Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
The best driving law: Keep right except to pass.
Exactly I was talking about this while driving with my wife earlier. Passing on the right has been a problem since I started driving in 1985 and I sure before then.
That was not what I was talking about, though.

That sign tells slow people to stay out of the left lane when there are multiple lanes.

It even tells faster drivers to stay out of the left lane, unless they actually need it to pass a slower driver.

It has nothing to do with passing a slow person on his right. If the slow person is in the left lane, you use whatever lane you can to pass him.

Sorry if that offends people who are so anally order-obsessed that they feel a slow person in the left lane automaticlly pins everyone on the entire freeway behind him, forbidden to pass, even if the way is free and clear in some of the right lanes. That notion is patently and obviously ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
I never knew it was illegal to pass on the right.

I have seen it done all the time and I do it also.
Depends on the road, depends on the state. A two-lane road (one lane each way), in Texas, it is illegal to pass on the right UNLESS (and then there's various exceptions), mainly because it would require you to drive off the road onto the shoulder to do so. In a multi-lane road, you can pass on the right. This is per the statutes rather than what somebody on the internet wants the law to be.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That was not what I was talking about, though.

That sign tells slow people to stay out of the left lane when there are multiple lanes.

It has nothing to do with passing a slow person on his right.

Drivers who are rushing to pass on the left "usually" don't move to right lane when passing is done (it's not about rush hour) and think it's OK for them to drive in left lane - that's why I asked this exact question earlier in this thread.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Drivers who pass on the left "usually" don't move to right lane when passing is done
I do it frequently, when I find a slow person in the fast lane and clear lanes on his right.

I'm not on the road just then, to sit behind him and give him driving lessons, or to teach him how to drive his car. I'm on the road to get someplace I need to go, quickly and safely. I'll leave teaching idiots not to be idiots, to the cops. They can do it easily by handing the guy a ticket for blocking traffic - something they occasionally do, though far too infrequently.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How about upping the penalties for speeding? Y'all all in favor of that, too, or only for those activities that keep you from violating that pesky law YOU don't like?

As for speed limits being set "reasonably", the problem is that there will always be those 15% of the people for whom "reasonable" translates as "as fast as I possibly can go", aka "bat out of hell", and those are almost always the ones who are complaining that the speed limits are not "reasonable", either not being competent to recognize or willing to admit that they are that 15% and they are the problem.
Well speeding tickets are pretty expensive over $100 so I think every state has you covered. In CA tickets can easily be over $250 with traffic school.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Well speeding tickets are pretty expensive over $100 so I think every state has you covered. In CA tickets can easily be over $250 with traffic school.
And yet apparently they are not high enough to discourage some people from doing so. So, if you want to raise the penalty for not pulling right if you're driving the speed limit and someone behind you just has to speed because, well, they just HAVE TO, why not support raising the speed limit penalties to something that will actually actively discourage speeding?

How about upping enforcement for both. On board with that?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I do it frequently, when I find a slow person in the fast lane and clear lanes on his right.

I'm not on the road just then, to sit behind him and give him driving lessons, or to teach him how to drive his car. I'm on the road to get someplace I need to go, quickly and safely. I'll leave teaching idiots not to be idiots, to the cops. They can do it easily by handing the guy a ticket for blocking traffic - something they occasionally do, though far too infrequently.
Maybe you misunderstood what I said. Essentially I meant "keep right except to pass". When passing is done and you are not passing anyone move over to right and go back to left lane "only" when you find someone in the right lane to whom you want to pass.

I see very few "aggressive" drives who move over to right when passing is done.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
And yet apparently they are not high enough to discourage some people from doing so. So, if you want to raise the penalty for not pulling right if you're driving the speed limit and someone behind you just has to speed because, well, they just HAVE TO, why not support raising the speed limit penalties to something that will actually actively discourage speeding?

How about upping enforcement for both. On board with that?
I honestly think enforcement is adequate for speeding otherwise there would not be so many people with radar detectors trying to beat speeding tickets.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,924 times
The only way people learn is by hitting their pockets. I wish there was an electronic method of writing you up for a moving violation if you camp on the passing lane. After participating in this thread, I did notice this morning that cars are lined up on the passing lane.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Lots of people do it (including me). The difference is, I don't tie myself into knots trying to justify the fact that I have deliberately chosen to break the law, AND I don't try to blame people who AREN'T breaking the law for the predictable consequences of my own actions. I admit that I'm doing something wrong and don't pretend that the people who have chosen to obey the law are the cause of the problem and should change their actions to suit me so that I can continue to do wrong.
The law that you worship so much at one point criminalized aiding a slave who had run away from a plantation - were the slaves doing something wrong? No, absolutely not. Sometimes the law is wrong, and thus should not be obeyed or approved of. Also, laws change. Does morality change along with it? Was a 59 mph speed on the highway morally wrong from 1974 to 1987? Was selling alcohol wrong from 1920 and 1933? It seems ridiculous to me to use laws passed by governments as the only basis for judging right and wrong.

Quote:
WAY too much of the attitude of "if I'm breaking the law and someone is in my way, they should get out of MY way because I am the center of the universe and the law doesn't apply to me" displayed here. Plus a lot of this going on whenever there's any suggestion that maybe the reason the person speeding in whatever lane is having to slow down is NOT THEIR FAULT but someone, anyone, else's.
I would like to point out that the very same law that you're pontificating about instructs drivers to pull over for faster-moving traffic regardless of how fast they are going. "I am the center of the universe and the law doesn't apply to me" seems to describe your attitude more so than the rest of us. I ask for no special treatment because if the law is unreasonable or wrong then it shouldn't apply to anyone.

"Keep right except to pass" is a sensible procedure that improves traffic flow. As far as I'm concerned you are free to drive at whatever speed you desire so long as you don't obstruct traffic or create a road hazard. I make the utmost effort to extend that courtesy to all drivers, and I expect that same courtesy to be returned if I desire to travel faster than you do. Allowing people to travel at their own pace instead of blocking them from moving faster than you are is the essence of the "slower traffic keep right" paradigm, it improves traffic flow, and cuts down on road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive