Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

I caught myself using them to indicate I was turning as I went round and round up the parking garage this morning. Kind of silly, there is no where else to go, but it is just habit. If I am going to turn the steering wheel, I flick the signal first without even thinking about it. Still I am certain there are times I miss. In part it depends on the car and how much movement is necessary, whether it is automatic or manual, how many hands are otherwise busy. If I am driving with my knees, ti is kind of hard to flip the turn signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 AM

132 posts, read 182,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's been the same complaint for 50 years. If City Data forum was around in the 1950s, someone would have posted a thread on rude drivers not using their signals.

I must disagree; having been driving since 1965, I have seen a steady decline in driving skills and courtesy, exacerbated by fools talking & texyting while in tenous control of their vehicle.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alte hornise View Post
I must disagree; having been driving since 1965, I have seen a steady decline in driving skills and courtesy, exacerbated by fools talking & texyting while in tenous control of their vehicle.
It is absolutely getting worse. Sit at any intersection and watch how many people blow through solid red lights..........I'm not talking about a light that just changed to red, but one that has been red for a while. It is really getting bad that way.

Don

Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you bump an old thread, you get lambasted for bringing up something that is so old. If you start a new thread, you get lambasted for starting a thread on a subject that was already discussed at length.

the only solution is to ignore the lambasters.
There is one other solution.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
In the Seattle area, I find most people to be pretty good about using their turn signals, but last month I was in Florida and the difference is quite noticeable. Not to blame Floridians only, because many people there are from other parts of the country, but I was frustrated by how many people were not using their turn signals there, to the point of causing dangerous conditions in some instances.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
In the Seattle area, I find most people to be pretty good about using their turn signals, but last month I was in Florida and the difference is quite noticeable. Not to blame Floridians only, because many people there are from other parts of the country, but I was frustrated by how many people were not using their turn signals there, to the point of causing dangerous conditions in some instances.
Indeed, you'll never guess where I live...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,385,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you bump an old thread, you get lambasted for bringing up something that is so old. If you start a new thread, you get lambasted for starting a thread on a subject that was already discussed at length.

the only solution is to ignore the lambasters.
Well said!

On topic, yes, it is pretty annoying that people are too lazy to use their turn signals (that's really all it is, laziness). I hate it when someone slows down in front of me for no apparent reason, and then flicks their signal on one second before turning.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Now I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but in my own observations on the road, I notice that it seems often to be drivers who are otherwise slow and careful, speed-limit and not above drivers, who are the ones who skip using their turn signals. I always wonder why (I assume passive-aggressiveness, but then again I am biased).

I too get annoyed when people put them on last second. I see many people move into a left-turn lane, and then once in it, out their signal on. We KNOW by then that you're turning, you were supposed to signal your intent before the lane change, silly goose!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Now I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but in my own observations on the road, I notice that it seems often to be drivers who are otherwise slow and careful, speed-limit and not above drivers, who are the ones who skip using their turn signals. I always wonder why (I assume passive-aggressiveness, but then again I am biased).

I too get annoyed when people put them on last second. I see many people move into a left-turn lane, and then once in it, out their signal on. We KNOW by then that you're turning, you were supposed to signal your intent before the lane change, silly goose!
Yup. These tend to be the folks that are distracted on the phone, or looking for the fry they dropped, tuning the radio, putting on makeup. Drive slow, clueless on whats around them, what their car is doing, etc.

For me, I've always been a faster driver. I learned that if I am going to speed, use my blinkers. That way, my ticket is only for one violation. The two moving violation's in some states can bump a speeding ticket to aggressive or even reckless driving.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why would you want bad driving enforced? Here in the Land of the Free we don't need to be forced to drive bad. We do it freely.

You know what he meant. Let me explain things to you- The meaning of the statement is clear...that the LAWs to curb bad driving are not enforced....turn signals...People who do not use them are the same people who do not flush the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive