Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Is that like spill checking, OOPS, spell checking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If you know the answer to this question, please don't answer it...I'm just curious to see, how many people in this world today, actually know what break checking is?

This subject comes up many times, at work with older people my age...and I've even discussed it with my son, and his answer is, "I don't know what they are teaching the younger generation today, but they sure don't know what break checking is".

Do you? Just a yes or no answer will do....please don't give it away?

Break checking is like break dancing ,except with a partner.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:30 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
A dumb move that unsafely/unnecessarily slows the motion of your car when someone is behind you.....brake check!

I will activate just my brake-lights in certain situations by just touching the brakes, thusly activating the micro-switch..........only do it to make the person behind me aware that I may be slowing/stopping.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If you know the answer to this question, please don't answer it...I'm just curious to see, how many people in this world today, actually know what break checking is?

This subject comes up many times, at work with older people my age...and I've even discussed it with my son, and his answer is, "I don't know what they are teaching the younger generation today, but they sure don't know what break checking is".

Do you? Just a yes or no answer will do....please don't give it away?
Yes I do and it is an asinine thing to do.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:56 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
It's a d-bag move to do.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
"Break" checking is when your boss checks on you to make sure you don't spend too much time on break.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:03 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
When doing a brake check some will actually accelerate a bit and use their left foot for the brake check. Just enough to have the brake lights come on but not engage the brakes. That way the tailgater will not hit you.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:28 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When doing a brake check some will actually accelerate a bit and use their left foot for the brake check. Just enough to have the brake lights come on but not engage the brakes. That way the tailgater will not hit you.
thank you, I actually didn't know that?

Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Cremebrulee said, "It used to be a very nice way of asking the driver to back off a bit...." No, it wasn't nice then and it's not nice now. There's nothing nice about the whole situation.
what do you mean, it wasn't nice?

All we did was tap our breaks to ask the person who is tail gating to please back off a little? Why are you getting so upset?

I'll tell you what is upsetting, when I'm driving to work in the morning and it's dark, along a road where deer are plentiful and often times hit...I hit one on that road already...now double the stress by someone riding your butt and a deer runs out in front of you and you have to slam on the breaks for real......

which is worse, a reminder to the person driving on your butt, to please back off b/c maybe they arent' thinking or daydreaming, or to have a deer run out in front of you, and slamming on the breaks, and the person behind you hits you.

There is no reason on God's green earth to tail gate someone, it's rude and blinds you while driving in the dark.....

break checking was always a nice way of perhaps nicely asking the guy to wake up and back off a little. Staying 3 - 4 cars behind someone is a good and safe practice.

when my dad taught me to drive, he suggested I break check when someone was on my tail....just to wake them up....that was when I was 17, and I'm almost 70 now, so....and I still break check, doesn't mean I'm being mean to someone, just asking them to back off a bit....

Old 03-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Brake checking is tapping your brake pedal to make the brake lights come on when someone is tailgating you. It can make the tailgater panic and slam his brakes on. If you can, wait until they are taking a sip of a drink. That will teach him........LOL
well then if the person is too close, of course they would panic a bit, but break checking is not meant to panic anyone, it's to ask them to please back off a bit, in the event a deer runs out, best to be patient, and do so...plus lights can be blinding when your riding someone's butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive