, perhaps more.

Hardly good for social distancing or virus prevention, but neither is crowed public transport and the rush to return to normalcy, evident in many countries.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:43 AM

You reckon that's what they were thinking about? I thought it was more towards all the other cities here not banning it, and the potential backlash from the protest attendees.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
You reckon that's what they were thinking about? I thought it was more towards all the other cities here not banning it, and the potential backlash from the protest attendees.
Obviously with other Australian cities refusal to ban in mind as well. I'd have thought that would have went without saying? The international look of protesters being dragged away by police though probably most in the minds of authorities.
The backlash of attendees already mentioned.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I suspect the banning order was lifted in NSW more out of 'the look' that would have been broadcast around the world. Imagine, cities where the virus really played out like London, Stockholm, Paris, Toronto, besides USA cities and not forgetting Auckland, allowing such an event, while Sydney was seen around the world as being authoritarian, over zealous policing with the likely confrontations and arrests of hundreds, perhaps more.

Hardly good for social distancing or virus prevention, but neither is crowed public transport and the rush to return to normalcy, evident in many countries.
The ban was lifted by the NSW Court of Appeal. I doubt the justices paid any heed to the optics of it.

I didn't understand the point of asking the court to rule it illegal in the first place. It just got everyone's backs up and probably got more people on the street.

The court will release its reasons on Tuesday.

I seriously wonder how many people would have turned up in more normal times. My guess is far fewer. It looked as though there were quite a few there for something to do.

Last edited by BCC_1; 06-07-2020 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-07-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The ban was lifted by the NSW Court of Appeal. I doubt the justices paid any heed to the optics of it.

I didn't understand the point of asking the court to rule it illegal in the first place. It just got everyone's backs up and probably got more people on the street.

The court will release its reasons on Tuesday.

I seriously wonder how many people would have turned up in more normal times. My guess is far fewer. It looked as though there were quite a few there for something to do.
Any reason can of course be put forward than the likely real one. Hardly matters. I agree though the banning like got 'people's back up' and rightly so. It would have Sydney look rather oppressive and not the desired image to broadcast abroad, for reasons already expressed.

Obviously in more 'normal' times the turn out would have been far less. But same would apply elsewhere. World events have derailed 'normal times' and the local sheriff exercising over zealous power of arrest, frankly wouldn't cut it.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:02 AM

It looks as if Perth will be staging their second BLM protest next Saturday June 13. Last one, on a Monday evening, in the CBD attracted over 1.000 people, somewhat large I suppose for Perth, considering the time and warnings.

The government is obviously asking not more than 300 gather in Hyde Park, a park just out of the city. So far, some 18000 have expressed interest over Facebook. It looks like the 300 figure will be easily breached.

This is growing momentum everywhere. The last time I witnessed such a public out pouring to protest in Perth, was a few years back against the culling of sharks. That was at Cottesloe Beach and a subject that aroused considerable public passion at the time.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:09 AM

It's insane. There were BLM protests held in Mildura, Echuca and Rochester here. When's the last time a protest was held in those towns?

Old 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
It's insane. There were BLM protests held in Mildura, Echuca and Rochester here. When's the last time a protest was held in those towns?
Its would be very rare to see a protest in Brisbane big as the one we had on saturday. Lots of bored people looking for a good excuse to break social distancing i would imagine.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5w3fiYc9D&s=10

Old 06-07-2020, 02:14 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
The downside is places where those on lower end are forced back to work. If they arent protected from eviction for non payment rent or cant get food, or dont own land, then little choice in matter. Its worse in places like India, Africa, and South America. Some there its truly day by day existence.

Honest though, one sure isnt forced to go to night clubs, restaurants, barbers, and such, unless thats how you make your living. So until this pandemic is resolved, I personally would stay away from people as much as possible beyond earning an income and buying food. Doesnt help a lot (will lower exposure some) if your coworkers or grocery clerk or whoever you are exposed to, dont take precautions.

Oh well, love of money blinds lot people. Just a fact of life. And unless you have your own private bunker out back of beyond stocked with 5 year food, suppose no guarantees whatever you do as an individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand