Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've watched that video several times and have noted that the vehicle that is "impeding traffic" appears to be going FASTER THAN the cars in the right lanes.

Case is not closed at all.
Try it out, talk with the trooper, and then get back to me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 03:17 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Nope. There's too many beat up, crappy cars out there that aren't safe at the speed limits we have now. Most cars are unsafe over 90-100mph.

I'm all for letting toll roads be non-limited, with the toll rates jacked way up to keep crappy cars off them.
How would that keep crappy cars of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I am in favor cause I don't think driving 100mph+ will hurt anyone except politicians and cops who will lose revenue from speeding tickets.
For that to work;

- they'd have to actually really teach people how to drive
- the roads would have to be immaculate. a pothole shows up it's fixed right away.
- very harsh fines for irresponsible behavior (ie: a grandma pulled into the left lane in front of me going 40mph, I was doing 80mph. she continued doing 40mph.).

Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Slow poke laws are starting to target left lane plodders.

'Slowpoke' Laws Target Left-Lane Plodders | Fox Business

Old 05-03-2014, 03:35 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Oh, good grief no! I have a small car. Sometimes those big trucks and cars go whizzing by me on a windy day and almost blow me off the highway. They also splatter water and mud onto my windshield.

Besides that, there are enough kooky drivers out there now. They don't need an invitation to drive any worse.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:58 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Speed limits must be appropriate!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM

58 posts, read 76,272 times
We need lane limits, not speed limits. Most people don't follow the simple rule of slower moving traffic staying to the right.

The people in the far left lane doing 48 in a 60 is more of a hazard to the flow of traffic. Enforce the minimum limit as strict as the maximum limit.

If the fast lane was actually designated and enforced as an 80 to 90 mph lane then only those who are comfortable driving or have a vehicle capable of going that fast would be in that lane. Next lane over could be 70 mph, with the other two lanes consisting of (slower) 50-60 mph traffic.

The problem occurs when you have someone who's exit surprised them because they weren't paying attention (texting, eating a burger, lighting a smoke, changing the radio, putting on makeup, trying to feed a baby in the back seat) and now needs to slow down so they can cross 5 lanes of traffic in 100 yards at 35 mph so they can get off the freeway.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 PM

35 posts, read 55,438 times
I'm not sure we're ready for that. The one condition I'd say was absolutely necessary on American roads is to enforce the "Slower traffic keep right" principle. Develop consistent criteria for enforcement, and train police to ticket violators heavily. Even with that in place, I don't think I'd go for the elimination of speed limits. I also think that it would be a good idea for it to become police policy to allow for some moderate speeding so that when two cars found themselves riding side-by-side at the same speed, one could legally go over the limit for enough time to get safely ahead of the other and get back into the right lane. The logjams that develop because of herd-drivers are what cause a lot of multi-vehicle pile-ups, and a lot of road rage.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:31 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
No, I wouldn't. Because of the way you wrote it. You assume that people driving over the speed limit are "maniacs" yet you fail to realize that maniac behavior on the roads has very little to do with speed.

Go to an unrestricted portion of the German autobahn and tell me if they're driving like "maniacs".

Hint: they aren't.
It has been a while since I have been to Germany, but I did live there for a couple of years, so I will tell you my experience of high speed autobahn driving and all that is related to it.

1. German drivers have significantly better driver training than nearly all Americans.

2. German autobahns—at least when I lived there—had significantly smoother surfaces. The roads appeared new. No potholes anywhere. Well striped.

3. Rules are different. You could drive as fast as desirable in the unrestricted areas, but if you passed a car on the right, that was a serious moving violation. It simply was not done. Like it or not, most Germans respect rules.

3b. One rule I saw voluntarily respected at all times in Germany was that when people got together for parties or dinners out or nights in a beer hall, etc. , there was always a designated driver who did not drink, period.

4. If a German driver is at significant speed, they will flash their lights to alert you to move your car to the right. Take them seriously and move ASAP. At their high speed, they will be upon you so fast you will hardly believe it.

5. When I lived there, mobile phones were not commonplace and there was significantly less distraction.
(This is the main reason I would object to unrestricted speed on American roads. By the time someone gets a ticket here, s/he may have killed someone already. In fact, just this past week a girl tweeted she was so happy and within seconds she was dead.)

6. Germans and their vehicles have to have regular checkups (perhaps every two years) that extends to the safety kit they must carry in their trunk. It's called a TÃœV - car technical and safety inspection and there is a sticker one gets to place on the vehicle afterwards. This is not just a "smog control" check. It is serious business.

I'm sure there is more, but really, I do not trust most American drivers to handle unrestricted high speed
driving.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-04-2014 at 01:50 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:00 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I would not support unlimited speeds.. I'd maybe as a whole have the speed of interstates nationwide 5 MPH higher than they are... it's just safer to have people travelling similar speeds.

They should however be cracking down on the left lane hogs who refuse to move over for faster drivers..

I'd support maybe a speed limit of 80-85 in the great plains states, and 70-75ish everywhere else. People usually go 5 above though, which is fine by me and would be factored into the set speed limits... which means left lane hogs MOVE OVER for faster drivers, do not poke around in the left lane going the speed limit thinking nobody should be going faster YOU ARE WRONG! Get over yourselves.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-04-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
NO WAY! The US drivers are horrible. They drive in the left lane while not passing all the time, so many are driving vehicles that shouldn't be driven fast, like SUVs and Pickups. Now if people were driving good cars and people actually drove in the right lane unless they are passing, then maybe we could up the speed limit, but in the US with texting and whatever on top of the other things I mentioned, it shouldn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive