Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Then you havent' been paying attention or really looked at the video. Or know anything about sprint cars.
Oh? If you could, please enlighten us with your sophisticated wisdom on dirt track racing and break down the incident on the video by the second. I really must be missing something, the first car avoided him, Stewart grazed him. Again, BASED ON THE VIDEO, I do not believe he intended to hit him (obviously) but it does not appear that he tried to avoid him either.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,139,634 times
In this day and age, with every man, women, and child owning a smartphone only one person in the crowd filmed this?!?!? Sure The main video doesn't give the angles to determine everything. A zoomed out from the right side would explain it all. The police were looking for all videos and pics from the race and he isn't being charged. Watching the video it looks like Tony didn't do anything wrong, but a video zoomed out and from the right would explain it all good or bad, hopefully one exists. An older local race track employee here in MN was interviewed on news, he astonished on how long it took the safety crew to get to him after he crashed.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Exactly. One of the earlier posters was claiming he hit the kid at the edge of the track.

Seriously, when people are this far gone that they can't even objectively look at a video....they need to peel off whoevers race numbers they have stuck to their back window etc. and get a life.
But I don't have any race numbers on my back window, don't prefer any driver over another (except when I happen to be at a race and Danica Patrick is racing, I'm for her just cause she's a woman - and she also is on the same team as Tony). Before I saw the video, I automatically thought it was surely a freak accident. It was after I saw the video that I thought he was playing chicken with the kid and accidentally hit him. That combined with Tony's history makes me think that is the case. I could be wrong. There's another video, reportedly, and I hope that video shows what transpired more clearly.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:54 AM

592 posts, read 802,833 times
I think Tony Stewart is a thug and he should be held accountable for his actions.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Racing is dangerous.
Getting out of your vehicle in the middle of a race is more dangerous.
Walking in front of a race car at speed is suicidal.

Even while angry it's important do be able to do math on the fly in one's head.

180 lb. man vs 1,400 lb. metal object = bad outcome for man.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I agree.

But you know as well as I do that they won't stop, now or probably ever. 10 years from now, these same folks will be claiming that they hate Tony Stewart specifically because he "got away with murder" despite the fact that they already hated him before this tragic incident took place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Stewart did it on purpose, he caused his car to fishtail hitting the kid. You can see in the video when the kid was on the track pointing his finger at Stewart as he came closer, the kid suddenly tried to jump back because it seemed Stewart's car changed its course to hit him.

No doubt the kid was stupid to get on the track, but Stewart is a hot headed redneck that was probably trying to scare the kid. Hope he goes to jail. But probably won't, rich people don't go to jail unless they steal from other rich people. Killing a commoner doesn't matter to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I am not going to wade through 10 pages of NASCAR related banter but after watching the video of the incident I must say that I find it difficult to believe that Stewart did not see him and was unable to slow down or at least move farther out of the way. I also see the back end of the car kick out a little before he hits him and you can hear an engine (maybe his) definitely rev up at the same exact time. I don't think this one is going to be swept under the rug anytime soon.

I sincerely do not believe he hit him on purpose but I do think he could have easily avoided him... fooling around gone wrong IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Tony Stewart is a murderer. Point blank end of story. He will more than likely get away with it here in this world, but he will answer for it when all is said and done when he leaves this life and goes to the next one.
duster is right, and these posts prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Then you havent' been paying attention or really looked at the video. Or know anything about sprint cars.
very very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There is apparently a second video, from a different angle, that is being analyzed. That one has not been released to the public. Hopefully it sheds more light on what actually happened.
unless that video is from the cockpit of tonys car, it will not shed any new light on subject. remember the video that was posted shows a gods eye view of what happened, not a drivers eye view.

Quote:
Oh? If you could, please enlighten us with your sophisticated wisdom on dirt track racing and break down the incident on the video by the second. I really must be missing something, the first car avoided him, Stewart grazed him. Again, BASED ON THE VIDEO, I do not believe he intended to hit him (obviously) but it does not appear that he tried to avoid him either.
again you are only looking at the video that was posted, and again it only shows a gods eye view of the incident. there was a video posted in this thread that shows a drivers eye view of what it is like to drive a world of outlaws sprint car, check that video out, then try to make a determination of what tony saw. and note two things about the drivers eye video;

1: it is NOT of the incident, that is true, but it gives a much clearer idea of what the driver ACTUALLY sees

2: note the amount of mud that gets splattered on the camera lens, and then realize that sprint cars HAVE NO WINDSHIELDS to prevent said mud from collecting on the driver helmets, thus the tear offs on the drivers helmets.

haters are going to hate regardless of the evidence in front of them, but at least you can tone down your rhetoric.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
I think Tony Stewart is a thug and he should be held accountable for his actions.
go drive a world of outlaws sprint car and get an education before making stupid statements like this.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Ok, *I'VE* already been over this in this thread, but I'll tell you again, SPRINT CARS DON'T STOP FAST. They also don't steer at low speeds very well. In fact, if as I said in the thread (which you claimed you didn't read) you wanted to steer left, you goose it and the back moves RIGHT. Which would have been WORSE. In the split second that it took for the first car to swerve and Ward to angrily dart down toward TS's car, there was NO time to react in a normal car, much less with a goddamn Sprint car. And no one would be expecting the driver, in a dark suit, on a dark track, to dart TOWARD the race cars going by. ESPECIALLY not TS who would not have though that anyone was aiming for him at that point. The incednet a lap preio had TS in the racing line, ahead of Ward, who didnt' get out of the throttle and clipped the wall, spinning him out. NOT TS's fault, and so TS had nothing to tell him someone would, a lap later, be darting on foot towards his race car on his blind side in the ****ing dark. And TS had nothing to be angry at, sionce ward had done nothing to him, so there would be no anger at word causing him to try to "teach him a lesson" as some here would have us believe.

Tony got the car stopped as quick as a print car would stop from that speed (remember, they are direct drive, no clutch, no stopping unless the engine stops, too), which is why the camera can see Tony's car stopped a hundred feet or so after the incident.

Tony does have a history of getting angry at people who have wrecked him unnecessarily. This was not one of those cases. he woud not have even had time to react to a driver darting at him from his blind side in teh dark a mere secondafter the lead car swerved to miss Ward (because the lead car had a much better viewpoint and still almost hit him)

Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Blaming Tony Stewart for this death is akin to blaming a freight train for not being able to stop in time if you walk in front of a speeding locomotive.

12 years of dirt-track racing here. If I were to see somebody doing what this suicidal kid did I would probably think I was hallucinating. Fights in the pits -- yes, dirty driving -- yes, going up to another driver's car ON RED FLAG and being aggressive -- yes, walking into the middle of moving sprint cars at night -- NOT something that is done nor something that any driver would ever look for or anticipate..

I don't know how big this track is, but I imagine racing speeds are well over 100 mph, caution speeds probably well over 50 mph, IN THE DARK, ON DIRT and somebody marches out into traffic!

Anybody here who wishes to call Tony Stewart a murderer who has ever driven a race car on a dirt track at night?

I see no relevance to Tony's overall level of sportsmanship and neither criticize nor defend it.
This is a sad case of suicide by stupidity.

Don in Austin

Old 08-12-2014, 12:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Blaming Tony Stewart for this death is akin to blaming a freight train for not being able to stop in time if you walk in front of a speeding locomotive.

12 years of dirt-track racing here. If I were to see somebody doing what this suicidal kid did I would probably think I was hallucinating. Fights in the pits -- yes, dirty driving -- yes, going up to another driver's car ON RED FLAG and being aggressive -- yes, walking into the middle of moving sprint cars at night -- NOT something that is done nor something that any driver would ever look for or anticipate..

I don't know how big this track is, but I imagine racing speeds are well over 100 mph, caution speeds probably well over 50 mph, IN THE DARK, ON DIRT and somebody marches out into traffic!

Anybody here who wishes to call Tony Stewart a murderer who has ever driven a race car on a dirt track at night?

I see no relevance to Tony's overall level of sportsmanship and neither criticize nor defend it.
This is a sad case of suicide by stupidity.

Don in Austin
They were under caution, so they were not at racing speed. I read that Tony was probably going 30 to 45 mph when he hit Ward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive