Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:07 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,521,460 times

Advertisements

When the car behind me is on a two lane road and so close I can't see the headlights I slow down and move to the right edge of the road. In NC we often have turnouts for residential developments and I will move over into that and slow or stop there.
God does not give points for brake checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 11:10 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They know exactly what you are doing and you are only pissing them off. So move over & let them pass safely, if you're on a four-laner.
first off, I'm not on a 4 lane, it's a 2 lane back country road, speed limit is 45 mph.

I'm pissing them off, listen dude, I am just as important as they are, I'm driving the speed limit...and it's a double yellow line so they can't pass....

Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When the car behind me is on a two lane road and so close I can't see the headlights I slow down and move to the right edge of the road. In NC we often have turnouts for residential developments and I will move over into that and slow or stop there.
God does not give points for brake checking.
sometimes I do....it depends on my mood....but if I'm going the speed limit, than if the guy behind me is in a hurry, he should have left earlier.

what is it with people who actually believe this is ok?

God doesn't give points for tail gating either....do he?

Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
"Brake checking" ≠ "checking the brakes".

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/15/...investigation/
Ummm . Your link describes what happened in the video (can't see right now). The description sounds just like what I said. The first vehicle had to push the brakes enough to feel them. That results in them slowing down, which caused the tailgater to hit him.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Ummm . Your link describes what happened in the video (can't see right now). The description sounds just like what I said. The first vehicle had to push the brakes enough to feel them. That results in them slowing down, which caused the tailgater to hit him.
yeah and the stupid woman behind doing the tail gating was given a citation....

she deserved it, period.

there is no reason on God's green earth why you have to travel so close to someone at those speeds....again, people are down right stupid and then on top of that, people are on their phones, texting....??????

I'm glad she wasn't hurt, hopefully she'll wise up

Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The intent is different from what you're describing. "Checking the brakes" = finding out for yourself that they work. "Brake checking (someone)" = slamming on your brakes to get someone to back off. The latter happened in this video.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:34 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The intent is different from what you're describing. "Checking the brakes" = finding out for yourself that they work. "Brake checking (someone)" = slamming on your brakes to get someone to back off. The latter happened in this video.
Okay, I see where we're getting mixed up. I know that "Brake Checking" isn't to actually check if you're brakes are working. It's a term used as an excuse, "I was just checking that my brakes worked when he hit me officer!" Yes, I know no officer would believe that. The phrase obviously means something different from what it says. However, I do not think it applies when someone is just flashing their lights, but another poster here says it does. I don't disagree with you.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
oh I see, and the person running up your butt at 45 55 MPH isn't egotistical....sorry dude, and you thought by tail gating you'd make him go faster....? and you call him the idiot....if you were going 65 or 70 MPH, you could have taken your time, backed off, etc....what, you think you own the road, and everyone should do to please you? you should have never been tailgating and if a cop had seen you, you would have gotten a ticket....now, I'm not at all for slamming on my breaks, but I will blink my lights if someone is that stupid to drive that closely behind me.

what if a deer had run out in front of him? And btw, you hit him your at fault for driving so closely behind.

People driving like you should be fined heavily, and loose your license, that to me is putting someone else's life in danger.

sheesh, and he's the idiot?
I am thinking you need to speak with your son a bit more because I don't believe you actually understand the law. Aggressive driving is ALSO against the law and blocking the left lane and then brake checking someone is considered aggressive driving.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I am thinking you need to speak with your son a bit more because I don't believe you actually understand the law. Aggressive driving is ALSO against the law and blocking the left lane and then brake checking someone is considered aggressive driving.
Hitting your brakes for no reason is also against the law. It does not matter how hard you hit them. Light up your brake lights for no reason and you can be ticketed.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I consider someone tail gating aggressive driving, but that's just me....and yes, I've spoken to my son about this, and he's actually had to give out tickets for tail gating, he says he sees it all the time....
around where I live, they don't give out tickets much, b/c they're way to busy on other calls. Seems every time communities cut back, its always police and fire companies....so?

I will have to ask him about brake checking, and get back to you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive