Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,906,264 times

Advertisements

Make sure you allow for the biting windchillls off the Southern Ocean in winter. You'll need more than a sweatshirt to cope with that.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM

279 posts, read 674,549 times
Melbourne to cold ???....come on everyone....where is your sense of adventure. Must every activity need to involve warmth and sunshine. Nothing better that putting on your warmest coat, beanie, gloves and meeting friends at a coffee shop for a hot chocolate.

We had -29C the other day (and that's centigrade, not fahrenheit) and it was one of the best days ever....

Old 01-13-2010, 08:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,835,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post

I want to move to Melbourne for its weather. I come from Boston; it's not as cold as some Canadian cities, or as manic in temperature as some places in the Midwest, but it can still get cold here. In Melbourne though, it doesn't get cold. According to Wikipedia, the record low is -2.8C

It'll be nice to never have to wear anything more than a sweatshirt
Naturally very warm-blooded, eh?
I always need more than a sweatshirt below 50 F (10 C), but everyone's different.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Melbourne to cold ???....come on everyone....where is your sense of adventure. Must every activity need to involve warmth and sunshine. Nothing better that putting on your warmest coat, beanie, gloves and meeting friends at a coffee shop for a hot chocolate.

We had -29C the other day (and that's centigrade, not fahrenheit) and it was one of the best days ever....
It was -29 C indoors?!?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,036,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It was -29 C indoors?!?
Yeah I thought the same thing!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I thought it was a little cold.....

The sensor is outside....it's toasty warm inside....

Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,934,010 times
Its nice to have those temps when you can live in a winter wonderland, the way you do Minx.
A buddy of mine lived in NY and said the romance of snow quickly pales when you have to get to work on time regardless of road conditions.

I'm no fan of the cold but could (and have) happily spent my days sledding, (trying to) skiing, tubing, and best of all...apres ski! What has this to do with life in Convictland? Well...if you like skiing, thats another advantage of Melbourne...no, you cant ski in the city, silly. But there are some great snowfields within a few hours drive. We're not talking Rocky Mtns here, but for Oddstralia, it aint bad.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
I thought it was a little cold.....

The sensor is outside....it's toasty warm inside....
I saw a smaller number, reading 17.8 C which I reckon's supposed to be the indoor temp.
A little cool for a kitchen (like our basement in winter)... Draugthy?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Its nice to have those temps when you can live in a winter wonderland, the way you do Minx.
A buddy of mine lived in NY and said the romance of snow quickly pales when you have to get to work on time regardless of road conditions.

I'm no fan of the cold but could (and have) happily spent my days sledding, (trying to) skiing, tubing, and best of all...apres ski! What has this to do with life in Convictland? Well...if you like skiing, thats another advantage of Melbourne...no, you cant ski in the city, silly. But there are some great snowfields within a few hours drive. We're not talking Rocky Mtns here, but for Oddstralia, it aint bad.
Another advantage of mountains.

Where I live, the ski resorts aren't usually open unless there's also very-cold in the city.
(Instead of certain mountain areas where it's fairly-mild where most people live; just cold and snowy at the ski-resorts )
Most residents "grow out of snow" before they turn 10 yrs old here, but our immediate area is mostly flat.
Many people here might have a hard time looking at a ski-resort and not being reminded of clearing heavy snow or ice themselves.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Yes, that is true. When it comes to day-to-day living it can be a pain in the a$$. You need to plan well in advance and allow twice as much time for travel, start the car 20 minutes ahead to get the interior warm, make sure you can get out of the drive way, snowblowing the entrance walkway, shovel the deck, and the list goes on.

Quote:
I saw a smaller number, reading 17.8 C which I reckon's supposed to be the indoor temp.
A little cool for a kitchen (like our basement in winter)... Draugthy?
Not droughty. It was first thing in the morning when I woke up. We have a very good comforter to sleep with so we turn the heat down when we go to bed otherwise we are too hot. As soon as we get up the central heating is turned up and the fire is lit.

Quote:
Many people here might have a hard time looking at a ski-resort and not being reminded of clearing heavy snow or ice themselves.
Know all about clearing snow and ice....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand