Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When doing a brake check some will actually accelerate a bit and use their left foot for the brake check. Just enough to have the brake lights come on but not engage the brakes. That way the tailgater will not hit you.
So you only end up injuring the people behind him and possibly the tailgater.

I hate tailgating passionately, but trying cause injury or death to the tailgater and the people behind them seems a bit extreme.

Brake checking is actually slamming on the brakes hence the use of "checking" you are "checking" their brakes to see how well they work. However making them panic and slam on their brakes, then causes the person behind them to hit them, or to panic stop. Somewhere in the chain, there will be a collision, all caused by your little game.

Just slow down until the pass you or back off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I hate tailgating passionately, but trying cause injury or death to the tailgater and the people behind them seems a bit extreme.

Brake checking is actually slamming on the brakes hence the use of "checking" you are "checking" their brakes to see how well they work. However making them panic and slam on their brakes, then causes the person behind them to hit them, or to panic stop. Somewhere in the chain, there will be a collision, all caused by your little game.

well, a lot of times I just pull over to the side, when I can and let them pass....

but way too many people go too fast and follow way too closely.....for conditions, that is part of the reason you have so many pile ups...

Old 03-02-2018, 02:52 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It will, eventually, I'm just now trying to find out exactly how many drivers do not know what it is...then we'll discuss....

I believe something is being lost in America....and this is just one issue, that a whole lot of drivers have no idea what brake checking is...especially women.
I'm a woman, and I know what brake checking is. I do not employ brake checking.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
At pro car racing, you never see anyone purposely brake check because they know if they did they will be on the receiving end of getting t-bone or pushed to a wall. Majority of accidents on a racetrack is someone that bumps or pushes the lead car off the road. So I don't know why someone would dare to brake check unless they are stupid because the car doing the hitting has a higher chance of survival than the one getting hit.

Just look at most drunk driving accidents, the one that lives is the drunk that didn't stop in time.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Break checking, do you know what break checking is?
Yes, it's when you look at the clock to see if it's time to go on break yet.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Is break checking anything like break dancing?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

no one is trying to cause injury....you simply tap your brakes to say, please back off a little.

Break checking is NOT slamming on your breaks.....

as a matter of fact, when your driving across country and a truck is passing me, I always blink my lights when he is clear and that tells him, he can come back over in the slow lane, and to thank me, he'll blink his tail lights, or brake check me.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:53 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
no one is trying to cause injury....you simply tap your brakes to say, please back off a little.

Break checking is NOT slamming on your breaks.....
To answer your question in post #1: yes, I know what brake checking is. But you don't seem to.

What you're describing is brake tapping. It's less dangerous, but no less annoying, especially when done for no reason whatsoever. I don't tailgate people because I hate when people tailgate me, but when someone in front of you is incapable of simply lifting off the gas for a brief moment in order not to go to fast and instead taps the brake every single time in order to slow down, it infuriates me.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
To answer your question in post #1: yes, I know what brake checking is. But you don't seem to.

What you're describing is brake tapping. It's less dangerous, but no less annoying, especially when done for no reason whatsoever. I don't tailgate people because I hate when people tailgate me, but when someone in front of you is incapable of simply lifting off the gas for a brief moment in order not to go to fast and instead taps the brake every single time in order to slow down, it infuriates me.
yanno what, you guys come from a whole different generation.....when I was young and driving break checking was exactly as I explained....it was an unspoken request, that's all...period.

you guys take offense much to easy, in other words, you go to the other end of the spectrum....everything within moderation...

I just explained what the truckers did to thank me....you call it brake tapping we called it break checking, which is what we all learned, of course, back then we didn't have to use it, b/c people were much more considerate of each other.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
yanno what, you guys come from a whole different generation.....when I was young and driving break checking was exactly as I explained....it was an unspoken request, that's all...period.
How do you know what generation I come from? Moreover, this isn't important. If things are different now, it behooves you to adapt to today's environment, not expect the environment to bend to your habits.
Quote:
you guys take offense much to easy, in other words, you go to the other end of the spectrum....everything within moderation...
I don't take offense to it. I consider it to be dangerous. One should only use the brake pedal on the highway if the situation actually warrants it, like there's an obstacle. Otherwise, what happens if you brake and hit a patch of ice? It's just dangerous.
Quote:
I just explained what the truckers did to thank me....you call it brake tapping we called it break checking, which is what we all learned, of course, back then we didn't have to use it, b/c people were much more considerate of each other.
And the grass was greener and the water was wetter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive