Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,874,625 times

Advertisements

Three that resulted in vehicular damage. First was when I was 18, turning left at a 4 lane intersection with a 2 lane street. I pulled out blindly since a SUV was turning from the other direction and I did not see the oncoming car until I was across the center line. I stopped, but the other guy didn't and swerved into me. My fault.

Second was when I was crossing a busy 4 lane each way street with an esplanade in the center. I pulled across one side and stopped at an angle so I could watch for an opening and not block the traffic I just crossed. Unknown to me, the idiot that was behind me pulled up to my left side, just as I was starting to turn into the left lane. So we hit on the front corners of our vehicles.

Last was on our freeway in traffic about 15 years ago. I was not paying attention and traffic had stopped in front of me and I hit a guy in a Datsun pickup at about 10 mph or so. Bent down his tube bumper ("totaled" his truck!) and broke the headlights, turn signals and dented the hood and radiator core support on my Mustang. Then on the way home, my hood flew open and dented the cowl by the windshield. Not a good day. But I did get a replacement hood the correct color and used headlights for about $200!

I've been rear ended a few times, but luckily nothing was damaged beyond a few scratches to the bumper cover.

Oh, forgot about the idiot that ran into me for honking at him (a bit excessively, I do admit) for running a stop sign in front of me where I had to slam on my brakes and swerve to miss him. He saw me and rushed across anyway. He was so hurt that he had to swerve into my wife's vehicle as I passed him later on. Luckily, my slamming on the brakes and turning the wheel kept him from hitting anything metal. He got a busted mirror and tire dents and rubber marks along his passenger door. All I had was some scraped paint on the edges of plastic fender flares.

That was enough for me. Hopefully no more, but I do live in Houston, so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
3. All involving an at-fault van. One was a drunk driver that tried to flee the scene. The other two were moms distracted by their kids in the back.

So in my experience having children in the car is twice as dangerous as a drunk driver. They should be banned before text messaging.

Last edited by notnamed; 05-20-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 02:42 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times
One. Way back in the 80's, I was driving my 79 Mustang. Stop and go traffic on a major highway. Car behind me decided to go while we were stilled stopped. Hit me hard enough for me to hit the car in front of me. Looked in my rear view mirror and car that hit me had crumpled hood and steam coming from radiator. I was afraid to get out and look at my damage. I thought at least broken tail lights. Got out and slowly walked to the back of my car. I had a red paint scratch on my bumper. That was it. Damage to the front of my car was a bent license plate. Car that hit me was a Pinto. It was totaled by her insurance. I never made a claim against her but her insurance called me multiple times because they didn't believe her story especially since I had so little damage. I don't know if her insurance ever paid her. I really felt bad about that.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:54 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,750,142 times
My wife has had 6 incidents. Three times rear ended when stopped in traffic. Once hit head on by a truck that turned the wrong way into a one way street. Once by a tire that fell of a car and came bouncing down the road into her car. She got cut off on a Interstate and kissed the left rear side/end of her car off a guard rail. All in all, never her fault.

I have had several. Once in a parking lot I pulled out at the end of a parking lane and I got T-boned. Car was totaled. My fault. I once got hit pretty bad in the rear end when stopped at a traffic light. I T-boned a car that made a quick right turn in front of me.

As a passenger I was in very bad wreck. The driver hit wet leaves on a back road curve and shot off into the woods. That one was before seat belts and there were some messy injuries. I broke an ankle and 3 ribs. One of the girls got cut bad when her face went through the windshield. Another girl broke her hip. The driver had smashed ace and broken ribs. The tricky part was the girls were married to other guys.....LOL

Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM

759 posts, read 637,513 times
None... been driving 26 years.

One thing I've learned over the years is how to drive in the rain (I spent a lot of time in the deep south with the thunderstorms) and I've been in Washington state for the last 5 years.

I see more single car accidents here on damp roads... people spinning out and going off the road or into a guard rail. You'd think that people who live in an area that sees rainy damp conditions for 250+ days a year would know how to drive in it... but they don't.

A rainy day you will see at least 8 different accidents around Seattle metro... LOL

Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM

423 posts, read 610,466 times
We have being lucky. I know I like to drive fast (but not unsafe) and I sometimes follow too close. So I had close calls and I was able to stop in time. But those behind me didn't stop in time.

In 20+ years, I have being in 5 accidents. 4 were other drivers' fault: rear ended 2 times, side swiped (other driver didn't check blind spot), and once was in parking garage other driver backed up into me.

In 1 accident, I was in the middle. I rear ended truck in front of me, then another car hit me in the rear. My car was totaled. I should be at fault for damage to my car's front. The truck I hit had minor bumper damage and he never claimed the insurance. So I don't know how insurance considered the fault.

My wife has not being in any moving accident. She just tend to hit stationary objects: poles in parking garage, meters parallel parking, home garage door jam, etc. These resulted in dents and scratches, but we never made any claims.

So right now, we have really low insurance premium. Knock on wood. Hope this continues.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
One, it was nasty and my fault....nobody got a scratch though, than G*d!!!

Making a hairy maneuver across traffic, I had enough time....until that crotch-rocket came out of nowhere. My rental-car was totaled, so was the motorcycle.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
In 14 years of driving one. Tire blew on me on the highway and I lost control of my car. Technically, I didn't "crash" but the explosion of the tire totaled the car.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:19 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,520 times
I'm 61 years old and I've never had an accident that I caused. But we were on vacation one time and old guy rear ended me in Florida as we were slowing down to turn into a restaurant parking lot. There was a really weird experience because he refused to roll down his window or get out of the car when I went back to see if he was OK. Then later I found out from my insurance company that he had not reported the accident to his insurance company so I had to get his phone nmber from the police report and call the man to remind him to call his insurance. I would say he was about 80 years old.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Five minor accidents with no injuries. Two were my fault. One was both of our faults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive