Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 12:36 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times

Advertisements

If this happened here in Ontario, this idiot would have had this happen.....

Speeding at double the posted speed limit, regardless of that the limit is......Results in the roadside seizure of the car, an automatic 7 day license suspension, and a Provincial Offence Notice to appear before a Judge within 20 days. At trial, if convicted the MINIMUM FINE is Two Thousand Dollars, and a 12 month license suspension. The maximum fine is 10 Thousand Dollars, at the discretion of the Judge.

Here is a link to the official section of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act that covers this offence.

Driver's Handbook

And of course as automobile insurance is mandatory in Ontario, the cost of being insured, after being convicted of this particular offence is going to be VERY high. Most insurance companies will not write a policy for this type of record....so the one company that WILL insure this type of driver charges astronomical fees, and you have to pay the entire year's worth of premiums , in advance. Or don't drive !

The fine for "driving with out valid insurance " is Five Thousand Dollars for the first offence, the second conviction for that offence, brings a fine of up to Twenty Thousand Dollars.

Are we serious about this ? Yes we are.

Jim B.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 03-08-2016 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Like others have said, get a lawyer immediately. Hope for the best, but be prepared to do some jail time. VA does not fool around when it comes to reckless driving.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
You will need a lawyer, though the positive points that you have will offset the negative, but that would be a factor for insurance risk. You were more than double the speed limit in Fairfax, of all places, much less the City of Fairfax, a place like the City of Falls Church, Towns of Vienna and Herndon, places where anyone who has been in the area for more than a week knows to watch their speed judiciously.

What time if day was this? Were you traveling on a road that crosses the city limit where the lights turn to flashing yellow after 10? I know someone who was driving west into the city and didn't drop from the 45 zone and proceeded at speed because of the flashing lights, and she got out of the ticket, but she was not going anywhere near your speed. I think it was because of the hour and no traffic that she was able to get just a warning, and she was not exceeding the speed zone that she had just exited.

Just as an FYI, there is no speed limit higher than 35 in the City of Fairfax, including roads that traverse the county that have higher speed limits just outside the city borders. Like Herndon, and Vienna, the independent municipalities in the county tend to set lower speed limits, such as Maple Avenue dropping to 30, but outside Vienna it's 35, and in Fairfax dropping from 45 to 35 on the same type of road, with similar traffic density. Falls Church drops Broad Street to 25, and it's perhaps the biggest speed trap in Northern Virginia, especially headed west with a downslope.

See what your lawyer recommends, and you will likely have to take traffic safety class. I would not go to court without a lawyer, as a prosecutor will not want to deal with you, but will talk to your lawyer to see if the case can be adjudicated with a lesser offense, sometimes with a higher fine.

And, I would not go with a cheap lawyer. Hire one with a good track record, since they have better strategies for reduction, and can be realistic with your chances. Dismissal is not an option in this case, unless there was faulty equipment with which you were clocked, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-08-2016, 01:24 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,383,369 times
OP, at this point your driving record is the least of your worries; you should be more concerned about going to jail. I'm not sure what it's like in Fairfax but down here in southern Virginia, I know a judge who would give you jail time for going that fast! You were going 42 mph over the limit.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:58 PM

256 posts, read 453,283 times
Not to add any more insult to injury, and even after sharing some of my stories to lighten the mood a little. I wonder if the OP will need to carry SR-22?

My brother in-law carried it for a while because of incidents like this. He was not allowed to drive our vehicle, the insurance company sent a letter stating if he drives our car and gets into an accident, we would be liable and they would not cover us any further, nor cover any damages.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM

131 posts, read 112,504 times
3 words: "get - a - lawyer"

Old 03-08-2016, 02:19 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Not to add any more insult to injury, and even after sharing some of my stories to lighten the mood a little. I wonder if the OP will need to carry SR-22?

My brother in-law carried it for a while because of incidents like this. He was not allowed to drive our vehicle, the insurance company sent a letter stating if he drives our car and gets into an accident, we would be liable and they would not cover us any further, nor cover any damages.
I'm a little confused by your post I have an SR 22 in my closet. Are we talking about the same thing?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'm a little confused by your post I have an SR 22 in my closet. Are we talking about the same thing?
SR22 is high risk liability.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
It's speeding in Virginia: The choice is Lethal Injection or Electric Chair.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Only place worse to speed than Fairfax, Va is on a military base.

Get a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive