Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,794 times

Advertisements

People already drive like maniacs so why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
Nope. There's too many beat up, crappy cars out there that aren't safe at the speed limits we have now. Most cars are unsafe over 90-100mph.

I'm all for letting toll roads be non-limited, with the toll rates jacked way up to keep crappy cars off them.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:05 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
No, I wouldn't. Because of the way you wrote it. You assume that people driving over the speed limit are "maniacs" yet you fail to realize that maniac behavior on the roads has very little to do with speed.

Go to an unrestricted portion of the German autobahn and tell me if they're driving like "maniacs".

Hint: they aren't.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
No. The one thing that both sides in the "the speed limit is the upper/lower limit one can drive" wars seem to agree on is that a primary cause of accidents is cars going at very different speeds on the same road. That is, in fact, one of the very good reasons for speed limits - to minimize that - though while it used to work, in these entitlement days (BOY, does my generation have a lot to pay for!), it's not working so well. But it's the best thing we have right now, and no speed limits at all would create a free for all on the highways just because of the nature of the kind of people we have driving in this country right now.

The autobahn is irrelevant. The culture is entirely different. Now, if there was a way to get both the slow pokes AND the speed addicts off the roadways, then no speed limit might work.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
I'd be in favor of a speed limit on each car, according to license plate class. You can get special plates, that would allow rich people to driver faster than poor ones. It's the American way. Say, 70 for ordinary people, and then an additional 10 mph for each thousand dollars. For $5,000 a year, you can get a plate that allows you go go 120 mph. You don't really want to drive that fast, but imagine the prestige of having a 120-mph vanity plate, to show everybody how important it is for you to get somewhere.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-02-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM

I am in favor cause I don't think driving 100mph+ will hurt anyone except politicians and cops who will lose revenue from speeding tickets.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
no speed limits would be nice, but there are many conditions first;

1: the roads must be redesigned to be super smooth, and curves must be lengthened to make less sharp

2: more safety innovations must be added to US interstates, including widening them to four lanes

3: we must crack down on motorists that drive the speed limit or less in the left lane, in other words we must enforce lane discipline.

4: we have to make getting and keeping a driver license much harder than it is today, and drivers education programs must also be tougher to pass.

5: drivers must learn to keep one eye to the front of the vehicle, and one eye to the rear of the vehicle, so that they can watch for slower vehicles in front of them, and faster vehicles to the rear of them so they can make the right moves at the right time to prevent traffic issues.

sorry but we have a long way to go in this country before we can have no speed limits on our interstate highways.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
For a while, Montana had no speed limits, just "Reasonable and Prudent" for the conditions.

While the vast majority still drove between 65-80, but there are always a few loose screws that have to see if they can test the limit so drive 100+.

One moron came from another state, was caught driving nearly 150, took it to court, lost, but now we have speed limits again.

Unless people police themseves and use good sense, it would be impossible to have no speed limits due to those that want to go as fast as possible and create untold hazzards to the general public from their recklessness.

They never consider there may be wildlife on the roads, or accidents on blind corners, that a 2 lane highway isn't a good place to really open up as someone may be moving equipment or cattle on those rural roads.

The self gratification of driving as fast as possible isn't a good idea when there are people just trying to get to work or visit family or whatever without having to dodge speed demons, or pick up the pieces when they crash and burn.

2 nights ago near my town, a professional driver after dark on a 2 lane road was going too fast for the conditions. The speed limit was 65, he was doing probably at least 85 when he took a corner a little too wide, overcorrected and rolled multiple times, killing himself.

There is a reason for speed limits, the protection of the general population from those that just want the adreneline rush of speed.

If everyone were prudent, there wouldn't be a reason for limits, but they aren't so we have limits.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM

774 posts, read 2,383,222 times
NO Way would I be in favor of unlimited speed.

IN Florida the speed limit is 70, which means most of us are already going 80.
What ticks me off is someone coming up behind me going 90-100, swerving in and out like they own the road.

Invariably, that causes a panic reaction where a line of cars are screeching brakes.

These manics are the prime cause of accidents.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Even with speed limits, maniacs will still drive 100mph+. I've seen Lambos and Ferraris doing 120mph+ weaving in and out of traffic before.

Heck, didn't Paul Walker just die due to speeding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive