Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 12:27 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,960,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Some absolute moron on the ABC today saying that aboriginals consider these protests an essential service.
It's a view to which I suspect you don't endorse. For those that have been on the receiving end of police brutality or injustice though or know people who were, they possibly see this as a time 'to seize the moment', in order to highlight on going grievances. Who are we to name call or roll eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yep. Blame the governments for this. Allow the nonsense march and keep business closed......
Blame the government for what? Not addressing long seething issues is not I suspect what you meant.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:33 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
It's a view to which I suspect you don't endorse. For those that have been on the receiving end of police brutality or injustice though or know people who were, they possibly see this as a time 'to seize the moment', in order to highlight on going grievances. Who are we to name call or roll eyes?
I don't endorse mass gatherings in winter during a pandemic. If anything I think they are doing their cause significant damage.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
What gets me is that the marchers are doing so much harm to their cause. There is so much hostility to what they have done, not sympathy or empathy. It will be even more so if this one tomorrow goes ahead.
Well not really. A usual march as such, highlighting racism would attract what? A few hundred at most? Now due to events that unfolded in America, various countries have highlighted inequalities through protest within their own societies.

What it has done is created greater division, but hostility, I doubt it. Fair thinking people may even consider to passively support the intent in greater numbers, than to remain sitting on the fence.

Those expressing hostility, would likely have never shown any degree of understanding to the issues being raised.

It will go ahead in WA. The police have said their presence is to keep the peace. Morrison has in words be told to 'butt out' of pushing to stop the protest here and arrest those present. Good on the WA Police Chief and WA government in general. It will be interesting if NSW attempts to stop the gathering there and the reaction that follows.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I don't endorse mass gatherings in winter during a pandemic. If anything I think they are doing their cause significant damage.
You may think that but I don't see it doing anything than raising awareness, in doing so creating a greater divide, but that was there anywhere.

It is a shame the world wide protest has come when it did, during a virus, but the issues are immense and has come to light now. Hence now is the time with global focus.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I believe it is 8 cases in the country. Four are returned travellers in quarantine, one is a toddler in Brisbane who has returned from Pakistan and was previously in quarantine in Victoria, one is a case reclassified from Vic to NSW, one is a possible case in NSW, another in Vic is under investigation and then the protestor.

Cabinet have just announced significant easing, 10,000 people can attend sporting events from July 1. (I presume subject to state agreement), increased numbers at funerals, weddings, etc.

In NSW the announcements are coming almost daily. Tomorrow, food courts, 20 people at home or outside, school assemblies from next week.

Seems some agreement at last on state borders. All good news and it is great that sport is back on tv!
Here's me thinking how great some relief from' mind numbing sport'. I cannot see just how you can reconcile 10,000 people attending sporting matches, which will be allowed in a few short weeks, but not so endorsing of protests outlining social injustice? Nothing like having priorities crystal clear I suppose?

Old 06-12-2020, 01:16 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Blame the government for what? Not addressing long seething issues is not I suspect what you meant.
No, for pandering to this nonsense and approving the march while telling business they can't open, and other significant events cannot go ahead. If there weren't these other restrictions in place, I would have no issue with the protest march.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
. Fair thinking people may even consider to passively support the intent in greater numbers, than to remain sitting on the fence.

Those expressing hostility, would likely have never shown any degree of understanding to the issues being raised.
Fair thinking people assess evidence. Those with true understanding of the "issue" of course are hostile to lies and embellishment. We see the result of this in the US right now.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Here's me thinking how great some relief from' mind numbing sport'. I cannot see just how you can reconcile 10,000 people attending sporting matches, which will be allowed in a few short weeks, but not so endorsing of protests outlining social injustice? Nothing like having priorities crystal clear I suppose?
Do you understand how the 10,000 will be managed? When you do, you may see the difference between the two scenarios. But if you are happy for 30,000 to walk together in close quarters yelling and chanting their spittle into the air, why would you have any objection to the sporting crowds.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
No, for pandering to this nonsense and approving the march while telling business they can't open, and other significant events cannot go ahead. If there weren't these other restrictions in place, I would have no issue with the protest march.
Well NSW claims not to be pandering (your terminology) We'll see how than turns out. WA talking sense in attempting to dissuade it but taking the common sense approach in not attempting to fine and/or arrest participants.

Business appears to be pretty much open here at any rate. Why would Australia differ from other countries around the globe in not going down the road of heavy handed policing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand