Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 PM

67 posts, read 84,806 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't; I think it should be increased because the roads are designed for a lot more, but we don't have that many skilled drivers on the road like in Germany. I think 75-80mph would be good on current freeways if people knew how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I repeat, please provide LINKS to the STATUTES that state that the speed limit in the left lane is different from that in other lanes. That was the original question I asked and all of the self-justification in the world and "some states" statements with no backup don't answer it.
I don't have links, and I'm not going to look for them, but I have seen express lanes (far left) with faster speed limits posted. They were for cars with at least two occupants, apparently in an effort to encourage car pooling. I've only seen it in cities, and the express lane was fenced off from the other lanes when the faster limits were posted.

That said, no, I'm not in favor of no speed limits. It's the differences in speeds that's often dangerous. Wyoming is introducing 80 mph on certain stretches of interstates this year. I believe the higher speed limit signs will all be electronic so they can be lowered when road conditions are less than ideal. The purpose was to increase the speed limits to the normal speeds driven in those areas and hopefully reduce the differences in speeds between the faster vehicles and the slower ones. I hope it works out as planned. I have my doubts. We have a lot of campers using the interstates here in the summertime, and most can't safely be driven 75, let alone 80 mph. When I'm towing my camper it's 65-68. The tires are only rated for 65 mph, as is the case with most campers.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I don't have links, and I'm not going to look for them, but I have seen express lanes (far left) with faster speed limits posted. They were for cars with at least two occupants, apparently in an effort to encourage car pooling. I've only seen it in cities, and the express lane was fenced off from the other lanes when the faster limits were posted.

That said, no, I'm not in favor of no speed limits. It's the differences in speeds that's often dangerous. Wyoming is introducing 80 mph on certain stretches of interstates this year. I believe the higher speed limit signs will all be electronic so they can be lowered when road conditions are less than ideal. The purpose was to increase the speed limits to the normal speeds driven in those areas and hopefully reduce the differences in speeds between the faster vehicles and the slower ones. I hope it works out as planned. I have my doubts. We have a lot of campers using the interstates here in the summertime, and most can't safely be driven 75, let alone 80 mph. When I'm towing my camper it's 65-68. The tires are only rated for 65 mph, as is the case with most campers.
HOV's have the same speed limits as your regular freeway traffic. Look at the pics I posted to understand what an express lane is.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:38 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,018 times
I remember as a kid our family took a road trip through Montana and thought it was so cool that they didn't have a speed limit. I read an article that stated that traffic deaths decreased because drivers were more aware of their surroundings and other drivers. Quite a paradox.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
If they made some limited access roads AND there were other easily accessible roads for the more cautious driver I would have no problem with it.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And therein lies the problem, people who blame anyone who isn't driving like a bat out of hell in the left lane for their own choice to swerve in and out of traffic rather than slow down to the speed limit. THOSE people are the problem, just as much as people who drive below the limit in the left lane, but it is all but impossible to get them to see it and to accept responsibility for their own actions,

No one, no one, makes you swerve in and out of traffic (or engage in other reckless behavior on the public roads), nor is it "necessary". It's a choice that you yourelf make, no one else, and until you can accept that and the responsibility that goes along with it for the consequences of those choices, you're a bad driver, period.
Every time you bring up this same stupid tirade, I'm going to proffer the same response until you finally get it: Proper lane discipline creates more predictable, more orderly, and more efficient traffic flow whether anyone is speeding or not. It's safer for those being overtaken, it's safer for those doing the overtaking, it's safer for everyone else on the highway. This is a fact at any speed. So do the safest thing for everyone around you and climb off your high horse just long enough to acknowledge that fact and give over when someone is looking to overtake you.

In short: speeding is not inherently dangerous. Creating bottlenecks and unpredictable traffic patterns at high speeds is. Get it yet? Or will we have to go a few more rounds?

Old 05-03-2014, 01:40 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
[d like to be able to go faster - but here is the issue, and i drive over a thousand miles a week, presently, my biggest concerns on the road, is not old people going a bit slower, -that everyone else is swerving around them, it is these little ugly smart-cars and prius's that are doing 10-20 mpg slower than the speed limit,,,and everyone else is swerving around them....ive seen more accidents caused my slower cars, than faster ones ( yeah, its the drivers)

weather, road conditions, visibility, wildlife in roads, all play a factor

you see a moose in the road and you are going 100 mph ,,,start praying...

Old 05-03-2014, 02:41 AM

13,619 posts, read 10,022,774 times
Great for the auto industry, and the oil industry, not sure who else though. ER, maybe?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
No. Most people drive poorly. I would not want more of them to be going fast. Many are incapable of responsibly operating cars at current speed limits. Consider the drunks, who would then choose to go even faster and end more innocent lives.

I would support mandatory breathalyzers in every car where the driver has ever been convicted of an alcohol related offense. I would support mandatory sentencing guidelines for driving drunk. I would not support the victimization of more innocent families.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
People already drive like maniacs so why not?

Yes and no. It depends on the stretch of road. If you are on a flat, straight road that doesn't have a high population, I don't see why not. I live in Florida and have been across Alligator Alley (ie: I-75 when it goes east/west technically from Naples to Miami) and yes wildlife might get on the road there, but I've never seen any. I typically do about maybe 80 there, and cars are driving past me like I am at a stand still.

However, going through Orlando on I-4 which is always busy and a lot of commotion, and MANY tourists not knowing where they are going... I feel a speed limit there is vital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive