Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:32 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,786,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
I'm definitely getting something new, but thanks!
An important question, SomervilleCat . . . how long do you plan to keep / drive this vehicle?

I'm one of those "car nuts" who prefers to buy top quality, maintain it in perfect condition and then keep it for at least a decade and most often much longer . . . therefore, I only purchase / drive U. S. Vehicles.

It has always been my experience either via one of my weaker moments or via my family members, neighbors and Car Club Buddies that foreign vehicles tend to be much more expensive and time consuming to maintain properly after a few years. Although none of your options, I am able to personally speak for Mercedes, BMW and VW.

So, is this going to be a two or three year vehicle and then trade it in for new or, like myself, a ten to possibly twenty year vehicle for the long haul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,863,637 times
If you want something bulletproof reliable the Toyota/Lexus brands top the list consistently from Consumers Reports and this site TrueDelta -- Real Car Owners Driving Real Car Information do a free login to view all results.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 AM

17,454 posts, read 12,395,940 times
Yep I took my old Celica to 200,000 miles with no repairs at all. Just regular maintenance.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,825,856 times
Quote:
I've always driven hand me down cars but I finally decided to get a brand new car because I need something reliable for work. I have gone on test drives and done SO MUCH research but I'm curious to know which you'd pick in my situation.

I've narrowed it down to - (all 2016 models, all basic trim)
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

Mazda - Great car if you don't need AWD.
Honda HR-V - Can be pricey and Honda doesn't haggle well, safety is a concern.
Kia Soul - Safety concern, this is made of tin can.
Honda Fit - good car but safety is a problem.
Subaru is the only car here with good safety if you can afford it.

So all of these only the CX-3 and Suby are solid choices for safety and good driving.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:50 AM

155 posts, read 306,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
An important question, SomervilleCat . . . how long do you plan to keep / drive this vehicle?

I'm one of those "car nuts" who prefers to buy top quality, maintain it in perfect condition and then keep it for at least a decade and most often much longer . . . therefore, I only purchase / drive U. S. Vehicles.

It has always been my experience either via one of my weaker moments or via my family members, neighbors and Car Club Buddies that foreign vehicles tend to be much more expensive and time consuming to maintain properly after a few years. Although none of your options, I am able to personally speak for Mercedes, BMW and VW.

So, is this going to be a two or three year vehicle and then trade it in for new or, like myself, a ten to possibly twenty year vehicle for the long haul?

I'm definitely not buying a US car or a Mercedes/BMW or VW. That's a personal preference, and I don't have the budget for the higher end. My budget is $23k and under.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM

155 posts, read 306,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Mazda - Great car if you don't need AWD.
Honda HR-V - Can be pricey and Honda doesn't haggle well, safety is a concern.
Kia Soul - Safety concern, this is made of tin can.
Honda Fit - good car but safety is a problem.
Subaru is the only car here with good safety if you can afford it.

So all of these only the CX-3 and Suby are solid choices for safety and good driving.

I'm curious what you think of as a safety problem? I agree that Subaru is the safest, but I don't think any of the other vehicles are not safe. The fit only because it is smaller.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:18 AM

30,831 posts, read 19,464,741 times
Quote:
I've always driven hand me down cars but I finally decided to get a brand new car because I need something reliable for work. I have gone on test drives and done SO MUCH research but I'm curious to know which you'd pick in my situation.

I've narrowed it down to - (all 2016 models, all basic trim)
1. Mazda CX-3
2. Honda HR-V
3. Honda Fit
4. Kia Soul
5. Subaru Impreza Wagon

I'm single, commute 50 miles a day mostly in highway traffic. I set up a table at flea markets as a hobby so I need to have cargo space. I also need it to be reliable in all weather but NJ doesn't have really crazy winters.

Options aren't that important to me but safety is. I currently drive a 2003 Honda Civic and sometimes it feels like I'm driving a lawn mower but I'd rather be driving a tank!

My favorite to drive was the Mazda. It was super peppy and a great ride, but it's still too soon for the safety ratings.

The Kia dealership is offering the best deal, but when you factor in gas mileage, the Fit wins.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I bought a Honda Fit for my son and it was a great car. Also owned Mazdas that were good. Haven't heard good things about Subaru and though Kia is getting better, I would trust Honda and Mazda more for the long haul. Since you need to haul stuff, I would go with the CX-3 or HR-V. I like the CX-3 styling a bit better so my overall recommendation would be that.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,130,350 times
Quote:
So I've narrowed and added some. I originally thought the forester was out of my price range but it's not as bad as I thought. Didn't test drive it though, so I'm going tomorrow.

Got rid of the hr-v and fit as I want to try something other than Honda.

The soul is an exceptionally good deal but I've never heard a bad thing about a Subaru and if I like the forester then I, gonna snag it.
If I may, I would suggest adding the base model Outback as well.

If it is in your price range, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the value it offers for its price.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:44 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,130,350 times
Quote:
I'm definitely getting something new, but thanks!

The question now is is the Subaru Forester worth $5k more than the Kia soul. I think it is, but I'm also trying to be frugal and I feel like the Soul is a great deal.
Just remember that like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 AM

194 posts, read 239,250 times
Just got my Subaru 2 years ago, and I'll never drive any other vehicle ever again. I've had Honda and Mazda. Never ever going back. Love AWD, the handling, the sound, everything. Very safe cars as well. My kids will get ours when they grow, and we will get new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive