Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vintage vs. Modern performance:
Vintage cars had the edge on performance 4 5.33%
Modern cars have the edge on performance 61 81.33%
Neither is inherently better than the other 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times

Advertisements

Number #15. http://themustangsource.com/timeline...nelliJones.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
I don't know why I even waste my time messing with you guys. I OWN it.....

All the rest of you WISH you did.

RBG,

I believe the only thing that you've shown us you own are "parts" from scanned 35mm photos (cause those are all the rage with the cool kids).

I'm sure many of the folks on this forum have been to car shows. I haven't seen anyone on here say that "those cars suck", you're just one of two individuals who believe "those cars ruled!". You can take it however you want, but your the minority outsider in this conversation.

I've gone to many car shows, have friends who own numerous classics, from a 50 Buick Super, an aforementioned 68 Charger, 2x 70 Chevelles, etc etc etc.

We can all understand the rarity of classic cars, and classic car parts. But just because a part is rare, doesn't mean it's overly desirable.

I can remember a good friend in high school who drove his 68' Mercury Cougar to school on occasion. This was the mid 90's, and the car was GORGEOUS. But he rarely drove it to school because if he got in an accident, his insurance would have totaled the car out, saying it was worth about $1500-$2000, whereas a late model VW Golf would have been fixed and back on the road. The parts are simply hard to come by, and from the bean counters eye, the car was scrap...I can guarantee you that part of the reason you don't see a whole lot of 65 289 fastback mustangs on the road is because most of them were scraped between 65-now when they were wrapped around a telephone pole, driven through a ditch, flooded, t-boned, etc....the cars were as "throw away" as the corvettes you showed in that previous video...there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING RARE ABOUT A 65' MUSTANG 289 K-CODE IN 1965! And even if you show stats that prove it was rare, no one cared!

Heck, I stopped at a car show a couple months ago just because I saw a nice looking 3rd gen firebird. I was driving down the road when I noticed the car, turned around, and pulled into the show so I could talk to the owner. I've got a similar car sitting in my garage right now, but I might see 1 or 2 a month (MAX) on the road today...when I was in highschool 15 or so years ago, they were common, throw away vehicles...typical first cars for kids who wanted a "cool" first car. But as of today, finding a ratted out 3rd gen is semi-common, and a nice one is rare as hell!

Every car goes through this phase, heck, I still get excited seeing a 95-96 Camry Coupe (prior to the solara) since they are "rare" cars...Go nuts when I see a plymouth prowler since it was my dream car from my youth (that and a viper), and have run up to at least one individual to take a closer look at a Ferrari Testarossa (poster car from my youth).

Truth be told, I'm a car guy, a car nut! Same as most on this forum. I love old cars, new cars, and cars in between. Every era had special cars attached to it, along with the technology that accompanied them. I'd love to have a 82 Trans Am with a cross-fire injected 305, or an 82 Corvette with the CFI-350...I'd love to rock a 69' Camaro with a 302, or a 70 Boss mustang...I also love the wicked performance you get from a Cadillac CTS-V that will lap the nurburgring in wicked order...or the Mercedes C63AMG I had the opportunity to go around the ring in a few months ago....The Buggati, Ferrari's, etc are all awesome vehicles too...

but if I had all the money in the world, and wasn't worried about being the fastest car at a race track...I'd roll up in a 1962 Ferrari 250GTO...Plenty of cars of today's vintage would whoop it on a road course, race track, or drag strip! But I'd look and feel like a million bucks!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM

My boss's '68 Chevy II/Nova SS 396 is also a solid lifter camshaft. It's the factory 375 HP version. He has a 4 speed and 4:10 posi all factory original and numbers matching. It's a one owner car. He bought it brand new in '68 next door. Back then we had a GM dealership next door to our shop. He walked over one day and test drove it. He bought it after and still has it today. It's been fully restored. I know it was over $3,000 but under $4,000 brand spanking new.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
RBG,

I believe the only thing that you've shown us you own are "parts" from scanned 35mm photos (cause those are all the rage with the cool kids).

I'm sure many of the folks on this forum have been to car shows. I haven't seen anyone on here say that "those cars suck", you're just one of two individuals who believe "those cars ruled!". You can take it however you want, but your the minority outsider in this conversation.

I've gone to many car shows, have friends who own numerous classics, from a 50 Buick Super, an aforementioned 68 Charger, 2x 70 Chevelles, etc etc etc.

We can all understand the rarity of classic cars, and classic car parts. But just because a part is rare, doesn't mean it's overly desirable.

I can remember a good friend in high school who drove his 68' Mercury Cougar to school on occasion. This was the mid 90's, and the car was GORGEOUS. But he rarely drove it to school because if he got in an accident, his insurance would have totaled the car out, saying it was worth about $1500-$2000, whereas a late model VW Golf would have been fixed and back on the road. The parts are simply hard to come by, and from the bean counters eye, the car was scrap...I can guarantee you that part of the reason you don't see a whole lot of 65 289 fastback mustangs on the road is because most of them were scraped between 65-now when they were wrapped around a telephone pole, driven through a ditch, flooded, t-boned, etc....the cars were as "throw away" as the corvettes you showed in that previous video...there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING RARE ABOUT A 65' MUSTANG 289 K-CODE IN 1965! And even if you show stats that prove it was rare, no one cared!

Heck, I stopped at a car show a couple months ago just because I saw a nice looking 3rd gen firebird. I was driving down the road when I noticed the car, turned around, and pulled into the show so I could talk to the owner. I've got a similar car sitting in my garage right now, but I might see 1 or 2 a month (MAX) on the road today...when I was in highschool 15 or so years ago, they were common, throw away vehicles...typical first cars for kids who wanted a "cool" first car. But as of today, finding a ratted out 3rd gen is semi-common, and a nice one is rare as hell!

Every car goes through this phase, heck, I still get excited seeing a 95-96 Camry Coupe (prior to the solara) since they are "rare" cars...Go nuts when I see a plymouth prowler since it was my dream car from my youth (that and a viper), and have run up to at least one individual to take a closer look at a Ferrari Testarossa (poster car from my youth).

Truth be told, I'm a car guy, a car nut! Same as most on this forum. I love old cars, new cars, and cars in between. Every era had special cars attached to it, along with the technology that accompanied them. I'd love to have a 82 Trans Am with a cross-fire injected 305, or an 82 Corvette with the CFI-350...I'd love to rock a 69' Camaro with a 302, or a 70 Boss mustang...I also love the wicked performance you get from a Cadillac CTS-V that will lap the nurburgring in wicked order...or the Mercedes C63AMG I had the opportunity to go around the ring in a few months ago....The Buggati, Ferrari's, etc are all awesome vehicles too...

but if I had all the money in the world, and wasn't worried about being the fastest car at a race track...I'd roll up in a 1962 Ferrari 250GTO...Plenty of cars of today's vintage would whoop it on a road course, race track, or drag strip! But I'd look and feel like a million bucks!
I think I showed more than that. I have the complete build up sitting right here in my photobook. I have to pull them out and scan them. We didn't have a digital camera or computer back then. I'm still glad I documented them.

PS...You're very very wrong about '65 Fastback Mustangs period...let alone K-code cars. Less fastbacks were made than any other. Convertibles used to command the highest price with coupes last. Not for many many years now. Fastbacks are worth the most. They didn't make many. Even less were A-code, K-code cars. Even less than that were GTs.

It's hard to find ANY '64 1/2 - '66 Mustang V8 with a 4 speed all factory original anymore for sale. Most are 6 cyl autos. More are 2bbl C-codes than 4bbl A-codes.......K-codes are rare. 300+ HP at the rear wheels with a rebuild is pretty easy to do. Many new cars don't put 300 horses to the pavement. Not only to the pavement...it's a light car to begin with. That's why that '66 GT-350 looks so angry up there ^^.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Only 7,273 K-code Mustangs were built in 1965.

That's total...all three body styles.

Not rare...my ass.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM

562 became '65 Shelby GT-350s.

You always hear someone online say how they have a '65-'66 Shelby GT-350...or their Dad or Uncle or whoever does. Only 562 total built in 1965. Do you believe them now?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 PM

This is a real one. You can always tell a K-code by it's trademark sound. You hear the soild lifters and other trademark engine signatures. This car is the very first #1 Hi-po K-code Fastback built at the San Jose plant. Mine came from Michigan like most others. The car is badass but he did a funky cowl type deal on the hood. You'll see what I meant when I said about people raking you over the coals when you screw with a rare car too much. The comments are kind of funny.

K-Code Fastback Mustang Test Drive - YouTube

LMAO

"That hood is hideous on that sweet car. It's like a zit on hot chicks nose!!! Lose it!!"

Told you guys so!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 PM

Stock for the most part too.

".....it's pretty much stock. The only changes I made were forged pistons instead of the cast pistons and I used stainless valves."

He wanted to be able to run unleaded fuel. I can't say I blame him. 110 octane leaded is salty. You aren't even supposed to be putting it in a street car...though everyone does with some sneaking around. You have to go to the gas station and get it in gas cans and take it home to fill it. They can't see you do it...or they won't sell it to you.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM

Forget that last ^statement younger guys. You did not hear that from me.

Ever sit behind a old car that's built up in traffic and you smell something funny?

That would be IT youngins! Shhhhh don't tell!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM

243 posts, read 547,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
RBG,

Truth be told, I'm a car guy, a car nut! Same as most on this forum. I love old cars, new cars, and cars in between. Every era had special cars attached to it, along with the technology that accompanied them.

Well said. This forum is packed with car nuts. Those arguing that modern cars outperform vintage ones, don't necessarily do it out of ignorance, envy, or disrespect of classic cars. I think they're great, for their time.

Just went car shopping with a buddy this week, and he works just a few miles away from this Mustang:

He could have paid cash for it, but optioned out a BMW 335 coupe instead. A cookie cutter Bimmer that every other mid-level finance guy drives around Southern California. He knows it, I know it, we laughed about it. But it's the superior car for his needs and wants. I could have bought the Mustang too, but I won't.

Neither of us should own it. Because it doesn't mean much to us. It should be owned by someone who appreciates it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive