Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post

I want to move to Melbourne for its weather. I come from Boston; it's not as cold as some Canadian cities, or as manic in temperature as some places in the Midwest, but it can still get cold here. In Melbourne though, it doesn't get cold. According to Wikipedia, the record low is -2.8C

It'll be nice to never have to wear anything more than a sweatshirt
If you want warm, almost everywhere else in the country is a better bet.

if you want sun, EVERYWHERE else in the country is a better bet.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Not droughty. It was first thing in the morning when I woke up. We have a very good comforter to sleep with so we turn the heat down when we go to bed otherwise we are too hot. As soon as we get up the central heating is turned up and the fire is lit.
So your kitchen's not parched-as, bruuu?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:48 PM

279 posts, read 673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So your kitchen's not parched-as, bruuu?

17C is not that cold for a house during the night. That's only 63F. During the day I turn it up to 75F. The night it got down to -29C the pipes in the kitchen sink froze, forgot to leave the sink cupboard doors open...
The heat tape is only good to -25C, but nothing a space heater under the sink for a few hours can't fix...

Old 01-14-2010, 06:39 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
I've said this before, Minx .... you live in Heaven. Gorgeous house, gorgeous landscape. Love all that wood in your house, and the woods around it. That's something I miss about Australian houses. Not often you get a lot of wood inside the house, unless it's an older home, like the Federation Style homes. Even our baseboards and cornices aren't wood, neither are the mouldings around doors. We looked into getting real timber floors and the cost was astronomical. I know it's because we don't have a lot of trees, but I miss the warmth of it.

When we lived in Canada, we'd turn the heat right off at night. Even when in Ontario and Quebec. You sleep so well when it's cold, under a nice toasty warm goose-down doona.

Love your dawgy! Black lab?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:45 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've said this before, Minx .... you live in Heaven. Gorgeous house, gorgeous landscape. Love all that wood in your house, and the woods around it. That's something I miss about Australian houses. Not often you get a lot of wood inside the house, unless it's an older home, like the Federation Style homes. Even our baseboards and cornices aren't wood, neither are the mouldings around doors. We looked into getting real timber floors and the cost was astronomical. I know it's because we don't have a lot of trees, but I miss the warmth of it.

When we lived in Canada, we'd turn the heat right off at night. Even when in Ontario and Quebec. You sleep so well when it's cold, under a nice toasty warm goose-down doona.

My heating bill is quite low in NH. I only turn on my heat for 30-40 minutes a t tonight and perhaps in the morning for 30 minutes. The wonders of good insulation!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM

279 posts, read 673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You sleep so well when it's cold, under a nice toasty warm goose-down doona.

Yes you do....nice and toasty....

The dawgy's name is Jager and yes he is a black lab. But you haven't met Ice. He is a 12 week old Alaskan Malamute. He's about to rip into his Christmas present....

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
All this talk of cold reminds me why I am in North Queensland!

To the OP: just wondering why you left out Canberra and Hobart, two other capital cities? Except for the cold summers, Hobart is the best of the lot.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
The dawgy's name is Jager and yes he is a black lab. But you haven't met Ice. He is a 12 week old Alaskan Malamute. He's about to rip into his Christmas present....
Awwwwwwww! Lookit da keeyoot puppy!!! And the cute Minx in his Santa Hat!

Love your house - and the light fixtures are cool. It's all so typically Western USA style. I could live in a house like that. Comfy and practical. None of that fancy, delicate stuff that you have to worry about scratching or breaking.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Make sure you allow for the biting windchillls off the Southern Ocean in winter. You'll need more than a sweatshirt to cope with that.
I agree, you don't need American style temps to feel cold.
Places facing the Southern Ocean, and that includes Adelaide, have miserably cold, windy and damp winters.
I have been in Melbourne in July, there was no sun, and max temps were only about 13 or 14.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:51 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Occasionally you'll have afternoons when the temp is only 7 or 8 with a gusty wind coming straight off the ocean. Had a couple of those last winter.
And NO SUN is right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand