Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So take a good look at that picture above. That is what happens when you drive fast. The reason there are speed limits!

Note I have been a very safe driver all my life - pretty much driving around the speed limit after seeing pictures like that in high school...
That's kind of one-sided don't you think? It is entirely possible to drive fast in a controlled, safe environment. There are always going to be risks involved. Also being a safe driver doesn't correlate entirely with driving "around" the speed limit. There are multiple factors that make up being a safe driver.

I'd argue that this crash is more of a result of being unfamiliar with the characteristics of the CGT's handling. The CGT is a notoriously tricky car for people not accustomed to it.

Regardless, the driver should not have been going as fast as he was in that location. Surface streets are not the place for testing auto performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,517,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Talk about irony. R.I.P.
This is the exact opposite of irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Does anyone know if he had already started filming parts for Fast 7? Anyways, RIP.
The news said he had starting "working on" the seventh film. That doesn't necessarily mean filming, though.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 AM
DPK

Regarding the CGT's handling, here's a video from Top Gear showing how even The Stig has problems getting it to not spin out from behind him in a turn. Go to roughly 6 minutes into the video for the test drive.

BBC: Porsche Carrera GT Car Review- Top Gear - YouTube

Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
The speed limit was 45 mph where the accident happened. That is NOT the result of a one car crash at 45 mph or anything even marginally close to it.

That is the result of someone just knowing they're such a great driver that they can decide for themselves how fast they can drive for the conditions.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:37 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,954 times
I knew it would show up. I bet it was jumping for joy after hearing the news.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
EXCUSES . . . EXCUSES . . . EXCUSES.

This is nothing but an obvious example of STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE behind the wheel.

THANK GOD they did not take any innocent law abiding individuals with them.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
If you want to learn how to determine what a safe speed is, read the following...
Procedures for Establishing Speed Zones: Determining the 85th Percentile Speed

Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
EXCUSES . . . EXCUSES . . . EXCUSES.

This is nothing but an obvious example of STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE behind the wheel.

THANK GOD they did not take any innocent law abiding individuals with them.
I don't think anyone in here is making any excuses for them. We all realize they were going too fast for the conditions of that road in a combination for the handling characteristics of that vehicle.

So how about we all ease up here with the capital letters, font colors, and pretending we're all holier than thou perfect snowflakes.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
The driver was Roger Rodas, owner and CEO of Always Evolving motorsports. He was a very experienced driver. More information about him can be found on their website http://alwaysevolving.com/

He had a lot of track experience and is probably a better driver than 99% of drivers out there. Something went very wrong here, but do not make the mistake of thinking this was some punk kid tearing around in a car he knew nothing about and couldn't handle. He was also very involved in charities, such as Dream Rides 4 Kids, and Reach out Worldwide.

If you're going to talk badly about the dead, you should probably consider that he did more for humanity and charitable causes than you ever will.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM

270 posts, read 703,811 times
I was watching the marathon of F&F and my cousin texted me about the sad news. Couldn't believe it after I read it! Experienced drivers or not, that Carrera GT has lots of power. One wheels spin and it's over. Hope he didn't suffered. RIP.
P.S: To those who criticized the "driving safely" thingy, stop being a hypocrite. It's a Porsche with 600HP RWD, you don't drive it like a Fiat and don't say that you never go over the speed limit, it's bull!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive