Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM

19,179 posts, read 27,811,554 times

Advertisements

Prius V. Actually has plenty of cargo room and UNSURPASSED reliability and gas mileage.
Btw, it's not as lame to drive as some think. Take her out for test drive and step and hold. See what happens.
I wouldn't buy any car on your list, esp Mazda. Mazda has long ways to go to get out of Ford spell. We turned away from Honda completely and switched to Toyota. Much better cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,085 times
Subaru gets my pick! Has a good amount of power, space, and its all wheel drive!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,730,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I've always driven hand me down cars but I finally decided to get a brand new car because I need something reliable for work. I have gone on test drives and done SO MUCH research but I'm curious to know which you'd pick in my situation.

I've narrowed it down to - (all 2016 models, all basic trim)
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

I'm single, commute 50 miles a day mostly in highway traffic. I set up a table at flea markets as a hobby so I need to have cargo space. I also need it to be reliable in all weather but NJ doesn't have really crazy winters.

Options aren't that important to me but safety is. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic and sometimes it feels like I'm driving a lawn mower but I'd rather be driving a tank!

My favorite to drive was the Mazda. It was super peppy and a great ride, but it's still too soon for the safety ratings.

The Kia dealership is offering the best deal, but when you factor in gas mileage, the Fit wins.

Any advice would be appreciated!
check out the honda hrv or the 2016 civic which soon will be back as the hatchback from England
Sometimes you need to decide I love the fit but too small now have a crv old as 2002 but low miles

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-27-2015 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,497,643 times
Did you all see that Kia knocked Honda off the top best list?
Surprised everyone.

Thing to consider with AWD: if a tire gets damaged, sidewall for example,
after some wear on all the tires...guess what ...you have to replace all four.
That's not for me and glad I found out.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,730,936 times
Default honda

The 2016 civic from reviews is going to be great even the base model.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 PM

17,454 posts, read 12,395,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Did you all see that Kia knocked Honda off the top best list?
Surprised everyone.

That's not quite true. You can get the replacement tire shaved to match the depth of the 3 remaining good ones.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,786,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Regardless of the vehicle and/or the drive option . . .

Unless the tires are brand new or very close to being new, regardless of the vehicle or drive type, replacing just one tire is not a wise choice . . . ALWAYS REPLACE THE ENTIRE SET.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:46 PM

734 posts, read 925,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Regardless of the vehicle and/or the drive option . . .

Unless the tires are brand new or very close to being new, regardless of the vehicle or drive type, replacing just one tire is not a wise choice . . . ALWAYS REPLACE THE ENTIRE SET.
I never knew this. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Wow.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:19 PM

17,454 posts, read 12,395,940 times
With all the fancy gizmos and what not going on through the car as a whole, what really matters is 4 small rectangles...the contact patches of your tires. If one of those doesn't match the others' ability you're going to have all sorts of handling problems.

With 2WD you can usually replace in pairs but still not the wisest choice. However, with AWD uneven tread causes additional stress to the drivetrain.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,334,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

Options aren't that important to me but safety is. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic and sometimes it feels like I'm driving a lawn mower but I'd rather be driving a tank!
None of these small vehicles are tank like. For safety I might go with the AWD Subaru. Some tanks to consider are the Ford Taurus, the Chevy Impala and the AWD Dodge Charger(don't even look at the RWD one in NJ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive