Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

If everyone were obeying the speed limit, there would be no problem. Your reasoning falls into the "but, Mooooommm, everybody's doing it!" school of I wanna therefore the world is wrong and I'm right reasoning.

Again, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing, I do occasionally speed, but I'm adult enough to admit that when I do, I'm the one that's in the wrong and if someone is in front of me driving the speed limit and that's a problem for me, the problem is of MY making, not theirs, and they are not in any way required to accommodate my desire to break the law. That would seem to me to be the most basic level of maturity to qualify to be on the public roadways.

Far too many people here do seem to be stuck in the adolescent, brand new driver, world revolves around me and anyone who is in my way is WRONG and I'm RIGHT, too much testosterone for their own good, level of maturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If everyone were obeying the speed limit, there would be no problem. Your reasoning falls into the "but, Mooooommm, everybody's doing it!" school of I wanna therefore the world is wrong and I'm right reasoning.

Again, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing, I do occasionally speed, but I'm adult enough to admit that when I do, I'm the one that's in the wrong and if someone is in front of me driving the speed limit and that's a problem for me, the problem is of MY making, not theirs, and they are not in any way required to accommodate my desire to break the law. That would seem to me to be the most basic level of maturity to qualify to be on the public roadways.

Far too many people here do seem to be stuck in the adolescent, brand new driver, world revolves around me and anyone who is in my way is WRONG and I'm RIGHT, too much testosterone for their own good, level of maturity.
I admit that I speed. So does every other speeder. Your theory is just that, a theory. No issues if everybody did the speed limit. Thats not reality. Reality says that most people do speed. May not be excessive, but most do. Because of this, many states pass laws making it illegal to hold up traffic. There are no clauses in these laws that exempt the speed limit people. So, according to the law, you are wrong if you are holding up traffic when you are capable of moving to the right, even going the speed limit or faster.

Many laws state they they do have to accommodate our desires by moving over if they are holding up traffic.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
How about when you are approaching someone in the left lane obviously going slower than you are and you decide to be proactive and pass them on the right because there is no one else on the road and you dont want to be an ass by tailgating or flashing lights. You put your turn signal on and begin to merge over and just as you get into the right lane they merge over without any turn signal and it now forces you to slow down drastically. You now have to merge back over into the left lane to get around the person you were orginally passing. If people drove in the correct lane according to the speed they are going it would decrease many problems on the road. So not only are these people not aware of their surroundings but they cause a blatent safety concern by not using turn signals.

I speed on the highway, in fact I was pulled over 2 weeks ago on my way home from work, but as far as tailgating I never purposely do it it but sometimes I end up slowly creeping up on someone accidentally and when I realize I have gotten too close I back off. Now when there is a tailgater behind me, all I want to do is get out of their way and merge over as soon as I can because all I picture is me needing to slow down and this yahoo slamming into me.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM

33 posts, read 80,457 times
I will move over for speeders if it will not cause me a problem. However a lot of the time once you move over you have to slow way down, and then you are stuck there. And if you do let the fool ahead of you he still has nowhere to go. I see no reason why I should go slow so you can go fast.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If everyone were obeying the speed limit, there would be no problem.
That's just a fantasy. Come back to the real world. If the speed limit was set at a reasonable speed, then it might possibly happen, but probably not. In the real world, use the left lane for passing only solves the problem better.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
The best driving law: Keep right except to pass.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The best driving law: Keep right except to pass.
Exactly I was talking about this while driving with my wife earlier. Passing on the right has been a problem since I started driving in 1985 and I sure before then. In order to change years of behavior you have to put pressure on people to change. In Co the fine for not moving to the right are $35 the last time I checked. $35 is not going to motivate people to change. Make it $100 and now you have people's attention.

The few times I drove on the Autobahn no one would think of passing on the right. You could lose your license and back then 90's it was approx $1,000 for a German to get a license. You have to know curb weight of vehicle and lot of info American's are required to know.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
How about upping the penalties for speeding? Y'all all in favor of that, too, or only for those activities that keep you from violating that pesky law YOU don't like?

As for speed limits being set "reasonably", the problem is that there will always be those 15% of the people for whom "reasonable" translates as "as fast as I possibly can go", aka "bat out of hell", and those are almost always the ones who are complaining that the speed limits are not "reasonable", either not being competent to recognize or willing to admit that they are that 15% and they are the problem.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM

238 posts, read 590,108 times
I never knew it was illegal to pass on the right.

I have seen it done all the time and I do it also.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM

238 posts, read 590,108 times
Many places have signs stating-----------------slower moving traffic stay right.

Maybe some people passed their driving test w/o learning to read !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive