Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 AM

124 posts, read 611,695 times

Advertisements

Which one is your favorite?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
PERTH gets my vote!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 PM

6 posts, read 39,026 times
i have lived brisbane perth adelaide now melbourne (and many small ones inbetween)

Perth is a long way from everywhere but a nice place to live (expensive rent and housing costs due to mining boom) it's a big country town, sort of laid back and a bit slower than he east coast of OZ lots of parkland in the city etc very nice ocean and river areas. surfing and wine

Bris is very nice, and closer to the rest of Australia close to the reef up north etc but not to hot (tropics) in summer. very nice beaches as well

Adelaide is said to be boring but have no real experiance as i left when i was six years old....

i would pick Bris out of those 3......

Melbourne is very nice and a very interesting city

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Of those three, well I'd have to say Perth.

I have a real soft spot for the place, despite the "tyranny of distance"

I'm keen to go back to Adelaide, haven't been since I was a baby so I don't remember it.
I love old buildings and architecture so I'm thinking "city of churches" a very nice spot for historical buildings.

Brissy is great and I was there only a few weeks ago, a great city.

But yeah, I love Western Australia, there's just something about the place that appeals to me and Perth is a top spot.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,478 times
I'm a Brissie boy at least that's where I raised but for me Melbourne is the best city in Australia and one of the best in the world. It's where I plan on settling down. Perth is nice but I've never lived there so I'm not as qualified to comment on it.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I lived and went to Uni in Adelaide. It was not boring at all. There was always something to do -- festivals, trips to the wine regions, wandering the stalls of the Central Market (a foodie paradise), grabbing a cheap meal in Chinatown, cycling to the beach, viewing aboriginal art at the (free) museums, wandering the botanic garden, tasting wine at the national wine centre, trips to Kangaroo Island (gorgeous), etc.

It does not get humid in summer.. its a dry summer. The climate is more mediterranean. Winters can be chilly, but frost is a rare occurance. You can have a few days reaching 40 in the summer.

The architecture is lovely and the entire city is surrounded by parklands. When you sit by the banks of the Torrens river and watch people row on the river amongst pelicans and other avian wildlife, amidst rose gardens, you realize how lucky you are to live there... and this was a general consensus amongst the other graduate students that I had met from all over the world. I also had friends from Melbourne and Canberra who were surprised at how much they loved the city.

I like Perth but if felt less connected to the rest of Australia and was quite expensive to live in. Brissie I did not spend too much time in, but a French friend of mine that moved to Brissie liked it, but missed being back.. you know.. in Adelaide.. LOL..

With this said, if I had to chose a city in Oz.. it would be Melbourne.. lots more work opps and I like the cafe culture.. but close enough to Adelaide that I can go see my mates and drink some of that wine on weekends (50% of all Aussie wine is made in SA). Did I say the wine was amazing? -- have a reisling with the yummy local oysters or enjoy a rose on a hot summer day at the beach.

Last edited by minibrings; 10-28-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 AM

37 posts, read 106,470 times
I've only ever been to perth, I live in Mandurah, so.. I guess Perth gets my vote? ,xP
I'm not really a city-person, I prefer to live in a suburb within an hour's drive of most big cities.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 AM

49 posts, read 380,623 times
Brissie is the Bomb! Though when I first planned on moving to Oz, I was going to move to Perth (a very beautiful city), but it's just too far away - I enjoy visiting Perth, but my vote goes to Brisbane, hands down!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:19 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
of those 3, I'd pick Brisbane. Warmer climate, closer to everything, bigger freeway and rail network than Perth and Adelaide.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:34 AM

129 posts, read 555,524 times
Perth is the most expensive of the three followed closely by brisbane. They all have natural beauty.
I found adeleide the most green design of the 3 with a green belt a round the cbd and a lovely and graceful botanic gardens.
Brisbane has changed a lot in 10 years ago due to large interstate migration from nsw and an influx of migrants. I find these questions a bit misleading as there is never agreement on these types of questions > as every city in the world has people who will tell you there city is best or better but comparisons from people who have lived there are always helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand