Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I was surprised and saddened to hear that. At least he died doing what he enjoyed.
Driving (riding) too fast on public streets?

They were doing what Justin Bieber gets blasted for. They both seemed like good guys, but their death is the result of a dumb decision that also put ordinary people at risk. What if they ran into the back of a schoolbus? Would we feel so bad for them then?

Willow Springs Raceway is one hour north of there. They could have tested the car there if they wanted to. They would have had plenty of run-off area and would probably be here today. Now, a teenage daughter, family and friends are left to pick up the pieces.

Last edited by dbbd; 12-09-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post

They were doing what Justin Bieber gets blasted for. They both seemed like good guys, but their death is the result of a dumb decision that also put ordinary people at risk. What if they ran into the back of a schoolbus? Would we feel so bad for them then?

Willow Springs Raceway is one hour north of there. They could have tested the car there if they wanted to. They would have had plenty of run-off area and would probably be here today. Now, a teenage daughter, family and friends are left to pick up the pieces.

just because a racetrack is nearby doesn't mean you can go drive on it whenever you want.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Originally Posted by dbbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
just because a racetrack is nearby doesn't mean you can go drive on it whenever you want.
And this justifies using a public street as a racetrack exactly how?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
Maybe they were chasing Johnny Tran

Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,200 times

They need to build more racetracks and make them cheaper to go on

Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM

Cost of going on the nearby racetrack was likely not a factor in this case. But I agree with you - there's plenty of people who could and likely would use them to get their speed fix, in a way that doesn't endanger others on the roadways, if there were more and they were affordable, and I think that would be absolutely a win for everybody. Much as it might look like it to some, I'm not against speed - heck, I was a biker chick back in the day and got to watch machines being built to go out to the Bonneville Salt Flats to try to break the world speed record, and spent some time at the tracks (though not driving or riding, just enjoying). It's just that I do know the difference between the track and public roadways, and it's disturbing how many people apparently don't. Even some that should know better. And people die as a result.

I think it would be awesome if everyone who needs that kick could get it where they're not only not endangering anyone else, but giving their skill and their vehicle a real test against real competitors.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:15 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

And this justifies using a public street as a racetrack exactly how?
it doesn't, but reality is that when people can't get on a track to get their fix, they will get it on the roads.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:41 PM

890 posts, read 1,850,429 times
Quote:

Willow Springs has open testing and tuning every Friday. Track rentals are available in half or whole days and range from 400-3000 dollars. If there is a will, there is a way. They had the means.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
it doesn't, but reality is that when people can't get on a track to get their fix, they will get it on the roads.
Peer pressure considering this kind of childish behavior unacceptable (and by peers I mean the folks that love speed) rather than something to be accepted and making excuses for them would make the reality a lot different.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Peer pressure considering this kind of childish behavior unacceptable (and by peers I mean the folks that love speed) rather than something to be accepted and making excuses for them would make the reality a lot different.
I don't believe peer pressure has very much to do with it. I don't know the guy next to me. I don't care who they are. All I care about is that they don't hit me, and vice versa.

I'll drive at the speed that I feel comfortable with, which should be the 85th percentile speed. Inappropriate speed limits are simply unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive