Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Well, there's also the real brake check, just before most steep downhill grades.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
I break check all the time. Today I made sure I didn't have much work to do before I took my lunch break.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I thought a break check is done with an xray.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Break check, I do about 5 minutes before break, or when something is broken.

When I was young I got a check on Friday, and on Tuesday I am broke again.

Brake check ... I have a light on my dash which once showed Check Engine .
I opened the hood and found out my engine is still there.

Maybe some day the Check Brake light will come on ?

Funny subject sometimes on the forum ...
Oh well !

Old 03-22-2016, 02:55 PM

259 posts, read 268,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
funny "Brake Checking" video

this guy in a van traveling very slow in the left (fast) lane brake checks a tailgater.... who happens to be a cop trying to move him over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrEf3-O2s8
That's not how you do a brake check.. this is how you do it.

Group

"I certainly don't condone this at all."
-Someone named Donald something

Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I'm a woman and I know what brake checking is, also what body checking is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Wrong, if you would have read thru this thread, you'd know, this was you don't go over the speed limit on a back country road....

and if you get behind me, tail gating me won't move me over...or move me faster then the speed limit
I'm talking about a road with deer traveling across it.....

Honestly, I used to feel like that when I was on a country road, but I finally got to the point where I'd just pull over and let the idiots pass. Why should I have to worry about someone practically camped on my bumper and get to work or get home all stressed out? Let them hit the deer and total their car. Besides, we had cops camped out all along the road. Let the I'm-in-a-hurry dudes flush 'em out.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Yes. The cure for unauthorized car surfing / bumper riding

Begs the question:
If we really go to "smart" cars will the dashboard assembly high 'body check' the driver who tailgates?

A synaptic thread of levity:

Break dancing
Car surfing
Brake checking
Knee steering
Sanpchat sexting
One hand texting
Construction ahead
Driver dead

As general rule, I let aggressive driver pass. Did have one about two months ago looking for trouble. Four lane main arterial 25 mph I'm going 30-32 in left lane. someone in right going about same. Donkey driver rides my rear bumper. At stop light goes into the left turning lane to accelerate past me when light turns green. I gave the car the high beams. Then anxious aggressive driver in hurry gets cocky enough to slow down and pulls over to right and stop to apparently confront. Conveniently, the moron didn't know the area and had done so right in front of the fire / police station. I turned right into it. Driver then sped off.

First time in my life I was afraid of another driver and then said a rare prayer "Please let the driver in the vehicle only hurt themselves when they crash". Amen.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:31 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Isn't that what truckers do at the top of the hill before that 8 percent downhill grade?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:35 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OK, so lets discuss tailgaters....anyone?
Sure.

Tailgaters are annoying idiots.... They're just accidents waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sure GTFOftheway and I won't tail gate you.

Really though if your in a left hand lane and are determined to enforce the speed limit to others behind you without moving over you are just begging to get tail gated.

I absolutely hate drivers, usually past 60 that think they are the Speed Nazis of the Highway.
No matter how much you hate them, it still doesn't justify tailgating.

I don't care how slow the idiot in front of you is going .... back off and don't tailgate. It's people like you that routinely ruin my daily commute with the accidents you cause.

And, no, I don't hang out in the left lane doing the speed limit. I'm not a speed nazi.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I thought this would lead somewhere political and controversial.

its all bushes fault!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive