Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 28,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If you know the answer to this question, please don't answer it...I'm just curious to see, how many people in this world today, actually know what break checking is?

This subject comes up many times, at work with older people my age...and I've even discussed it with my son, and his answer is, "I don't know what they are teaching the younger generation today, but they sure don't know what break checking is".

Do you? Just a yes or no answer will do....please don't give it away?
Yes, of course. It was discussed in driver's ed class in the early 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 AM

568 posts, read 962,358 times
I just hit the flasher button once or twice without even getting off cruise control. That works every time.
Works especially well when that person is so close behind you cant even see their headlights! They almost get it in the yahoo from the person travelling behind them since tailgaters travel like a train. Gotta love it!!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:54 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Brake checking can result in an assault charge against you if it leads to an accident. I was certainly taught not to do it in driver's ed.
https://jimcorleylaw.wordpress.com/2...jury-recovery/

Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OMG, it's way to early....your right...
Apparently it's still too early in the day for you.
Unless you were talking about somebody's legal rights, you should have written "you're right".

Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I never had heard the term, but from replies on this thread I get the gist. Two questions come to mind:

1) why would you do it?
2) why is this on a politics forum?
Q: 1) why would you do it?.... This tactic is most commonly performed by slow drivers who think everyone should drive slow too, they want to feel a sense of power, they will usually hog the fast lane and go really slow or ride alongside a car in the right lane in order to completely block the hwy to faster drivers...... when a faster motorist tailgates them to "move em over" they get mad and "Brake Check" the tailgater...sometimes with disastrous results

Q: 2) why is this on a politics forum?..... that's a great question perhaps the OP can answer, I would have posted this thread in the Automotive section

Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Break checking is when the boss puts a camera in the break room to catch those taking breaks for too long. Right?

Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
funny "Brake Checking" video

this guy in a van traveling very slow in the left (fast) lane brake checks a tailgater.... who happens to be a cop trying to move him over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JrEf3-O2s8
Wow ... both win annoying driver of the day trophies.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Apparently it's still too early in the day for you.
Unless you were talking about somebody's legal rights, you should have written "you're right".

yeah I shoulda but I didn't....

Old 03-22-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
Q: 1) why would you do it?.... This tactic is most commonly performed by slow drivers who think everyone should drive slow too, they want to feel a sense of power, they will usually hog the fast lane and go really slow or ride alongside a car in the right lane in order to completely block the hwy to faster drivers...... when a faster motorist tailgates them to "move em over" they get mad and "Brake Check" the tailgater...sometimes with disastrous results

Q: 2) why is this on a politics forum?..... that's a great question perhaps the OP can answer, I would have posted this thread in the Automotive section
Wrong, if you would have read thru this thread, you'd know, this was you don't go over the speed limit on a back country road....

and if you get behind me, tail gating me won't move me over...or move me faster then the speed limit
I'm talking about a road with deer traveling across it.....

and your the reason why there are pileups in bad weather....

I don't know why I posted this here, prolly used to posting in the political forum....so move this thread to automotive if you like...I don't care

Old 03-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I just hit the flasher button once or twice without even getting off cruise control. That works every time.
Works especially well when that person is so close behind you cant even see their headlights! They almost get it in the yahoo from the person travelling behind them since tailgaters travel like a train. Gotta love it!!
thats a great idea, thanks for the idea.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive