Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,767,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
In decades of driving, I have come to realize that if I want to merge from a left lane into the right lane to turn, using signals almost 100% of the time causes the person to speed up and sit in the gap next to me so I can't get over, maybe even smiling at me at the same time. So now I usually merge when I need to and let others just deal with it, using my signals only when there is not the opportunity for other drivers to cause me problems. I know that those drivers would have not welcomed me there even if I had signaled.
If you are unable to merge over without someone speeding up and "blocking" you there wasnt enough room to merge in the first place..or you were to slow at merging and going slower than the person in the other lane which made it seem like they sped up but in all actuality they werent.

Just because you use a turn signal does not give you the right to switch lanes whenever you feel you need to. A blinker allows other drivers to know your intentions and when there is a gap big enough to merge over you do so. Dont put a blinker on and expect the other lane to slow down for you to merge over, it doesnt work that way. If you need to get over that bad you should have been in that lane to start with instead of waiting till the last minute. Driving with the flow of traffic also helps merge over as well because if someone has to slow down just for you, the person a mile behind you has to slow down too and that just starts a chain reaction that leads to traffic.

Its not always everyone else that is the problem and people should stop passing the blame for their own short comings. I use my blinker 100% of the time even if I am the only one on the road. Its a natural reaction and I dont even think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:35 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,830,066 times
If someone on front me turns without a blinker, i kindly lay on the horn and push the i. To the turn.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
If you are unable to merge over without someone speeding up and "blocking" you there wasnt enough room to merge in the first place..or you were to slow at merging and going slower than the person in the other lane which made it seem like they sped up but in all actuality they werent.

Just because you use a turn signal does not give you the right to switch lanes whenever you feel you need to. A blinker allows other drivers to know your intentions and when there is a gap big enough to merge over you do so. Dont put a blinker on and expect the other lane to slow down for you to merge over, it doesnt work that way. If you need to get over that bad you should have been in that lane to start with instead of waiting till the last minute. Driving with the flow of traffic also helps merge over as well because if someone has to slow down just for you, the person a mile behind you has to slow down too and that just starts a chain reaction that leads to traffic.

Its not always everyone else that is the problem and people should stop passing the blame for their own short comings. I use my blinker 100% of the time even if I am the only one on the road. Its a natural reaction and I dont even think about it.
Exactly. One wonders where he got the idea that the other traffic is supposed to slow down to let him do what he wants to do when he wants to do it, thus causing problems for the following traffic (where maybe someone was doing it right and doing a merge at speed but suddenly couldn't or perhaps there was even an accident because the car ahead of where he was merging in had to suddenly slow down because someone ahead slowed down to let Mr. Entitled in).

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Some vehicles simply cannot see clearly enough or are not nimble enough to change lanes on a crowded freeway. (Vans for example). Only choice, put the signal on for a while and slowly move over. People will make room.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some vehicles simply cannot see clearly enough or are not nimble enough to change lanes on a crowded freeway. (Vans for example). Only choice, put the signal on for a while and slowly move over. People will make room.
WOW, Coldjensens . . . NO MIRRORS IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS?

I know I've been on the road with you a bunch of times . . . THREE BLINKS and LOOK OUT.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
WOW, Coldjensens . . . NO MIRRORS IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS?

I know I've been on the road with you a bunch of times . . . THREE BLINKS and LOOK OUT.
Exactly. Yes, I've driven a van, and on a crowded freeway. Fortunately, I long ago learned how to use side mirrors - and vans usually have big ones!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
YES, turn signals are those things you activate, when you want to let the idiot in the next lane know...it is now time to try and stop me from changing lanes

Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,395,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
YES, turn signals are those things you activate, when you want to let the idiot in the next lane know...it is now time to try and stop me from changing lanes
Sometimes I wish all vehicles just came with cameras installed in their back and front windshields automatically, with digital displays of the speed the vehicle is going and if any turn signals are activated. People could turn them on/off at their leisure. But if someone pulled this sort of stunt, a person would automatically have proof of it. Might sound extreme to a lot of folks here, but this sort of behavior can cause some serious accidents. And don't worry, it could be a very mild "punishment" for first or second time offenders. I think just being liable would straighten a lot of these people out.

And in general, it's a far more efficient and safe way of catching someone committing a crime or traffic violation than trying to record it with your cell phone while driving!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM

19,551 posts, read 9,563,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well said!

On topic, yes, it is pretty annoying that people are too lazy to use their turn signals (that's really all it is, laziness). I hate it when someone slows down in front of me for no apparent reason, and then flicks their signal on one second before turning.
Last minute (or rather, seconds) decision? Should I turn - or not? Hmm?
Believe me, I've been behind some of those people.
Maybe it's a house # that they were looking for and then it's like, "oh yeah, that must be the house" (and make their quick turn in). Meanwhile, brakes of the cars behind them are practically screeching to a halt.
I mean, they still have to slow down a tad to turn it but sometimes, realize where they're turning in has a
huge pothole and halfway into their turn it's an even slower progression because they're not still totally off the road. Then, again I've been behind people who were looking for a particular house # and it's easier to recognize them as they drive for a bit, hesitate, drive on, drive for a bit, hesitate, drive on type of driving but the ones that drive fast and then all of a sudden, turn in with but a seconds notice of a signal or none at all and then get stuck half-way through their turn, can be a bit disconcerting. Being behind them, I'd rather know that they are at least thinking of turning in with the presence of a signal (ahead of time, rather than at the last few seconds). I'd rather be at a slow stop and wait than a screeching of the brakes type wait.

For those that tend to leave your signal on for miles on end; either because you didn't take the turn or your vehicle didn't recognize it as a turn or so didn't cancel it, how do you NOT hear it??? Ah, the music in your car is blasting loud enough, I guess . Anyways, that's something that even I; with tinnitis, find hard not to notice. There's times I can't keep up with multiple conversations going on or loud music and trying to hear the waitress talk, but that clicking [noise],...ahhhhh (drives me crazy) Maybe that's part of my tinnitis quirk? Don't know. If I'm in the car with DH driving and he's got the signal going and hasn't turned it off in a bit, [me: even coming out of a groggy sleep] you can bet your bottom that I'd be the one saying, "dear, your turn signal is still on". I used to be able to tell whether it's the right one or the left one but not sure now if I still can do that.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM

19,551 posts, read 9,563,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It is absolutely getting worse. Sit at any intersection and watch how many people blow through solid red lights..........I'm not talking about a light that just changed to red, but one that has been red for a while. It is really getting bad that way.

Don
I don't think that's right either but I do know that some jurisdictions, certain lights stay on for very long periods of time. Should be better timed. Though that's never really a good excuse either. I might be able to see 1 car sneek through that but after the 3rd or 4th car, maybe even the 5th one behind going through the red solid light?!!! No way!!! Now, they've either jeopardized other vehicles getting into collisions and very least, but still downright annoying, cut the time off that the people had with the green light before that changes to red. I really didn't see that happen in my area until within the past couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive