Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Those speed limit signs are for big rigs that take a little bit longer to slow down/stop than a regular vehicle. Theres a reason for those signs. I highly doubt there'll ever be a "left lane speed demon sign"
That's not the case in Ohio. The freeway speed limit is the same for all vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 05:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
I repeat, please provide LINKS to the STATUTES that state that the speed limit in the left lane is different from that in other lanes. That was the original question I asked and all of the self-justification in the world and "some states" statements with no backup don't answer it.

I'm not talking about best driving practices here (though IF everyone drove the limit and at the same time anyone driving slower than the limit moved right, that, right there, would by definition be best driving practices), I'm talking about the statutes that set the speed limits.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I repeat, please provide LINKS to the STATUTES that state that the speed limit in the left lane is different from that in other lanes. That was the original question I asked and all of the self-justification in the world and "some states" statements with no backup don't answer it.

I'm not talking about best driving practices here (though IF everyone drove the limit and at the same time anyone driving slower than the limit moved right, that, right there, would by definition be best driving practices), I'm talking about the statutes that set the speed limits.
Illinois vehicle code:

(625 ILCS 5/Ch. 11 Art. VII heading)
ARTICLE VII. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF
ROADWAY; OVERTAKING AND PASSING, ETC.

(625 ILCS 5/11-701) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11-701)
Sec. 11-701. Drive on right side of roadway - Exceptions.
(a) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle
proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movements;
2. When an obstruction exists making it necessary to
drive to the left of the center of the roadway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the roadway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
3. Upon a roadway divided into 3 marked lanes for
traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
4. Upon a roadway restricted to one way traffic;
5. Whenever there is a single track paved road on one
side of the public highway and 2 vehicles meet thereon, the driver on whose right is the wider shoulder shall give the right-of-way on such pavement to the other vehicle.
(b) Upon a 2 lane roadway, providing for 2-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) Upon any roadway having 4 or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for 2-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic-control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under Subsection (a) 2. However, this Subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.
(d) Upon an Interstate highway or fully access controlled freeway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle.
(e) Subsection (d) of this Section does not apply:
(1) when no other vehicle is directly behind the
vehicle in the left lane;
(2) when traffic conditions and congestion make it
impractical to drive in the right lane;
(3) when snow and other inclement weather conditions
make it necessary to drive in the left lane;
(4) when obstructions or hazards exist in the right
lane;
(5) when a vehicle changes lanes to comply with
Sections 11-907 and 11-908 of this Code;
(6) when, because of highway design, a vehicle must
be driven in the left lane when preparing to exit;
(7) on toll highways when necessary to use I-Pass,
and on toll and other highways when driving in the left lane is required to comply with an official traffic control device; or
(8) to law enforcement vehicles, ambulances, and
other emergency vehicles engaged in official duties and vehicles engaged in highway maintenance and construction operations.
(Source: P.A. 93-447, eff. 1-1-04.)

This is just one of many states with similar laws. To clarify, I never explicitly stated that the speed limit is different in the left lane. I stated that if you are going slower than faster moving traffic in the left lane regardless of legal speed limit, it is your duty to move to the right. Notice how none of those exceptions is "when you are at the speed limit".

Old 05-02-2014, 05:42 PM

Where is the bit about the speed limit being different or not existing in the left lane? I get your hobby horse about people getting the heck out of your way in the left lane, and that the part of the statute that's really important to you is that one, but I'm talking about the part of the statute that addresses speed limits, which is equally important in discussing this topic (and, in fact, more pertinent to the OP) and, for that matter, should be taken equally seriously as the one about getting the heck out of your way in the left lane.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:47 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
Quote:
I repeat, please provide LINKS to the STATUTES that state that the speed limit in the left lane is different from that in other lanes.
Route 18, The turnpike around exit 13 (on truck days), the parkway local Vs. Express lanes around exit 127 (55 Vs. 65 MPH), I 78 Near Newark and I 80 Near Hackensack (Local 55 Vs. Express 65), I 80 South near Morristown (55 mph Vs. 65 Mph)

I love posting pics of NJ roads, so here you go

NJ 18 :
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4920...nxSA!2e0?hl=en

The Turnpike:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6179...5ndQ!2e0?hl=en

The Parkway:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4605...Jfbw!2e0?hl=en

I 78:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7161...M4JA!2e0?hl=en

I 80:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8674...9DcA!2e0?hl=en

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-02-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Those are maps, not statutes or even photos of signs saying that the speed limit is different in different lanes. Do you know what a statute is?

Excuse me, I saw the 65 versus 55 part of your post too late, I was focusing on the links. Thanks! That's one turnpike, as opposed to the actual state statutes, but it is a place where lanes differ. I'll try to find photos of it to see.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Those are maps, not statutes or even photos of signs saying that the speed limit is different in different lanes. Do you know what a statute is?

Excuse me, I saw the 65 versus 55 part of your post too late, I was focusing on the links. Thanks! That's one turnpike, as opposed to the actual state statutes, but it is a place where lanes differ. I'll try to find photos of it to see.
No, the lanes dont differ. In NJ along I 80 and I 78 before approaching NYC, lanes divide into 2 sections, local and express. The local lanes are used by those residing within the town/city, and express lanes are used by those coming from far off. To take an exit, one needs to transfer from the local to express lanes. Almost always, the local lanes are posted at 55 MPH, and express lanes are at 65 MPH.

The express lanes are easy for EZ pass commuters from further out, while local lanes are preferred by those paying cash. You can technically use the express lanes to reach cash lanes. But then have to try shifting 6 lanes in this crowd .

Now that the pulaski is closed, things have become much worse . This is actually not too bad :

New York Traffic Jam - YouTube

Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
No, but variable speed limits should be enforced. For example, Daytime:55 MPH Nighttime:65 MPH.
Eh?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Eh?
Yes, late at night roads are empty. Nobody should be unnecessarily penalized for going 10 mph faster on highways.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:59 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Quote:
Where is the bit about the speed limit being different or not existing in the left lane? I get your hobby horse about people getting the heck out of your way in the left lane, and that the part of the statute that's really important to you is that one, but I'm talking about the part of the statute that addresses speed limits, which is equally important in discussing this topic (and, in fact, more pertinent to the OP) and, for that matter, should be taken equally seriously as the one about getting the heck out of your way in the left lane.
That's the best part! The way the law is written omits speed as a factor. Its a simple faster vehicle, slower vehicle relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive