Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,665,820 times

Advertisements

I drive a crown vic, I just go faster and traffic parts like the redsea.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,486,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How about upping the penalties for speeding? Y'all all in favor of that, too, or only for those activities that keep you from violating that pesky law YOU don't like?

As for speed limits being set "reasonably", the problem is that there will always be those 15% of the people for whom "reasonable" translates as "as fast as I possibly can go", aka "bat out of hell", and those are almost always the ones who are complaining that the speed limits are not "reasonable", either not being competent to recognize or willing to admit that they are that 15% and they are the problem.
Raise the penalty all you want. If the cops are not pulling us over, it doesn't matter. I know all states are different, but in my area, if the flow is doing 15 over, you are not getting touched by the cops.

Anyone who holds up another car in the fast lane is a problem. Does not matter what the speed is. Doesnt matter if you are going 10 under, the speed limit, 10 over, 20 over. If you hold up traffic, you are causing a problem. Its not the left lane loafers job to police the road. It's also rude.

15%, did you read this somewhere or is it one of those 95% of people make up stats on the fly thing?

Break down why people speed. Some just do it, no reason. Some may be late for something. Some may have an emergency, and get this, some actually just like being in the lead. I dont know anybody though that just the "as fast as i possibly can go" mindset.

Sometimes, the flow dictates the safer speeds. Take 100 cars in the fast lane all doing 10 over. The flow is good. Oops, some left lane loafer just shot across all the lanes, right into the fast lane, doing 2 under. Now, you will have about 100 unnecessary right hand passes which put more people at risk because of one careless driver. Making a lane change to the right is more dangerous then left lane changes. The odds of someone avoiding this loafer greatly increases the odds of an accident.

These are things that are studied and why other laws are put into place, such as keep right except to pass.

I know, I know, but if everybody did the speed limit...

The government knows thats not the case. We all know thats not the case. To many variables come to play and that theory wont work. Theories sound nice sometimes, but reality is what fuels the fire.

What it all boils down to is this. There will be speeders. There will be tailgaters. There will be aggressive tailgaters. There will be legal beagles hogging the left lane. There will be aggressive drivers. All these things are illegal. Regardless of your stance on tailgaters, the absolute best thing you can do is politely move over and let them pass. Its the safest thing to do, minimizes road rage, and minimizes traffic accidents.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,485,505 times
Speed limits are supposed to be set based on the 85/15 rule. Therefore, the 15% that drive faster than the 85% do (in other words. the ones who have some part of their anatomy that is NOT their foot identified firmly with how fast they drive and evidently feel that their manhood is being threatened if they're asked to obey speed limits or if someone gets in the way of them speeding). I thought that particular fact had been bandied about enough in these threads by people supporting your side of the discussion that you'd be familiar with it.

I don't worship any particular law, by the way. I just think it's really important that those in charge of maneuvering multi-thousand pound vehicles on public roadways be adult enough to acknowledge that they're doing something wrong AND adult enough not to pretend that someone who is in their way of doing so is the person who is causing the problem. That would seem to be a very basic level of maturity required for doing something that has the possibility of endangering the lives of others.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM

50,505 posts, read 47,277,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdkt7 View Post
I will move over for speeders if it will not cause me a problem. However a lot of the time once you move over you have to slow way down, and then you are stuck there. And if you do let the fool ahead of you he still has nowhere to go. I see no reason why I should go slow so you can go fast.
I just let them pass so when the chain reaction braking starts the moron won't be up my @#$ in a mult-car pile up.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,510,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just let them pass so when the chain reaction braking starts the moron won't be up my @#$ in a mult-car pile up.

Totally agree. A driver whose main focus is just to overtake the person in front should never be behind you. Allow him/her to pass as soon as you can.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,486,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Speed limits are supposed to be set based on the 85/15 rule. Therefore, the 15% that drive faster than the 85% do (in other words. the ones who have some part of their anatomy that is NOT their foot identified firmly with how fast they drive and evidently feel that their manhood is being threatened if they're asked to obey speed limits or if someone gets in the way of them speeding). I thought that particular fact had been bandied about enough in these threads by people supporting your side of the discussion that you'd be familiar with it.

I don't worship any particular law, by the way. I just think it's really important that those in charge of maneuvering multi-thousand pound vehicles on public roadways be adult enough to acknowledge that they're doing something wrong AND adult enough not to pretend that someone who is in their way of doing so is the person who is causing the problem. That would seem to be a very basic level of maturity required for doing something that has the possibility of endangering the lives of others.
I dont think anybody is saying speeding is not wrong. It is in the letter of the law. The eyes of the law overlook it though.

Its just as wrong for a left lane hog to block any car regardless of their speed as it is for a speeder to tailgate.
It goes both ways.

The 85/15 rule you speak of is just that. 15% drive faster then 85%. No other words. That is just gibberish you made up. A poorly loose interpretation. Many speed limits are beyond outdated. Our perimeter freeway in Atlanta is 55 MPH. You'd be lucky to find anybody on that going less then 60. The 85/15 rule would probably put the average 85% at 65MPH. The fast lane on that freeway is often mid to high 70's. Thats the flow, and the flow doesn't get messed with by the police.

The 85/15 says nothing about manhood. Women speed and tailgate often too.

Its really really simple. I does not matter how fast one is going. If one is holding up a car going faster, they should allow the pass. If one does not want to be tailgated, move over and they wont be tailgated anymore. Its that simple. Super simple. If one decides to allow a tailgater to tailgate because they they are going the speed limit, they are now just as bad. That is negative behavior that leads to road rage.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM

19,172 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
The 85/15 says nothing about manhood. Women speed and tailgate often too.

Its really really simple. I does not matter how fast one is going. If one is holding up a car going faster, they should allow the pass. If one does not want to be tailgated, move over and they wont be tailgated anymore. Its that simple. Super simple. If one decides to allow a tailgater to tailgate because they they are going the speed limit, they are now just as bad. That is negative behavior that leads to road rage.

My observations--subjective though they may be--are that men tend to speed more than women do, but women--OVERWHELMINGLY--are the worst offenders when it comes to tailgating.

As I stated in an earlier post, I tend to ride in the right lane as much as possible, due to the reality that I can usually drive faster in that lane, legally passing the cars traveling abreast of each other in the left & center lanes as they form their rolling roadblocks. But, even though I am usually moving faster than most of the other traffic, I frequently wind up with some dizzy woman in back of me (yacking on a hand-held cell phone of course) who is so oblivious to things like safe following distances that she drives only about 1 car length in back of me--at a speed of 65-75 mph. My solution is to just take my foot off of the gas, and slow down about 5-10 mph until she gets aggravated and switches lanes.

I have a female friend who constantly tailgates other cars. When I used to ride with her, it was a real white-knuckle experience each time, and I would usually give her a gentle reminder, such as--I think that you should leave a little more room between you and the car in front of you, Carol.

Her response each time would be..."I'm not tailgating!", despite the fact that she was always tailgating. The battle scars on her car are mute testimony to her driving record.

Now, when we go anywhere, I just say, Let's take my car. It's just so much easier, and less nerve-wracking, to drive us in my car, rather than subject myself to her wacky driving style and her combative refusal to acknowledge that she is tailgating.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,510,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Now, when we go anywhere, I just say, Let's take my car. It's just so much easier, and less nerve-wracking, to drive us in my car, rather than subject myself to her wacky driving style and her combative refusal to acknowledge that she is tailgating.

Did you ever think how hard it must be for her to ride with you

Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 AM

19,172 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Did you ever think how hard it must be for her to ride with you
Since you know neither my friend nor me, why would you make the presumption that it is "hard" for her to ride with me?

Last edited by Retriever; 04-03-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,517,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly and that's common sense which isn't so common. rep'd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive