Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
My new car is pearl white. It will be interesting to see how much work it takes to keep it looking nice.
Unless you get actual dirt on it (like kicking up dirty snow), it won't show much. The only other time it's obvious is during high pollen levels you'll see the yellow film, but that's with any color (except yellow/tan/beige). It was fine all winter until the snow started to come and everyone's spraying dirt/sand. I love my white. It's also classy & sporty looking at the same time.

Another issue is brake dust build-up (gah beemers) and that contrasts too much with the white. Need to clean that more than the car itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:48 PM

350 posts, read 416,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm getting a car soon and a lot of the ones that I'm looking at that are used are black. I have never owned a black car, and I live in a townhouse where a garage is not an option. For those that own this color, and/or are in a similar situation to me, would you get the color again? How high maintenance is the cleaning of it?
Not if I continue to live in Florida. Originally purchased in NJ then moved. Maintenance is the same as any other color IMHO - if you don't wash a white car it looks awful. If you don't have a garage, a black car will be awfully hot in the summer.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Any shade of gray is better than black - silver or even charcoal stand up better to dirt. Black is worse than white because most mud and salt dry to a fairly light color that contrasts worst with black.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm getting a car soon and a lot of the ones that I'm looking at that are used are black. I have never owned a black car, and I live in a townhouse where a garage is not an option. For those that own this color, and/or are in a similar situation to me, would you get the color again? How high maintenance is the cleaning of it?
No.

Just kinda boring and really looks dirty easily.

Don't get me wrong. A black car thats really clean and shiny can look like it's made out of liquid in a really awesome way under some street lights.

And I don't buy silver or white cars because I care about cleanliness that much.

But black really shows dirt so immediately and obviously that it takes away from all the coolness of being black.

Now my daily driver is a high in sports car convertible. My philosophy is all those car should be red. But my truck is gunmetal/charcoal grey. More interesting than black and looks good all the time.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,844,217 times
I have a black '62 Grand prix, a black '15 Wrangler, and had a black '69 Corvette for years. As long as you keep a quality wax on the paint (I like Zaino), they are easy to keep clean. Dirt/dust rinses right off. It literally might be an extra 10 minutes a week to keep them looking pristine over a more neutral color.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
I had a white Grand Prix GTP back in the 90's and it wasn't too bad to keep clean actually so yeah I definitely give a nod to white. It looks really good on certain cars too.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I have a black '62 Grand prix, a black '15 Wrangler, and had a black '69 Corvette for years. As long as you keep a quality wax on the paint (I like Zaino), they are easy to keep clean. Dirt/dust rinses right off. It literally might be an extra 10 minutes a week to keep them looking pristine over a more neutral color.

Yup. Being scared of keeping a black car clean seems like a lazy excuse, as it's not hard, even if you only wash the car once a week or once a month, so long as it has a good coat of wax (which really goes for any car color).

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
I have owned cars or trucks in the following colors: Red, Green, White, Black, and Maroon. Black is the only color I wouldn't get again.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:03 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Currently own a black F-150. Would trade it in for all white in a heartbeat....too hot in SoCal for a black truck.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Never clean and hot as hell in the summer.
You live in Florida, so any car is hot as hell in the summer, as it is in my state, (Texas). I am amazed by how few people use a simple cheap sunscreen for their cars here. Probably 80% don't even on the hottest summer days. I think they don't because they don't want to spend 30 seconds putting it on and taking it off. When it's hot, I use one everywhere I go and when my car is parked my driveway, and it reduces the internal temperature by probably 40+ degrees. To me, it's certainly worth the minimal investment in my time to keep from working my A/C to death and overheating me while it's doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
No way. My current car is black and my next one certainly won't be. My car is a sauna in the summer. I sweat the second I step in. My seats are black leather as well making it even worse.
It's probably the leather that your primary problem, not the color. With my sunscreen and cloth seats with seat covers, my car cools down quickly with A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
Just looked at a Forbes article on the popularity colors of new cars for 2015.

In my opinion white cars always look like they were never finished, while silver and gray are almost invisible.

Just my two cents.
This. My wife told me that vehicle researchers have done studies and found that silver cars were most likely to get hit by other vehicles because their color was difficult to see, especially in cloudy/rainy/snowy weather. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's certainly logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive