Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,268 times

Advertisements

As friends and family mourn the tragic loss of actor Paul Walker, stories are beginning to emerge that reveal what kind person he really was.

This is just one of those stories.....

Actor Paul Walker Bought Iraq Vet and His Fiancee Engagement Ring

Several years ago, Walker walked into Bailey Banks and Biddle Jewelers in Santa Barbara, Calif., to browse for some high-end jewelry, according to sales associate Irene King. Also in the store were a military veteran who had just finished his first tour of duty in Iraq and his fiancee. They were reportedly looking for an engagement ring.

“There’s Paul Walker,” King recalled another sales associate telling her.

“I said, ‘Yeah, he’s a nice-looking man,’” King told CBS Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, the Iraq veteran and his fiancee had finally found a ring set they really liked, but it far too expensive at $10,000.

“Honey, I can’t afford that,” the veteran reportedly told his fiancee.

Walker then reportedly called over the store manager and told him to put the expensive ring on his “tab.” However, he asked that his identity be kept a secret. While many actors would have made sure the act of charity was on the front page of every tabloid, that was clearly not Walker’s motive.

“To do something like that to a perfect stranger is just unbelievable,” King said.

King posted the story on Walker’s Facebook page, where thousands of people have remembered the 40-year-old star as “generous,” “loving” and with a “heart of gold,” Yahoo! reports.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:13 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,941,171 times
Curious, if he asked it to be kept a secret how come we are hearing about it????

Also if a $10,000 ring is too expensive, tell the woman - "IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!"

Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Such a nice gesture.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM

255 posts, read 661,060 times
The car was not tampered with. PW's shop (Always Evolving), owned the car. They were the 6th registered owner of the 450,000 Carrera GT. This isn't your standard Porsche that you can buy at any time. These car's are EXTREMELY hard to drive. Jay Leno spun his out, he was luckier. It has been noted by Porsche engineer's that the car's are not safe for the vast majority of drivers. No traction control. High horsepower, rear engine. They are amazing car's, handle amazing, very fast. The limits of this car are very high, but once you break traction at a high speed or reach those limit's, your chances of recovering are very slim. Yes, Roger was an established racer, but the circumstances happen so quickly in a car like that, especially on the street that it didn't matter.

PW was a legitimate good person. Did ton's of charity work, was one of few celebs you never heard about being in trouble for anything at all. He was not just an actor. He was genuinely thankful for everything he had in life and gave back to others as much as possible. The world did not just lose another celeb, the world lost a good person.

The only negative thing I can say is that they obviously made a bad decision to drive the car as fast as they did on the street. But to attempt to belittle them for it, would be asinine and hypocritical in my opinion. Not a single person condemning them for driving recklessly has a 100% clean track record. We have all done dumb things. Myself included, I have raced for years and years, and while I always try to keep it at the track as most people do...I would be lying if I said I hadn't done dumb thing's off the track.

If it's your time, it's your time.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:57 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,460,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Curious, if he asked it to be kept a secret how come we are hearing about it????
If you read the entire story, you'd see that one of the sales clerks at the jewelry shop posted it on his Facebook page after his death.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
No offense, since I'm a Paul Walker fan, and this is a great story, but this is hardly automotive news, so either put this kind of thing in the already existing Paul Walker thread or the current events section or celebrities...

Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
The store owner/clerk thought it would be a nice thing to put out there in memory of Paul Walker to show how generous he was in this instance.

Quote:
Also if a $10,000 ring is too expensive, tell the woman - "IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE!!!"
Maybe the veteran did say this... but Paul Walker wanted them to have it anyway. It's not like the Iraq veteran said "oh ok, here is my credit card."

Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
class act.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
No offense, since I'm a Paul Walker fan, and this is a great story, but this is hardly automotive news, so either put this kind of thing in the already existing Paul Walker thread or the current events section or celebrities...
I agree, great story, but has NOTHING to do with automotive, should be in the Paul Walker thread. I reported it two days ago, but this forum(automotive) is not moderated properly.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
This story has to do with automotive safety - something a LOT of people on this forum need to learn about as it might get them to slow down and that could save their life!

It most certainly belongs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive