Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times

Advertisements

I'd not buy Fit. Unless you do NOT care about driving experience, only about being moved around. Engine is lame. You have to gun her to move faster. May be not the case with manual, but you sound like a female, OP, and I am not sure if you drive stick.
Much better option is Scion xD. less cargo space, but at least it moves. But it's more on a handsome, than cute side. Definitely not a little piggy like 500.
Btw, Scion i-Q has terrific front space and does look very cute.
As of F500... Read my note on Fit.

Btw, if it does not matter, have you noticed F500L? Same driving characteristics as 500, just larger....

I say best option is mid 90s Corolla station wagon. We owned one. Superb cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
While I have a MINI and love it (24k trouble free miles, no rattles or squeakes, even) like the Fiat, it'll not carry a lot of things of youre going antiquing. The Fit is much better in that regard, even if it's not as attractive or as fun.

And yeah, you can pretty much disregard the high speed small offset crash tests. No one has been actually dying in any of these cars in any sort of measurable numbers even without passing that particular test. Youre more likely to be rear ended or t-boned and they all test out fine for those.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
While I have a MINI and love it (24k trouble free miles, no rattles or squeakes, even) like the Fiat, it'll not carry a lot of things of youre going antiquing. The Fit is much better in that regard, even if it's not as attractive or as fun.

And yeah, you can pretty much disregard the high speed small offset crash tests. No one has been actually dying in any of these cars in any sort of measurable numbers even without passing that particular test. Youre more likely to be rear ended or t-boned and they all test out fine for those.
Lucky you,
I was on a Mini outing to Orange County and i was showing a few convertible owners where my windows were being scratched by the convertible mechanism, every convertible had that defect and i inadvertently brought dealer new business. They also fixed a rattle that was starting to annoy me. The mini is a fun car to drive, but IMO only, id sell before the warranty dies as repairs were costly..

Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'd not buy Fit. Unless you do NOT care about driving experience, only about being moved around. Engine is lame. You have to gun her to move faster. May be not the case with manual, but you sound like a female, OP, and I am not sure if you drive stick.
Much better option is Scion xD. less cargo space, but at least it moves. But it's more on a handsome, than cute side. Definitely not a little piggy like 500.
Btw, Scion i-Q has terrific front space and does look very cute.
As of F500... Read my note on Fit.

Btw, if it does not matter, have you noticed F500L? Same driving characteristics as 500, just larger....

I say best option is mid 90s Corolla station wagon. We owned one. Superb cars.
Mid 90s Corolla? That is ridiculous. There has never been a superb Corolla. Reliable? Yes. But if you think a Fit is lame, that 90s Corolla you like is as slow as a Smart4two.

The Fit is fun to drive. I have driven one. But the new one is better.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Id drive all 3 through the streets of the city and pay attention to which one handles the poor road surfaces best. I used to live by Columbia.. So know the streets of nyc pretty well.. Or at least know how bad they can get

People w hondas will recommend hondas, same w fiat or mini owners. Ultimately the op has to lve w their decision.. Btw the new fit looks nice, imo.. And it will be built in Malaysia.. How often can one claim to have a car made there?

Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I like the Fit but the 500 makes me smile. The fit is an appliance.. A toaster oven.

ROFL

The fiat will make you want to drive to the Fiat cafe in nolita and stare at your car as you mangia.
Lol.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,940 times
Yep, have a FIT! It gets more horses this coming year and has oodles of space. It is fun to fling around and go fast. Minis are fun but not that reliable. The 500 is fun to run as well but i worry its too small for any utility and as said above it is a Fiat and the reliability may be iffy.

Be a Fit Wit!!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:35 PM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Have you considered the Kia Soul? Or maybe the Chevy Sonic or Ford Fiesta ? The new Kia Soul is very highly rated and competitively priced.
In that segment I'd say the 2014 Kia Soul and the 2015 Honda Fit would be my two top choices.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:43 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,169,425 times
Also consider a VW Golf, much better driving dynamic.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive, small and reasonably cute car to drive around the city with occasional weekend trips. I am living in NYC and have a dedicated parking space but it is outdoors, so I am trading in my BMW for something that I can sort of beat up but will still be reliable and easy on the gas mileage. I also go antiquing occasionally and would like something I can fit some smaller pieces of furniture in.

Any feedback?
Reasonable cute is a criteria..

Imo id rank
1 Fiat/mini same.. Though Fiat is newer design
2. fit/golf
3. Kia /scion boxes

Occassional haul antiques
1. Fit/ kia soul
2. Mini/fiat. Fiat is taller. Friend parked his volvo v70 next to mine and it was taller than volvo

Not sure how large the scion xb xa are inside.

Id add a pre owned Volvo c30 to the list then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive