Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
That above is all good to hear and it is what is needed to be done.

I am finding though that a lot of restaurants are not keeping the register of visitors and I am not sure who is meant to be policing it.

Everyone seems busy booking local holidays now as the situation overseas is not at all promising.
The aspect I miss most about my 36 years living in Sydney is being able to go to any number of restaurants, with a huge range of cuisines, and the later hours they keep. Where I live now, there are only a handful of decent restaurants and they treat you like you're completely mad if you want to book a table after 7pm!

In these Covid times I've only utilised take-away, but it's odd that you're finding restaurants aren't keeping a register of visitors... especially when it has always been totally normal to give a name and phone number when you book a table. Sure, it's a bit more work taking everyone's name and phone number rather than just the person making the booking... but still, it shouldn't be beyond their ability!

I hope plenty of people do book local holidays, especially within their own state and - perhaps even more especially - to areas that were hit by the double whammy of fires and/or the drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 09:18 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yeah, but outside of Victoria the virus was basically eliminated in other states. I posted somewhere in this thread that up to last week NSW had had 7 community cases in the previous month whereas Victoria had 43. So it was already circulating in the community in Victoria and then thousands of people crammed themselves together. Maybe its a coincidence, but 3 people at that event have tested positive.
Makes sense to me, I just looked there are only 2 known active cases of the disease in Queensland at the moment- Both are on the Gold Coast.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,524,778 times
I guess we now won’t be going to the Gold Coast in late July as we had hoped. I also hope Queenslanders do their best to travel in their own state. We have lost thousands from our holiday property and there are some people, unlike me, who derive their whole income from the tourist industry.

We are booked for a few days near Byron in January. Seemed safer than Noosa, border wise.

At least where I had coffee this morning was taking customer details.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:38 AM

1,226 posts, read 724,665 times
There is a serious spike in cases reported in Melbourne.... other states not so bad. The Northern Territory is opening its borders on July 17.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:02 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
What the hell is going on in Victoria? Security guards having sex with quarantined people. Why on Earth did Daniel Andrews outsource the security of people in quarantine to a private security company? It's breathtakingly stupid.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
What the hell is going on in Victoria? Security guards having sex with quarantined people. Why on Earth did Daniel Andrews outsource the security of people in quarantine to a private security company? It's breathtakingly stupid.
Also allegedly allowing people in quarantine to visit other rooms to play cards. Hope they sue the company.

Here is one to consider. I realised that the suburbs now locked down in Melbourne are, according to my friend who lives there, poorer suburbs. Whereas when you look at the NSW heat map, the areas that have had the most cases are almost all wealthy or average suburbs. Very few cases in many of the poorest areas of Sydney. And why are these middle class and wealthy areas producing single cases that do not seem to be spreading?

The case at a Sydney school in our area where the teacher was infected did not seem to have been passed on to anyone, not even her husband and children. Very fortunately.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:47 PM

Victoria is really the state that keeps on giving. Who is running the show down there because they need to be sacked.

Quote:
A man who was in hotel quarantine in Melbourne and tested positive for COVID-19 returned to Sydney and worked at a Woolworths store in Balmain while symptomatic.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said it was still uncertain what the chain of events was that lead to the man returning to Sydney, but asked the Balmain community to get tested if they develop symptoms.

NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said the man tested positive on his fourth day in quarantine after returning from Bangladesh, but later told officials in Victoria he had recovered from his symptoms. He returned to Sydney and worked at the Woolworths on June 26.
So, guessing a guy not eligible for JK wanted to get back to his employment so just told them he felt fine and the Victorians just took that at face value. It's a farce.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Victoria is really the state that keeps on giving. Who is running the show down there because they need to be sacked.

So, guessing a guy not eligible for JK wanted to get back to his employment so just told them he felt fine and the Victorians just took that at face value. It's a farce.
Let’s hope the luck continues, Balmain being a wealthy area!

Hopefully the police will enforce the isolation of this person and his contacts. I know in a suburb near us, early on, someone was positive and the cops were always driving around to keep check on him. No privacy, everyone knew who he was and where he lived, but that is a price that has to be paid.

Andrews seems like the overbearing parent who is too strict with the teenagers, who then break every rule in retaliation.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:35 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,957,243 times
Quote:
Lmao where'd you find this one mate? Did Daniel Andrews have sex with them himself? I've tried searching and can find nothing.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Lmao where'd you find this one mate? Did Daniel Andrews have sex with them himself? I've tried searching and can find nothing.
Here you go...From the AFR live blog today.

Quote:
There are more claims of sex and rorting within Victoria’s failed hotel quarantine system this morning.

The Herald Sun reports some security firms allegedly exploited government contracts by using fake names for non-existent workers and some hotel guards slept with guests and were caught sleeping on the job.

The Financial Review also reported the claims of a sexual liaison this morning which may have spread to a family cluster in Melbourne’s north.
From a few people I know in the media, there was reportedly also sharing of a cigarette lighter between those in quarantine and the security, and security allowed those under quarantine to go to each others rooms to play cards. The family cluster is, from what I'm told, because a Muslim guard went back to some big family celebration and gave it to his extended family.

You have to wonder how stupid you have to be to use private security for something as critical as quarantine enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand