Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Actually, I was impressed that on a map of highest lows in Australia for 2009, the eastern 1/3rd of QLD were pretty much all in 24-27 C colour-group.
I've seen a few rogue overnight-lows of 28+ C in my lifetime around Toronto, so eastern QLD sounds slightly-mild by comparison...
considering their higher averages and their infamous humidity.

I'm usually thrilled over our odd 25-26 C lows anyways.
I'd probably enjoy even higher lows if there was low humidity, like in Oz's Red Centre.
But whenever we get 24+ C lows, the overnight humidity is always 80+%, making for steamy conditions, sometimes after midnight too.

I would prefer being somewhere the lows are capable of being at least 22 C at some point in the summer.
You would be . QLD's (IMHO) is too hot & humid during it's summers but nice during winters - little humidity with quite pleasant afternoon temperatures (when one's on holiday that is), one July a few years ago, it reached 25oC everyday over a 7 day period, got cold at night but with plenty of sunshine. I'm off to Brisbane over Australia Day weekend, 22 - 23oC minimums & 32 -35oC maximums, dreading it big-time man but it's one of my mate's 50th birthday party so have no choice but to go up there, grin and bear it for 5 days then scuttle back to Sydney.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times
Just make sure you don't sweat a river all over him.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
QLD's (IMHO) is too hot & humid during it's summers
The thing is its often cooler here than it is down south. The warmest I've seen it in Mackay is about 36. That isn't 42 degrees which Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Melbourne have all seen quite recently. I will concur about the humidity.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
You would be . QLD's (IMHO) is too hot & humid during it's summers but nice during winters - little humidity with quite pleasant afternoon temperatures (when one's on holiday that is),

one July a few years ago, it reached 25oC everyday over a 7 day period, got cold at night but with plenty of sunshine.

I'm off to Brisbane over Australia Day weekend, 22 - 23oC minimums & 32 -35oC maximums, dreading it big-time man but it's one of my mate's 50th birthday party so have no choice but to go up there, grin and bear it for 5 days then scuttle back to Sydney.
I also saw averages for Brisbane's airport and compared them to Sydney's airport.
Sydney has slightly higher average 3pm % relative-humidity during its warmest month,
but when you add their 3pm avg temps into the equation you get a slightly-lower dewpoint.
(maybe 3-5% more humidity, but 2-4 C lower ambient temp at 3pm)

It's nice when cold weather is at least sunny.

23/35 C to me is just "distinctly-summer" weather, but I know not everyone likes summer.
Toronto's avg winter temps are just cold enough imho to be "distinctly-winterlike" but I always dread our winters, even our mid-late autumns.
Have you ever heard of "The Cobber"? This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR3Wjqly0SU

Old 01-20-2010, 03:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Because that's our retarded Governments solution to any water problems..
So Victoria / Melbourne does have water problems?

What do you propose? a rain dance?

Quote:
Because it's "summer". Relatively "warmer" weather and slightly less rainfall will do that..
So there is less rainfall in Victoria now? The gardens will not turn brown from "relatively warmer" and "slightly less rainfall". It's from a distinct lack of rain over a number of years.

I was there in August (and almost every 6 weeks thru the year). The Botanic gardens were dry, brown. driving across from NSW to Vic you see a distinct change. The state is in drought conditions

Quote:
Yet parts of NSW are under flood for the 3rd or 4th time in the last year.

No, the temp factor is what makes it cold here. Wanna go outside in shirts and shorts on a "summer" night? Not freaking possible.
I lived in Melbourne for most of my life. There have been many, many nights when I've been out in a dress / t shirt on a summer's night.

The mean maximum temp for Sydney & Melbourne over JAN is virtually the same

The mean rainfall in mm is quite different for Jan: Sydney 102mm; Melbourne 47.6

Sydney: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_066062.shtml
melbourne: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_086071.shtml

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 01-20-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
The thing is its often cooler here than it is down south. The warmest I've seen it in Mackay is about 36. That isn't 42 degrees which Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and Melbourne have all seen quite recently. I will concur about the humidity.
OFTEN????? ZOMGLOL!!!!!1

More like VERY OCCASIONALLY. How often is it 30C-35C every single day for 3-4 months straight in Melbourne and other coastal southern towns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
So Victoria / Melbourne does have water problems?
According to our esteemed polititians. However, whenever I turn on my tap, there appears to be water coming out of it....

Quote:
What do you propose? a rain dance?
weeks of heat and clear skies, with regular thunderstorms.

Quote:
So there is less rainfall in Victoria now? The gardens will not turn brown from "relatively warmer" and "slightly less rainfall". It's from a distinct lack of rain over a number of years.
Depends on which part of Victoria you mean.

Quote:
I was there in August (and almost every 6 weeks thru the year). The Botanic gardens were dry, brown. driving across from NSW to Vic you see a distinct change. The state is in drought conditions
The northern part of Vic is naturally that colour. Most northern locations average 500mm or less rainfall per year so it's not exactly gonna look like the Daintree rainforest.

Quote:
I lived in Melbourne for most of my life. There have been many, many nights when I've been out in a dress / t shirt on a summer's night.
Over the majority of an average lifetime, 5-10 nights per year adds up to quite a many.

Quote:
The mean maximum temp for Sydney & Melbourne over JAN is virtually the same
Go 5km inland in Sydney and it jumps exponentially. The inner western suburbs average closer to 30C. Plus the other 11 months of the year are significantly warmer.

Quote:
The mean rainfall in mm is quite different for Jan: Sydney 102mm; Melbourne 47.6
Sydney gets more storms, heavier downpours over less days, plus its actually WARM when it rains.

Sydney is the superior climate by a landslide.

Lets compare the 2 forecasts:

S**tney:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/nsw/fo...s/sydney.shtml

Iceland:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/fo...elbourne.shtml

oh and Gaydelaide for good measure:
http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/sa/for...adelaide.shtml

EPIC FAIL BULLCRAP HORSES FAT BUTT MUTHA EFFING PILE OF STINKING TOSS

AND YOU PEOPLE ARE WONDERING WHY I AM REFERRING TO MELBOURNE AS "SUBARCTIC" ... WELL LADIES AND BLOODY GENTLEMEN, HERE YA GO

Last edited by §AB; 01-20-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Go 5km inland in Sydney and it jumps exponentially. The inner western suburbs average closer to 30C. Plus the other 11 months of the year are significantly warmer.

Sydney gets more storms, heavier downpours over less days, plus its actually WARM when it rains.

Sydney is the superior climate by a landslide.

Lets compare the 2 forecasts:

S**tney:
Sydney Forecast

Iceland:
Melbourne Forecast

oh and Gaydelaide for good measure:
Adelaide Forecast

EPIC FAIL BULLCRAP HORSES FAT BUTT MUTHA EFFING PILE OF STINKING TOSS

AND YOU PEOPLE ARE WONDERING WHY I AM REFERRING TO MELBOURNE AS "SUBARCTIC" ... WELL LADIES AND BLOODY GENTLEMEN, HERE YA GO
I was pleasantly-surprised when I saw the average temps for places like Richmond and Penrith, NSW.
I've seen Sydney's forecasts from BOM from time-to-time; usually "West" looks best.

Wow, even Gaydelaide's forecast this week looks straight out of a dream.

Melbourne's forecast except for Friday and next Wednesday looks straight out of a southern Ontario summer...
perhaps from one of our cooler-weather beach towns like Kingston or Grand Bend on the windward side of the Great Lakes.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 AM

WHich is a painful reminder why I HATE this GOD AWFUL PIECE OF CRAP climate

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 AM

43 posts, read 90,328 times
Quote:
WHich is a painful reminder why I HATE this GOD AWFUL PIECE OF CRAP climate
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/11/16-22/baby-crying%20jpg.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times
^SAB may talk about Melbourne's cold arctic weather alot, but do you really need to keep antagonising him becuase of it? It's alittle immature don't you think?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-21-2010 at 01:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand