Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,886,582 times

Advertisements

There was an incident here a while ago where a BMW that didn't seem to ever use turn signals and had the driver's side window open got its signal lever ripped off by another driver, saying: "You don't use it anyway." He got punished for it but it was still funny as hell.

Most people seem to use turn signals here but only during or after their maneuver, making them largely useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM

15,478 posts, read 25,960,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You know what he meant. Let me explain things to you- The meaning of the statement is clear...that the LAWs to curb bad driving are not enforced....turn signals...People who do not use them are the same people who do not flush the toilet.
Did you see the smiley in my post?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:40 PM

102,410 posts, read 108,779,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Is it me, or do people just not use turn signals anymore? It's just common courtesy really. If you're way down the road and I want to turn left and you're going to slow down and turn right, it would be really nice if you signaled so I knew you were slowing down and I can turn. It's rude and just causes more traffic backups. I know I know, I'm not going to blindly believe they are going to turn, but there are several intersections here where you can turn left off of high speed roads and if people in the right lane coming from the other direction would use their signal, it would make life a lot easier.

And on the highway, if you're going to cut me off because you just HAVE to get over for some unknown reason, at least do me the courtesy of using your signal instead of just darting over 2 inches in front of me like I'm not even there, and then proceed to go under the posted limit and never turn or exit, thus proving you didn't even need to get over in the first place. It's really irritating.

Let's not even get into merging... here's a hint, people may be more apt to let you in if you make your intentions know via your turn signal!!
"Common courtesy"?? It's for your own safety and that of the people behind you! Where do you live, btw? I thought it was a New Mexico thing, that people don't signal, but I'm hearing it's common in other parts of the SW as well. I wish the police would ticket people for failing to use their signal. It might increase signal use.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,812,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Is it me, or do people just not use turn signals anymore? It's just common courtesy really. If you're way down the road and I want to turn left and you're going to slow down and turn right, it would be really nice if you signaled so I knew you were slowing down and I can turn. It's rude and just causes more traffic backups. I know I know, I'm not going to blindly believe they are going to turn, but there are several intersections here where you can turn left off of high speed roads and if people in the right lane coming from the other direction would use their signal, it would make life a lot easier.

And on the highway, if you're going to cut me off because you just HAVE to get over for some unknown reason, at least do me the courtesy of using your signal instead of just darting over 2 inches in front of me like I'm not even there, and then proceed to go under the posted limit and never turn or exit, thus proving you didn't even need to get over in the first place. It's really irritating.

Let's not even get into merging... here's a hint, people may be more apt to let you in if you make your intentions know via your turn signal!!
Sad, isn't it, SaintCabbage?

Could it be far too many drivers nowadays are much too busy "chatting and/or texting" to be bothered with turn signals?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM

471 posts, read 982,305 times
In decades of driving, I have come to realize that if I want to merge from a left lane into the right lane to turn, using signals almost 100% of the time causes the person to speed up and sit in the gap next to me so I can't get over, maybe even smiling at me at the same time. So now I usually merge when I need to and let others just deal with it, using my signals only when there is not the opportunity for other drivers to cause me problems. I know that those drivers would have not welcomed me there even if I had signaled.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM

102,410 posts, read 108,779,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
In decades of driving, I have come to realize that if I want to merge from a left lane into the right lane to turn, using signals almost 100% of the time causes the person to speed up and sit in the gap next to me so I can't get over, maybe even smiling at me at the same time. So now I usually merge when I need to and let others just deal with it, using my signals only when there is not the opportunity for other drivers to cause me problems. I know that those drivers would have not welcomed me there even if I had signaled.
You drive in a dog-eat-dog world! In my town, they don't always drop back to let people in, like they're supposed to, but they don't get aggressive and try to block you, either. You just have to choose your opportunities to merge carefully.

My main objection is when people suddenly slow way down in the middle of traffic, seemingly for no reason, so you have no idea what they're doing, and then they veer off onto a side street. That's dangerous, and it really requires using the signal in advance of the sudden drop in speed.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM

51,441 posts, read 37,125,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You drive in a dog-eat-dog world! In my town, they don't always drop back to let people in, like they're supposed to, but they don't get aggressive and try to block you, either. You just have to choose your opportunities to merge carefully.

My main objection is when people suddenly slow way down in the middle of traffic, seemingly for no reason, so you have no idea what they're doing, and then they veer off onto a side street. That's dangerous, and it really requires using the signal in advance of the sudden drop in speed.
My biggest peeve is when there are 2 lanes at a light, and you are behind a car in the left lane with no turn signal on....then when the light turns green, THERE comes the left turn signal on, when it's too late for me to get into the other lane.

I lie, I have 2 peeves...the other is when I'm trying to cross a busy street at a stop sign, and there is a car coming towards me from the left, so I don't go...only to have the car turn right down the street I'm on without a signal. Had they signaled ahead of time I could have gone across.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,868,076 times
Like I said before...I used to think that people did not signal because they simply forget. Then I imagine that some jerks on the road think like this..."I am not going to signal - cos' the other guy might figure out what I am about to do" .... which is contrary to why we have signaling devices on automobiles. People are so stupid and think they always have to compete instead of co-operating. The twits that are cute like to signal after they make the move or turn...as if that makes up for the misdeed.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,421,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
That reminds me of this road rage incident on Youtube, from Russia:

Driver Takes Revenge on Second Driver - YouTube

Notice at the end the guy that gets splashed takes off after the other driver. It's not nice to not let people merge.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,497,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
That reminds me of this road rage incident on Youtube, from Russia:

Driver Takes Revenge on Second Driver - YouTube

Notice at the end the guy that gets splashed takes off after the other driver. It's not nice to not let people merge.
Every time I see this I find it funny. However, the SUV driver should have sucked up his ego and merged appropriately. He was in the lane that was ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive